Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Playing with kidlets in the pool sounds like fantastic WOMing to me. Playful activity is great. Once you get in the groove of it and start to really enjoy moving your body regularly, then adding in more traditional movements like bodyweight strength stuff won't feel so daunting since you'll have adapted and learned how good your body feels when it's active.

Housework--all that bending and stretching and lifting and stuff, yeah, that counts too. Less fun than the pool with the kids, though.

Anyhow, enjoying your journal so far and your posts elsewhere on the boards. Glad you're here!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Take a spray bottle of water to the park to mist yourself with. It will definitely keep you cooler!

Ooooh!! Squirtguns!! The kidlets will love it!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Take a spray bottle of water to the park to mist yourself with. It will definitely keep you cooler!
    Oh I love doing that on hot days! It really helps (but only if there's a breeze).

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Is your cat Rudi a siamese, by any chance? I had a cat named Rudy growing up who was a siamese and lived to about 19. He was my dad's special little prince. He spoiled that cat!
    My Rudi is a red/orange tabby male with white belly and paws, and he is soooo a Mama's boy. He will ditch anybody and anything for me, 'ceptin raw beef. We call him Rudi, but his full name is Evinrude, after the outboard motor - when he was a kitten, you would have thought an Evinrude tearing through your bedroom, the purr was that loud. We got him from the NJ Humane Society in Newark NJ.

I like Siamese cats, but not the new incarnation of the breed - I would love to have a couple of the old-style ones! I used to babysit a couple of Siamese in Frankfurt - the boy was named Rambo, and did he ever live up to his name!!! Big-boned, big attitude, big mouth, big everything... I adored all the chatter and talk, and when I didn't get his routine just right, he would climb all the bookshelves and look for knick-knacks to toss onto the floor. Siiigh.

We have six cats currently. In order from oldest to youngest: Rudi (Evinrude), Oliver, Tolly (Bartholomew), Merlin, George, and Henry. We used to have Tabasco, Jasper, and Angus, as well, but these three all died within 6 months of each other back in 2010 due to old age. We were just devastated - Tabasco, Rudi, Jasper, and Angus were the four that formed the "old guard"; they were with us already when First came home from the hospital as a newborn. You will probably hear about them - they were family, pure and simple. We buried them in custom-carpentered boxes built by hubby, here on the property. Soon we will get a St. Francis statue and put it out there in the family pet cemetery.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 07-19-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post

Ooooh!! Squirtguns!! The kidlets will love it!
    Good idea!! We recently got a batch of squirt guns made by the Nerf company - BEST SQUIRT GUNS EVER! Ours are the model XP-215. Thanks! I'm off to stick a couple in my bag for tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Anyhow, enjoying your journal so far and your posts elsewhere on the boards. Glad you're here!
    Thanks! This is my first forum foray anywhere on the Internet, and I was very nervous. Nervousness proved unfounded - yous guys are the nicest people! I really like your avatar - the daughters and I like rocks. No kidding - we like rocks. Heaven for most of us is a really big rock garden with lots of boulders from sitting-size on up with a stream running through it. Ahhh.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I like Siamese cats, but not the new incarnation of the breed - I would love to have a couple of the old-style ones! I used to babysit a couple of Siamese in Frankfurt - the boy was named Rambo, and did he ever live up to his name!!! Big-boned, big attitude, big mouth, big everything... I adored all the chatter and talk, and when I didn't get his routine just right, he would climb all the bookshelves and look for knick-knacks to toss onto the floor. Siiigh.
    I'm with you on that. Rudy (originally Rudolph) was a big loud stocky guy. I don't like the new siamese standard either. They look like the unnatural mutants they are. Though, honestly, if I found an elongated new-siamese tortie, I would totally bring her home and name her Nefertiti. I love torties. I have two, Octavia and Genevieve. I can't afford any more cats right now, but when I can, they will probably be torties.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Thanks! This is my first forum foray anywhere on the Internet, and I was very nervous. Nervousness proved unfounded - yous guys are the nicest people! I really like your avatar - the daughters and I like rocks. No kidding - we like rocks. Heaven for most of us is a really big rock garden with lots of boulders from sitting-size on up with a stream running through it. Ahhh.
    Glad you like it! I took that photo on my birthday a few years ago when I was hiking in the Rockies with one of my best friends. Someone had built that inukshuk-like stack and left it for someone else to discover (not unusual to find in Jasper), and I think the rocks on top look like an owl. You can't see it very well in my avatar, but the Athabasca River is in the background in the right side of the frame.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hey There, Journal!

I think I know a secret ritual for getting the weather to turn cloudy and cooler: bring squirt guns. Really! After the great suggestion from honeybuns to bring them to the park to ward off terminal sweatiness, the weather turned cloudy and much cooler for almost three days, and rained on us for nearly that long. I didn't need them. Huh! I secretly think that if I hadn't brought them - it would have been unbearable... another incarnation of Murphy's Law... so it is all good.

Fourth's playdate went very well - she and her friend (they only met last month at art camp) played together, totally calm and without incident, for 6 hours straight. Friend's mom and I talked for 6 hours straight. Yup - 6 hours. FM (friend's mom) is an older mother who waited for 10 years of her marriage before having her two, so she spent the time going to college and travelling the US and working and reading - and was very interesting to talk to. Since our girls were playing together peacefully, we just let them have at it until FM had an early evening appointment she had to keep.

So - to tie this into WOMing: there we all are at the park. We spent the first 45 minutes or so ambling around, watching our two play on the climbing equipment while we were chatting like champions. After a while our little ladies decided they wanted to change the scenery and play at Friend's house, so we packed it up and drove to a gated community (with lake) very close by where Fourth and Friend finished the day riding bikes and watching a movie and snacking and just generally playing with no help from the moms at all. So the most strenuous exercise I got was in the lip, cheek, and jaw area...

I did have an interesting experience with the fabled 80/20 thing - Fourth and I had prepared and packed a picnic lunch with enough to share: baked beans, carrot sticks, cookie brownies, juice, organic fruit leather, and ham/cheddar/lettuce sandwiches on whole wheat buns - a menu kid-approved by Fourth herself. For some reason I wasn't really hungry, so I just sat back and let everybody eat. Somewhere around hour 4, as the kids were attacking more of the picnic lunch, FM is getting hostess-nervousness because I hadn't had any of the lunch yet. She was always very sweet, but I had that quick thing of "OMG - how am I going to get out of this non-Primal mess?!"... and I ate one of the sandwiches.

I figure it this way - how can I bring a picnic lunch, purchased and prepared and planned by me, and then say I don't like my own food?? FM and I are also very new in the acquaintance thing, so I wasn't ready to bring up Primal yet. The day was for making new friends, not talking diets. Thus I cashed in some of the 20%.

FM and Friend have a reciprocal invitation, so when they come over, I will just prepare a hot Primal lunch, as I will need to do anyway to feed my two diet kids - and this being our house and all.

I found a fantastic book at the library: written by Karen LeBillon, titled "French Kids Eat Everything". This memoir was so much of a stunner that I read it in two days and plan to buy a copy to put in my personal reference section for child-raising. It is the story of a French (the husband) - American (the wife) family (two daughters between them) who move to the husband's childhood village in France for one year - and the food and eating havoc that ensues when the locals, the village public school, the hubby's parents, and the extended relations get wind of how picky the little girls are. And how their mom is the consummate enabler on that front... The book is warm and honest and not at all superior in tone, but if merely half of what she writes is true about food education in France, we should prostrate ourselves at the feet of the French, repent of our bad food ways, and go about doing right by the next generation here in the US! (Just FYI - this is not a book about haute cuisine or the superiority of French recipes, or anything like that - it is about how French parents train their children to be mindful, adventurous eaters with an advanced palate and a love of good, fresh, food, eaten with style and good manners and good company.)

So, Journal-of-mine, thus ends another two days in the Life of Crabbcakes and my search for good WOMing (among other things). I will need to get creative next week, as it is shaping up to be a busy week, full of driving. Ugh. But hey, some weeks are like that. Until the next...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hola, Journal!

Sorry there hasn't been much news from me. There really hasn't been much happening outside of a lot of driving... Fourth has her regular therapy schedule, and added to that were a couple of runs into the city for surprise doctor visits and rescheduled therapy and such (First thought she cracked a tooth... kinda' needs attention, you know?). And here I am five days later.

I did get a library hold in: hold onto your hats, because this is INCONCEIVABLE... "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren...

(whoosh, whoosh, whoosh - me fanning the few regular readers of this journal as they lie on the floor in a swoon - whoosh)

I have seen references to this all over the MDA, and thought I might check it out. It seems very humane and doable. The guy has easy-peasy starting points for the weaklings among us (namely, me), but the most interesting thing is that the starting points for the different training positions (heh, heh - I avoided that E-word!) are the exact same ones Third is assigned in her PT sessions! At least that brings some in-my-reality cred to his book. And - finally - a dude who isn't asking you to buy $1000 in equipment just to get started (which is good, because hubby is, shall we say, ummm, "a fan of frugality").

So, journal, that is it. First, Second, and I will get a little LHT today as we muscle a bookshelf up the stairs, beef-heart-burgers are on the menu, and I will try to lead a more exciting life for your reading pleasure soon...
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 07-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast