Page 41 of 82 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 41

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    What ever group is the one listed as No class.... I'm in!
    Heya doc! Dude, you could never be mistaken for a no-class guy - you innately have it, which is why a coterie of ladies here on the MDA have a Stammtisch at your journal!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    damn you, Amazon A Book of Silence: Amazon.co.uk: Sara Maitland: Books
    After a noisy upbringing as one of six children, and adulthood as a vocal feminist and mother, Sara Maitland began to crave silence. Over the past five years, she has spent periods of silence in the Sinai desert, the Australian bush, and the Isle of Skye. She interweaves these experiences with the history of silence through fairy-tale and myth, Western and Eastern religious traditions, the Enlightenment and psychoanalysis, up to the ambivalence towards silence in contemporary society. Maitland has built a hermitage on an isolated Scottish moor, and the book culminates powerfully with her experiences of silence in this new home.
    I am still waiting for the Forest book from our library... This one sounds awesome as well!

I once read a book about a mother's experience in a silent Catholic desert retreat center in the US southwest. Her book about the experience is short, but every page seems to count. It made me want to try something like that. "The Green Desert: A Silent Retreat" by Rita Winter.

You know how everybody has a low-brow guilty reading pleasure (at least of those folks who still read books)?? Well, mine came in the mail yesterday - the newest of author Stephanie Laurens's Regency romances! I own all 20-odd of her books, the only bodice-ripper author I actually purchase, and damn near the only one I read. Woohoo!
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 04-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Heya doc! Dude, you could never be mistaken for a no-class guy - you innately have it, which is why a coterie of ladies here on the MDA have a Stammtisch at your journal!
    Stammtisch? WTF?

Stammtisch? WTF?
    Stammtisch - German word. Both a small, select group of friends who meet at regular intervals and also the physical table at which this group meets, usually for drinks and comraderie. On the appropriate evening, the owner of the establishment that hosts the small, select group will place a card on the table that simply reads "STAMMTISCH" and the members make for their regular table.

Sorry - I got email from home and I got my vocab mixed up. A lot of my people across the pond and I do the "Denglish" thing - a Deutsch-English mash up. Like Spanglish.

Stammtisch - German word. Both a small, select group of friends who meet at regular intervals and also the physical table at which this group meets, usually for drinks and comraderie. On the appropriate evening, the owner of the establishment that hosts the small, select group will place a card on the table that simply reads "STAMMTISCH" and the members make for their regular table.

Sorry - I got email from home and I got my vocab mixed up. A lot of my people across the pond and I do the "Denglish" thing - a Deutsch-English mash up. Like Spanglish.
    I figured it was something like that... I've been called meshugenah by a lady I once tried to date.... it's a Yiddish word that basically means "crazy"... not sure I spelled that correctly.

I figured it was something like that... I've been called meshugenah by a lady I once tried to date.... it's a Yiddish word that basically means "crazy"... not sure I spelled that correctly.
    I know meshugge - I used to live in New Jersey, and that has to be the most Jewish place (the NYC - NJ area) outside of Israel itself. You, meshugge? Whaddya' do to get called that?

I know meshugge - I used to live in New Jersey, and that has to be the most Jewish place (the NYC - NJ area) outside of Israel itself. You, meshugge? Whaddya' do to get called that?
    Like the song says... Act Naturally....

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Can I have a Stammtisch at the meshugge table? I think that would suit me down to the ground!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Can I have a Stammtisch at the meshugge table? I think that would suit me down to the ground!
    Oh, hell yes!

Tonight I got my knickers in a twist... We all sat down to a huge dinner (as in food served, not in number of butts in chairs), and nobody could carry a conversation that wasn't a barb, dig, insult, complaint, nag or attitude. I got sick of that pretty quickly. I can't figure it out - expressly as a group of six at the supper table, we never seem to have a good-willed family dinner. It isn't out of control, because I simply won't allow that to happen, but I would SO appreciate some pleasant, intelligent, witty repartee along with my beef and salad.

There was a looooong stretch of years where I never got to eat until after dinner as either First and Second and Fourth were very young and needed help, or Third needed direct feeding and restraining and monitoring. Hubby did help, but with four young 'uns we were outnumbered for a while. That period is behind us, and now I long for a happy dinnertime. Alone and/or away from the table, we all are capable of conversation. Sigh.

Anyway, a Stammtisch at the local Kneipe (pub) sounds superb right about now.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Ohhh. I know this. After breastfeeding and eating, and then watching small boy throw his food on the floor... We now are at this stage:
    Me: small boy, please eat over your plate
    Husband: small boy, please use your knife and fork
    Me: don't bang your teeth!
    Me: so, how was your day, husband, small boy?
    Husband: I sold a book - small boy! EAT OVER YOUR PLATE. Remember to eat your vegetables. How was your day, badger?
    Me: Meh. Work. Small boy - small bites!

I feel sorry for him, really. I long for the evenings when we used to have real conversations.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Page 41 of 82 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast