Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 32

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Okay, just sent you a novel!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    After all the earthquakes in and around the canterbury region, we have had alot of people leave Christchurch
    I just went back and googled that - I heard about it at the time, but when you don't know anybody on the spot, it kind of gets lost in the rest of the bad news the world has to offer. But, geez, Gwamma, that was a LOT of earthquake, counting 2010 and aftershocks and all!! I didn't realize NZ sits on so many faults. Ohio is in that regard extremely stable. Did any of your friends leave, and what was the straw that broke the camel's back for them? Because you stayed on.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    NZ is such a small place that everyone knows someone, or of someone who died in the February quake. They were genuinely in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it has bought it home to us all that shit does happen !!!!!! and its important to enjoy your life day by day. So as the earthquake tally got up into the thousands people got disheartened. Being woken at night from a deep sleep and suddenly overdosed with adrenaline is really hard on the body after a while. So I suppose people have left for a number of reasons - schools closed due to damage, businesses going bust, nerves, depression etc....
    I suppose our life on this planet is short, why spend it living in fear ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

it is possibly a bit like 9/11. Alot of American people knew someone that dies that day, or was directly involved in some way.
    Actually it was such a sad time 9/11. We all remember where we were and what we were doing. AS much as I cried and felt sick for you all, it didn't become personal until I found out later that my Brother and his wife had been up one of the towers the day before. The day of they were flying out and witnessed quite a raucous by a suspected Muslem family. (another long story)

...small steps....

We were living just across the bay from the WTC, on the Jersey side, on 9/11. My husband's church lost its organist - she was in the towers. The church members got into contact with her apartment manager to unlock her door after a couple of days - she had a kitty cat that needed a new home at that point, and the church members knew that. I used to work in one of the short buildings, 5 WTC, and quit to have my babies and be with them, otherwise I would have been there, too. So yeah, I get you - remember and learn from the past, plan for the future, but live today.

And for your loyalty to your city, you now get to enjoy beefcake, Tongan-style!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Your private messages are full. Here is an addendum.

Okay, winter temps could go as high as 50's with lows in the 40's. It has been at least 15 years since we've had a week long that doesn't get above freezing but it has happened before. Quite often in February we'll get a stretch in the mid 60's. Gives everyone spring fever.

Also, you can go from the Pacific ocean to the ski slopes in less than three hours. Pretty cool, huh?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I so hope that the weeny teeny crabs are feeling better on the morrow.
    What topics are you working on - re schooling - at the moment ????
    You just never know - Gwamma knows alot of Sh-t about nuffink - and the crablets might be interested !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I so hope that the weeny teeny crabs are feeling better on the morrow.
    What topics are you working on - re schooling - at the moment ????
    You just never know - Gwamma knows alot of Sh-t about nuffink - and the crablets might be interested !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Thanks! Both of my sickos are sleeping at the moment, but that happened just a few minutes ago. Thank goodness - it is only almost 2:45 in the morning here!

Lemme' see... First is all about stories, especially folklore, myths, mythology, classics, and cool children's books. She will probably be a librarian, especially a children's librarian. Currently she is looking for myths and mythology and fables from further afield than what is commonly read here, so if you can recommend good books on Maori/kiwi folk tales and stuff like that, First would be truly grateful. She is also doing well in a Fine Arts+history and culture of Europe class that she takes weekly at her piano school - teacher is accredited, so it counts as a high school credit without any "but you homeschooled it" hassles.

Fourth is learning some geography by looking up all the places on her horse game app for the iPad - each breed of horse she encounters, she looks up where the breed originated. Huge geography lessons in conjunction with watching Ewan McGregor's "Long Way Down" and "Long Way Round" world motorcycle tours (DVD). If you haven't seen them, they are a really fun watch!! We just did the Great Backyard Bird Count at a local nature center over the weekend. Google it - cool ornithology stuff! And she is still all about the dinosaurs - she just got a dino app for iPad that requires the user to build Jurassic Park, and she goes around saying stuff like "Mom! My gallimimus grew!" At this point, she has pretty much exhausted the dinosaur book selections at three libraries.

Second is playing her heart out on the piano. She likes darker stuff - Chopin's Funeral March, the music from a lot of Tim Burton movies - especially The Corpse Bride. And cooking - single-minded, she is. She wants to be a special-diets chef, so she sees no point in learning anything else... Sigh. I get in her way and make her do other things, too, but we butt heads on that. She recently told me that if I could somehow tie all of her learning into cooking, then that would be okay. So I told her this - fine, you will do geography (for example) by learning the location of the countries of production of each spice and herb in my cupboard. And before you think this is easy - I have one helluva spice rack!!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Your private messages are full. Here is an addendum.

Okay, winter temps could go as high as 50's with lows in the 40's. It has been at least 15 years since we've had a week long that doesn't get above freezing but it has happened before. Quite often in February we'll get a stretch in the mid 60's. Gives everyone spring fever.

Also, you can go from the Pacific ocean to the ski slopes in less than three hours. Pretty cool, huh?
    Oops - just made some room!

I have already begun my county list...

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chefs need good French, Italian and possibly a host of other languages - polyglot as well as polygeuomai. Yes, I googled 'geuomai' - my Greek is not up to chef standards. Could do a lot of social history through food, too - who ate what when and why...the fall and rise of the oyster as a social signifier. The gentrification of gumbo. The potato famine...

One of my medical editors does historical articles with an O&G bent - did Empress Josephine have chlamydia? - and such like. It's amazing how you can find other subjects within an area of interest if you look. (Sure you know all about this - your lessons sound fab.)
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast