Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 47

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Forager - 98F?! We are having a cool snap - to the point that Mr Gwamma had to get his sweater. In NJ, to save money on the utility bill, I know some folks who retreated to the coolness of their basements, even if they had a/c, the utility rates are that high out there.

Why doesn't your place have a/c? Older, or normally not hot enough (which is the case in Germany - school kids do not get snow days, they get "heat free")?

I would have loved to have you here for dinner with us; First and Second did a mini-concert at the piano, the conversation never ever lagged, and I just kept asking Hubby to get more liquor out of the bar... after a Mike's Harder, a glass of dessert wine, and a couple of shots of honey whiskey, I am feeling alright!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Joanie - two flies, coming right up!!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Make it three
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Ut oh, summer is upon us - there are flies everywhere.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Northern California is kind of funny when it comes to acknowledging the reality of weather, in SF it's always cold and none of the houses have insulation, in fact in plenty of the places I lived in the wind kind of blew in through the doors and windows. Where I live now, about 3 hrs north of SF in an inland valley (about 30 miles east of the coast as a crow files) hardly anyone has any kind of cooling system. I have one friend that has a swamp cooler. We bought a window AC a couple of years ago, it's somewhere in the garage. If the heat were to continue (it's supposed to be in the 80s tomorrow) we'd have to dig it out and decide which room to put it in as it's only big enough to cool one room.

So instead of AC I have all these strategies for dealing with the heat, first you should know it always cools off at night. In the evening as soon as it starts cooling off outside we open all the windows and put fans in the windows, by 9 am all the windows are closed and I have blinds on the outside of the windows so no direct sunlight hits them. I do most of my cooking outdoors, I have a propane grill and a parabolic solar cooker. The solar cooker works just like a stove top. We often cool in the off creek, as long as it's flowing, which won't last this year because we had very little rain. If all else fails we drive to the coast where it's always about 30 degrees colder. We all hate the drive as the road is very winding and it's hassle to bring the dogs. You see if the power grid shuts down we'll be a little more prepared to deal with the heat than the rest of the country.

Badger - I saw that yday over here, and bookmarked it for future reading. There are actually a TON of maps he made. So - in the spirit of showing off dialects, here are my personal pronunciations...

Caramel - care-ah-mell and car-mull both, depending on what I am looking at - a sauce or dipped apples (for example) get two different pronunciations

Been - bin
    Bowie - boh-ee
    Crayon - cray-ahn
    Lawyer - law-yer, where law rhymes with "saw"

Slaw - is always coleslaw as I have never had any other kind except the cabbage version. If I ever had the broccoli kind, THAT would get called slaw and not coleslaw
    Addressing a group of people - "you guys" with friends, "you" or "you all" with more formal situations, and "y'all" just for occasional effect with kids or friends and family

Mayonnaise - may-uh-naze
    Pajamas, second syllable - puh-jah-muzz
    Pecan - pee-kahn
    Generic term for sweetened carbonated beverage - soda pop when I was a kid in Texas, moved to Ohio and called it pop, moved to New Jersey and called it soda, still call it soda today even though I am back to living in the land of pop. Third calls it pop as she learned to talk here. Fourth calls it soda as she follows house convention, which is soda.

American mini-lobster critter - crawdad everywhere except in New Orleans because they say crawfish and I will use that term there to please them just so I get my crawfish étouffée, gumbo, and remoulade salad delivered to my table with minimal fuss

Number 13: Traffic circle, not a roundabout
    Syrup - sir-up
    The long sandwich - a sub. Although I recognize hoagie.
    The public cool water dispenser - water fountain
    Generic term for rubber soled, athletic or gym shoes - tennis shoes, pronounced tennih-shooz, and spoken quickly as if it were one word; but sometimes sneakers sneaks in from my time in New Jersey

Big road with fast speeds - highway
    When it rains while the sun is shining - no term for this
    What I mean when I talk about "the City" - referring to NYC specifically, it means NYC. Otherwise, it means whatever city is the topic of conversation, frequently Cleveland with me. And the locals here mean it to be any city at all, just opposite to living rurally

Drive-through liquor store - drive through
    Mary/merry/marry - all three are the same

Have fun!
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some differences:

Mayonnaise - may-uh-naze
    Pecan - pee-kahn
    In CA, Mah-naze.

In the south: peh KAHN

The long sandwich - a sub. Although I recognize hoagie.
    N'Orleans: po'boy

When it rains while the sun is shining
    Sun shower

Mary/merry/marry
    Mare-ee; MEH ree, mah ree.

Yep, we Americans talk funny.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Gwamma was funny - the name "Patty" comes out "petty" with her, which made me do the split-second mental whizzing thing until I got it. So I said "oh! Patty!" where Patty rhymes with catty. So Gwamma tried to duplicate my vowels, and it came out P-AAAAAAtty, with a huge vowel stress in the middle as she was feeling her way through it. Cute as hell!

Joanie, I have a few pronunciation quirks that the Garden Staters and Ohioans always pick up on:
    Radiator - rad-ee-a-tor (third syllable is a long a) where rad rhymes with cad
    Creek - crick in conversational speech, creek (rhymes with peek) in reading aloud
    Hoof, Roof - almost like woof with different first letters

For other nonsense:
    Route - root or rowt, depending
    Lightning bugs, not fireflies

Maddening to me:
    The locals call hamburger, both the raw ground beef and the cooked patty - "hamburg". Yuck.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All sweetened carbonated beverages = fizzy drinks. But a Scottish couple I knew called them 'juice', which explains a lot about healthy eating in Scotland.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast