Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 33

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I have to say I concur with second, I think she could learn just about everything through her area of interest. Okay I'm a little biased, since I'm a former chef. Recently I started listening to "Consider the Fork: A History of How We Eat and Cook" it's a great history book that might capture her interest. When you think about it, just about all subjects can easily be covered under cooking: math is obvious, to make the math more challenging she could imagine she is cooking for 150 guests, for history she can research a particular period and design a menu accordingly, for writing there are plenty of options like writing a restaurant review.

DS's area of interest at the moment is a bit challenging for me; he's almost exclusively into gaming, weight lifting and target practice. I have almost nothing to add to that list! He and I are working on Vedic Math together but I can't say he is passionate about that. He's also into learning computer coding, something else I know nothing about. I was able to direct him to The Uncollege site which has a lot about coding. UnCollege - Hacking Your Education

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Wow this home schooling stuff sounds really interesting.
    What ages are the troups CC?
    and did I send you my email?
    I have a heap of 'down under' ideas that would love to skype, email or post
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Wow this home schooling stuff sounds really interesting.
    What ages are the troups CC?
    and did I send you my email?
    I have a heap of 'down under' ideas that would love to skype, email or post
    First is 16, Second is 14, Third is 12, and Fourth will be 10 soon. Homeschooling IS interesting! The first thing I would tell you about it, though, is that no two families do it exactly the same, because each family's impetus for pulling their kid(s) out of public school (or not enrolling them in the first place, like I did with the three who stay home), goals for their kid(s), and beliefs about what "education" is or isn't, will be different. Add to that the natural variation in learning style, personality, and realities of each youngster's home life, and no two homeschools will be the same. And I see that as a positive - wonderful flexibility. And boy, do you grow as a parent and person when you take something like this on!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Has First come across Angela Carter's collections of fairytales? Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales: Angela Carter: 9781844081738: Amazon.com: Books
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I bet it has been an amazing experience.
    Gwamma has her thinking cap on - however she is first doing a wee bit of experimentation of her own!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I have to say I concur with second, I think she could learn just about everything through her area of interest. Okay I'm a little biased, since I'm a former chef. Recently I started listening to "Consider the Fork: A History of How We Eat and Cook" it's a great history book that might capture her interest. When you think about it, just about all subjects can easily be covered under cooking: math is obvious, to make the math more challenging she could imagine she is cooking for 150 guests, for history she can research a particular period and design a menu accordingly, for writing there are plenty of options like writing a restaurant review.

DS's area of interest at the moment is a bit challenging for me; he's almost exclusively into gaming, weight lifting and target practice. I have almost nothing to add to that list! He and I are working on Vedic Math together but I can't say he is passionate about that. He's also into learning computer coding, something else I know nothing about. I was able to direct him to The Uncollege site which has a lot about coding. UnCollege - Hacking Your Education
    This interconnectedness of all knowledge is what drew me to research Unschooling in the first place, and the more I deal with it, the more it internalizes.

I just read Second the sentence where you concur with her interest area... Her response - "Woo Hooo! Yeah!!" First just put a hold on the "Consider the Fork" book at the library, thanks!

Hmmm... What kind of target practice is Son into? And what gaming does Son do?

We have a couple of books in our schoolroom devoted to anatomy for weightlifters - "Strength Training Anatomy" by Frederic Delavier. And amazoning around, I found this: "The Perfectible Body: The Western Ideal of Male Physical Development" by Kenneth Dutton - the description sounds really interesting - how to reconcile Western Civilization's belief in the physical being as fallen/imperfect with the historical/artistic record of depicting (super)human perfection as a conspicuously masculine physique. And "Venus with Biceps" by David Chapman - you gotta look at that description! I just may get that title!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Has First come across Angela Carter's collections of fairytales? Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales: Angela Carter: 9781844081738: Amazon.com: Books
    Nope - but since you have given us the title, First is exploring as I type... Thanks!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Nope - but since you have given us the title, First is exploring as I type... Thanks!
    Women who run with Wolves is a classic too. I like to look at fairy tales and see how the archetypes are used in women's writing (my MA dissertation [thesis in Yank speak] was on the poet HD and her relationship with/use of the imagery of mythology to exert a poetic voice/identity). There's plenty to dig into there, I should think
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    DS likes shooting his 22 rifle with DH. I don't go with them but I hear his aim is getting very good. Lately DS has been playing Team Fortress 2, it's a co-op game he plays on line. In April for DS's birthday I have agreed to take him to a gaming event about 3 hrs form here. From what I understand players bring their computers and play together, there are tournaments and prizes. As a parent I'm curious to meet the people he plays on line with. I guess I'll just bring some knitting or felting to keep myself busy.

So far DS hasn't been interested in anatomy, but I think I want to check out that book Venus with Biceps!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, Gwamma, if you read this, I am not ignoring you - Third and I are just having one helluva day. She had a seizure this morning - her first ever, and was transported by ambulance to our local medical center, and from there then transported to the Cleveland Clinic where we were admitted. We both are tired and she is holding up well, despite having an IV port inside her elbow. EEG and EKG tomorrow.

Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast