Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 44

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    CC, I hope third continues to get better. Rashes suck.

Valium otoh is awesome. As are horses and topless gardening.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Crabbcakes! Your post with the horse reminded me of something I forgot to tell you. My middle sister has been working in a facility that puts convicts to work with therapy horses. (I don't know if they interact with the clients or not.) She has since been paroled to a larger facility doing similar work and seems to hope she can make it a career. One of those small world moments.
    The therapy center Third goes to has a 4-H club, a couple hundred special-needs kids and adults, a vaulting group, driving for those who cannot physically sit a horse, and a veterans riding program. In each case, the progress/improvement/joy is clear. It never ceases to amaze me what can be done with a good animal program. The closest thing I am aware of here in Ohio is a program at two lockups, one men's and one women's, that train and bring up puppies for their first year of life for the purpose of further training as assistance dogs.

If working with horses touches your sister's heart, I hope she can find a way to follow that dream. I would like Third to work with horses for the rest of her life, too. And yes - small world moments!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    CC, I hope third continues to get better. Rashes suck.

Valium otoh is awesome. As are horses and topless gardening.
    Thanks!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I read this, and DID enjoy it very much! Thanks!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!

Which brings me to this morning's thoughts... Last night it hit me what wonderful kids I have. Which made me think of relationships, particularly the mother-daughter kind. Which made me think of the big responsibility I have in guiding them into adulthood, and what all our relationships will look like in several years, as First and Second hit the age of majority.

You know, one of my main goals, if not the main goal, of my "leadership", if you will, has always been to have all of us still communicating, each with the other, well and often and voluntarily, when my chicks fly out into the wide, wide world. Beyond algebra, beyond puberty and sex Ed, beyond knowing how to wash dishes or fold laundry - I am in the business of family-building.

Perhaps this is a holdover from my own life story, where family people abuse each other or are self-centered or self-absorbed (my best friends always took up the slack, which is why they always will be my real family according to me), and/or this is a holdover from my 19 years with the Latter-day Saints, where they have formally institutionalized family-building into the best genealogy centers in the world and temple-building (marriages and parent-child relationships are solemnized for eternity there, along with prayer sessions and theology classes) and an extensive theology to support those activities. But the end result is that I have come to believe that pretty much the best thing you can do for someone in your care is to build a solid, happy, non-using, reciprocal relationship.

I also do not buy into this society's rules that say kids should separate from their parents at the earliest possible moment in their development - because, you know, parents are inherently dumb (so need to be replaced with college-degreed experts), so not-cool, old (which implies outdated and clueless) or some other ridiculous charge. Neither do I believe in being controlling, manipulative parents who have caused their kids to psychologically need to ask them permission/approval for every widdle thing. Mostly, I am into sheltering them (in all senses of this term) until THEY somehow communicate to me they are ready for a new, increased degree of freedom and exposure. Their timetable - not mine, not society's.

Anyhoo - since I seem to have a penchant for making outside-the-box decisions (homeschooling being a biggie, followed by turning off the tv, conscious diet choices, etc), the girls nor I have any problem with deciding not to go along with one of current society's end-of-school-year rituals - the prom. Perhaps a year ago now, the idea came up that an extended European trip would be a great kick-off into adulthood. Not just one really expensive night to look forward to, as in a prom experience, but a whole 5/6 weeks of tooling around Europe, seeing the family and then taking the trains off to parts unknown to us (even if we would do it on a budget). Which brings me to my thoughts... that my daughters would actually think enough of me and our relationships to even consider such a trip - with their mom.

Perhaps you are thinking that I somehow guilted them into saying that, or threatened, or bribed them somehow, or perhaps that I am delusional or just plain-vanilla lying - but truthfully, I would not do that to my kids EVER; that is how my family of origin operates, and there is no fucking way I am going to pass that along.

As of two weeks ago, the trip plans morphed. Instead of Europe, the girls want to do the USA - they see no reason to discover another country before they have ventured through the one of their birth. And - the trip is now approximately 3 months long. And they still want me as part of their group.

Perhaps they will head off on their own for this trip in three-and-a-bit years, when Second turns 18. I don't know. But for today, I am content that perhaps, just perhaps, I am doing this mother-daughter thing right.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 05-12-2013 at 05:12 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Happy Mother's Day, CC! Great post.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

So - I still stand by Valium as the best go-with for dental appointments, especially crown work. I just got back from another session. Last time I took 10mg on an empty stomach and it knocked my tookus completely out for the rest of the day. This time I took it on top of a big, fatty, protein breakfast and the effect was just really calming, not outright sedative.

My Mother's Day gift from hubby - Mark's cookbooks. They will arrive this week. Now I can allow the library to keep their copies...

Spent some time speed reading about tents (with words like ultralight, cuben fiber, SilNylon, hammock camping, shelter, tarp, Bushcraft, mid tents...). Also had another anatomy lesson - Third's neurologist sent his notes from our last appointment and I saw something new - "perisylvian syndrome" (not diagnosed yet, it was just in his notes). Long explanation short, perisylvian syndrome means that there are more and tighter swirls of gray matter than should be along the sylvian fissure, which is the Nike swoosh-looking fissure in both hemispheres of everybody's brain if you looked at the brain from the ear sides. Anybody with these more and tighter swirls in their gray matter will have faulty brain function, the types and kinds depending on where in the brain these occur.

It would actually make me feel good if Third got this diagnosis, because it happens very early on in fetal development. That would mean I didn't do it to her through faulty care after she was born, because Lord knows I behaved myself completely before and during each pregnancy. And I have been wondering it all along, as the docs are having a hard time "diagnosing" the totality of what is going on with her. Down syndrome, for instance, I generally consider an act of God, and in the absence of maternal ill health or health habits, brain deformities the same. Next stop - medical genetics. We are already known there, but since Third's seizure is a new symptom, and it has been several years since our last appointment, it is time to go or at least call and see.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I sincerely hope you do not spend your days blaming yourself but could totally see these thoughts creeping up when they are the least welcome. You are a great Mom and stuff just happens sometimes. It would be nice though to know so you can plan for future stuff, but even then, few people can predict what may happen next. Trust yourself. No one knows her better or loves her more!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    wow Cc - way to go on the big American trip. I also believe in seeing our own country first - which we have to varying degrees......................... anyhoo I look forward to meeting you very soon..................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

HUGE BEAR HUGS, GWAMMA!! And I am truly excited to meet you three, too! Woo HOO!

Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast