Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 48

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Route - root or rowt, depending
    Route = root
    Rout = rowt
    but I have succumbed to router = rowter.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I called them lightening bugs growing up also (NY).

We used to put them in jars to make lanterns, then be sad in the morning when we just had a jar of dead bugs. Then we'd do it all over again.

buoy - I've heard both boo-ee and boy

I think once you leave the North East, hamburger become ground beef.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Pecan - pee-kahn
    Sorry Crabby... but a PEE can is something you put under your bed at night..... I think JoanieL has it right....

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Caramel - Car- ml
    Been - bin
    Bowie - Boo-ee
    Crayon - cray-ahn
    Lawyer - loy- yer

Slaw - Anything involving amounts of julienned veggies and some form of vinaigrette
    Addressing a group of people - y'all. "All y'all" when referring to a larger group that the smaller group is part of. (Y'all students, all y'all university people)
    Mayonnaise - man- aze
    Pajamas, second syllable - puh-jah-muzz
    Pecan - pih-kahn
    Generic term for sweetened carbonated beverage - A soda, or the proper name of the soda involved

American mini-lobster critter - Any or all of mudbug, crawdad, or crawfish

Number 13: They don't exist here, but I've always called them roundabouts.
    Syrup - seer-up
    The long sandwich - a sub. Although I recognize hoagie and po- boy.
    The public cool water dispenser - water fountain
    Generic term for rubber soled, athletic or gym shoes -tennis shoes

Big road with fast speeds - highway or freeway, depending on the size (up to two lanes per direction, highway; over two lanes per direction, freeway)
    When it rains while the sun is shining - Devil's beating his wife
    What I mean when I talk about "the City" - I never use this term, as it's too generic
    Drive-through liquor store - None of the above. Down here, they're Eskimo Huts (company name), or beer barns
    Mary/merry/marry - all three are the same
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Sorry Crabby... but a PEE can is something you put under your bed at night..... I think JoanieL has it right....
    That word will be the one thing that finally breaks this country up into several smaller sections - all depending on how the natives grew up pronouncing it. And the tree doesn't even grow everywhere!

I have actually heard the word come out of people's mouths as pee-can. And, yes, a pee can is just as you describe. That pronunciation is horrible. But I do not say that - mine is pee-kahn. Not too much stress on the first syllable, lest you think I go around saying PEE-can.

So now naiad, myself, and Joanie/doc have our pronunciations - see, the battle fronts are appearing along historical lines...

So, doc - do the rest of the words now!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

NZ primal Gwamma is online now Senior Member
    Hi CC - finally managed to get onto this damned internet tonight - not having huge success.
    Thank you so much for the primal feast, the wonderful hospitality and the hugs !!!!!!!! I just loved meeting you and your gorgeous family. They are delightful !!!!!! I so DID NOT want to leave ........anyway praps a we conference in NZ ?????????
    sssssssoooooooonnnnnnnnn
    Xxx
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Please let First know I posted some pics on my journal for her.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Please let First know I posted some pics on my journal for her.
    We're off to look...!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Hi CC - finally managed to get onto this damned internet tonight - not having huge success.
    Thank you so much for the primal feast, the wonderful hospitality and the hugs !!!!!!!! I just loved meeting you and your gorgeous family. They are delightful !!!!!! I so DID NOT want to leave ........anyway praps a we conference in NZ ?????????
    sssssssoooooooonnnnnnnnn
    Xxx
    You are entirely welcome. Make sure to have a blast in NYC, and we will so be in touch!

Dear Journal -

8 a.m. finds me on the porch, kind of bummed in a diffuse, general way. I haven't been writing because that is how my last two weeks have gone - nothing either horrible or glorious, but my general mood has been one of "meh". I think I know what the problem might be - not enough fresh air.

See, in the summer, as soon as the weather gets even a little humid and/or warm (but especially humid), hubby likes to make a mad dash for the central air and crank it. And that always seems to coincide with a mood slide for me. Weird, curious, whatever, but I have lived long enough in houses with central AC to really think this is a pattern. And then I just do not want to do much of anything - bare-bones cooking, cleaning, no gumption to do anything except stare at some blue light or something like that. Which is kinda scary, as I, years ago, had a HUGE spell of depression, and I just don't want to go there and these funks feel like a slide right into that. Diet coke has been my best friend.

This year is a cool and wet summer for us in this corner, so it isn't like the heat is driving me indoors. Yuck. And hubby does change out the air filters on a regular basis. The HVAC is geothermal.

So, here I sit on the porch, trying to absorb some good air ions.

In other news, First and Fourth are getting ready to go to YMCA horse camp in a week. It will be the first camp of any stripe ever for both of them. Last weekend the Family Crabbcakes went on a little road trip to find the entrance of the camp - it is hidden down a dirt road in a neighboring county, and Fourth wanted to be sure we knew the way beforehand. We had a chance meeting with the camp director's wife, who told us we could wander around on top of the hill for a spell - all other residents were together down by the lake, and she radioed to all and sundry that we were up there, and as soon as it looked like some folks were headed back up our way, we left.

Hubby got me a birthday present - a watch. My last one from him broke - that one had been a gift from him as well, on the occasion of our first anniversary, so it held out about 16 years (broke a while ago and I had been trying to find a jeweler to repair it but not succeeding). The last one was a granite-faced watch from Fossil. This one is a wooden-cased and wooden-strap watch. Yup, the watch actually has a link strap made entirely of wood. Hubby knows I am really, really hippie-granola in my jewelry tastes. I am probably the only gal in existence up would take a black raw diamond necklace over a highly polished white diamond one any day of the week.

My Ancient One is still doing well. Nineteen and 1/2 years old and counting! Not bad for a kitty cat!

And, that seems to be all. I am feeling a bit more settled after sitting here, listening to birdsong, breathing in fresh air from the woods, and watching one of my cats keep me company. I love cats. Oh - seems that hubby will be taking Fourth to a localish animal shelter on Wednesday mornings to play with the kittens and scoop poop. That was Fourth's request - to visit an animal shelter and actually volunteer there.

Well, Journal, thanks for the company!

Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast