Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 26

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    DH and DS (still on steroids) are doing well.

I wouldn't count the German chocolate, I've never had chocolate filled with Verpoorten, but I'm guessing I would love it, Chocolate + liqueur? Count me in! My mom was Belgian and when ever she went home for a visit she would come back with chocolate. I have fond associations with European chocolates.

I bought the GAPS Diet book and we may be starting it around the 27th. I'm a bit daunted by it even though I've been eating primally for over 2 1/2 yrs. DH and DS say they are willing. I think it will be a big change for DS as he's been eating wheat and sweets, also since he is still on steroids he has an enormous appetite, it may be too difficult for him with all those steroids coursing through his system.

DS inspired me to work on my push-ups; he's doing 5 sets of 10, he spreads them out through out the day. I'm trying to get up to 4 sets of 10 by the end of the year, I'm at 7 push-ups, if I increase by one push-up a week I will get there.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm. We had a sprinkling of snow this morning!
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 12-15-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Forager!

Yeah... Belgian choc is yummy! I went to Brussels and environs once and loved the chocolate, too. Confusing country in some ways though - I could never get the Flemish/French language thing. Do you go over to see the family and/or speak the language?

Going to GAPS from Primal is a whole sight better than SCD from gluten-free/dairy-free, which is what Third did, but if your DS is currently eating wheats and sweets, that will be a bigger leap. I highly recommend cooking ahead a lot, just so there is always something in the fridge waiting for consumption, and perhaps getting DS into the kitchen, if he isn't there already.

Third is an eating machine even without steroids. I have instructed her school to feed her nothing but cold water as Third is on the SCD, so I have to provide all eats every day. I fill a minimum of 4 (four) 2-cup containers of foodstuffs for her to take to school (breakfast, lunch, and a light snack before she comes home on the bus) and she eats it all - every day. Then comes home and eats another 4 cups or so of food for dinner. The school-food pattern is this: 3 eggs for breakfast (frequently with some adjunct like bacon, spinach, fried scallions, etc), 2 cups meat, 2 cups potatoes with tallow or lard, 2 cups hot vegetable, 2 cups salad or cold veg, a small thermos of hot soup, and 1 cup fruit slices or unsweetened applesauce for snack. A treat for her is a fruit leather for a bit of fresh apple cider from the local orchard.

I am thinking of 7 years ago when Third started strict SCD (NO cheats ever) and we kept it up completely consequently for over a year... Pain.In.The.Ass. but it absolutely worked. We all ate her diet as well just so she wouldn't be the "diet kid" at the dinner table, looking longingly at the gluten-free baked stuff she could no longer have. After one year, Hubby practically begged me to add something back in, and I chose potatoes. Today Third can eat peeled potatoes with no ill effects, but cannot stretch her diet any farther than that. We were already non-toxic to a large extent, so that is covered, and I have experimented with all those supps that the GAPS recommends and they do work for Third, just FYI.

As a note: one of the the things that has made the biggest impact for Third in 2012 is getting the seed oils out of her diet a la Primal. That automatically lowered the o-6 fatty acids, which improved her o-6/o-3 ratio, and now we are seeing huge language and coordination improvements (I got the seed oils out of the house about June of this year). I read the SCD book from cover to cover, and nowhere is there talk of fatty acids like Mark Sisson does. Perhaps GAPS does cover this.

Good show on the push-ups! I have zero ambition right now in regard to stuff like that, but I can easily be your cheering section! So... Gooooooooo Forager!!

Weather out here is warmish for this time of year - at least if feels like that to me. Rain, no snow. Coldest we got was frost a couple of days ago.

Fourth made Mark Sisson's Primal Ketchup recipe all by herself today, and Second then took that and made Grandma's BBQ from two whole pork butts. Yummy recipe, if you haven't tried it yet!

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi Crabbcakes and everyone else,
    Merry christmas to you all.
    I have bought all my presents and they are wrapped under the tree. Baked 70 cranberry and brandy mince pies yesterday. Going to take some into work for our last meeting of the year. . Been listening to loads of Christmas songs. Sounds like you enjoyed Germany. Nice to go on holiday but nice to get home.
    Hope everything ok. I will start getting back into it in the New Year.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't put this in the same post as my previous one.
    the news here has been full of the terrible murders in Connecticut. I can't even begin to imagine how those poor parents and community must be feeling now. Those poor little innocent children. You can't imagine what would possess anyone to do something so evil.
    My heart goes out to them.

Hi Crabbcakes,

I've been having computer troubles, my laptop keeps shutting down, makes me nervous when I write, it feels like at any moment I will be stopped, any way...

I haven't spent that much time with my Belgian relatives. When I was 22 I traveled around Europe for a year and a half and stayed with them a few times. They are in the French part and most just speak French. I used to be able to make myself understood in French but it's been so long now I doubt that I could carry on even a simple conversation.

I'm impressed with how organised you are getting all that food prepared daily. It's amazing how something like seed oils will effect things like language and coordination. It really makes you wonder how much of who we are is effected by what we eat. That's why I'm curious about GAPS, I want to see what health issues will change for us.

I've decided to wait on starting DS on GAPS, after reading some of the book it sounds like the steroids are very damaging to the gut so I think it makes sense to wait until he's completely off of them. DH and I will do the intro later this month because DH is off from work, just in case he has an unpleasant reaction, it might be better to be at home.

I'm up to 8 push ups now! Yesterday I only did 2 sets because my back was feeling weird.

It's been really cold here for us, 25 this morning. I'm just about all set for our holiday, we celebrate the Solstice on Friday so that means I have a few less days to prepare. I may need to get a little more cream and butter, we always seem to need more!

Grandma's BBQ sounds delicious, wish I had some right now!

So - we are at Christmas Eve day, and I have a huge food project going. In its most outrageous form, I want to (eventually) cook a "Dinner" (with a capital D) for each Sunday of Advent, plus Yule, and then Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and follow that up with a riff on the Twelve Days of Christmas (with a Dinner) until Epiphany.

As all things are cancelled here because of Christmas and Third's school break (no therapy, no sports, no outside lessons, no doctors, no nuthin'! for a whole week), I have the at-home time to spoil my people with food. Since Second wants to be a chef, First likes to bake, Fourth needs the kitchen lessons, but ALL love to EEEEEEEAT, they all help. Makes for memories, better cooking, and the food hits the table faster. It is good all around.

After a few years of hoping, I still haven't managed to get all the Sundays of Advent, but this year, I managed to catch Yule and the fourth Sunday. Here is the breakdown so far:

Yule: black forest ham, crab-stuffed mushrooms, mushroom soup, roasted brussel sprouts, salad of iceberg and English cukes (Fourth likes iceberg - yuck, but we were trying to specifically please her) with homemade vinaigrette, roasted/salted baby potatoes, and my mom brought homemade raisin bars (a surprise)

Fourth Advent: Boeuf Bourguignon (the real deal, whole bottle of wine and all), frisee/red Boston/romaine salad, mashed potatoes, fresh hot bread (First baked) for those who could eat it, gluten-free and wheat versions of brownies, and a pumpkin custard for Third (made from fresh pumpkin that First baked)

Christmas Eve: whole pan-fried mackerel, blue hubbard squash soup, green beans, roasted beets with lemon, baked red potatoes, and a lemon granita

Christmas Day: roasted duck, spinach dip with melba toast or carrot sticks, wild mushroom soup, buttered peas, scalloped potatoes (using coconut milk), gluten-free chestnut stuffing, eggnog (I always wanted to make a real one), and a pear tart
    ----

the Boeuf Bourguignon was awesome! The black forest ham was okay, but I actually had had my heart set on a venison or something suitably wild but couldn't source it in time, so I will have to be better prepared next year.

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas! All the meals sound delicious, especially The Christmas Eve menu!

If my life at Crabbcakes Manor were a reality show, here would be the first five episodes...

First Episode is titled "Do Not Leave Whole Fish Outside And Unattended When You Live In The Woods"
    Family mother, thinking that using the natural cold of an early-winter day to keep freshly thawed fish outside to chill until it is time to cook Christmas Eve dinner is a Good Thing, suffers the natural consequences of such an action by having two of the six beautiful, whole mackerel simply disappear. An intense search, by flashlight, of the porch, deck, and surrounding sidewalks and lawns yields no clues whatsoever. Her family is still fed fish, just not as much as had been hoped for, to the disappointment of all.

Second Episode is titled "Read The Labels, Dummy"
    Oldest daughter, distracted by heaven knows what, gets cornish hen out of the freezer instead of duck for Christmas Day dinner, as her mother had requested. The mother, stupidly thinking that a teenager can read labels and/or tell the difference between a teeny-tiny Cornish hen and a much-larger duck, doesn't double-check. The family doesn't suffer much, as the daughter does remove 6 hens and the family therefore is well-fed for dinner, but the mother is still slightly miffed.

Third Episode is titled "Spell-Check Exists For A Reason"
    Family mother, thinking she proofreads well enough, discovers that her online forum journal title has a spelling error that is just noticed as said journal enters its sixth month of existence. Mother suffers vague feelings of stupidity. On the other hand, the spelling error in question is in regard to a location name, the inhabitants of which are definitely not known for academic brilliance, so the family mother flips-flops between feelings of educational inadequacy and bouts of giggles.

Fourth Episode is titled "Does It Hurt If You Shoot Me In The Butt With My New Nerf Gun?"
    All of the family's children receive Nerf guns for Christmas from the family father, and all guns can be loaded with multiple darts. The family mother has to put up with foam darts sticking out from all smooth surfaces in the house before the children decide to shoot each other in the butt, copying Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame). Just to feel the pain - if any. The mother secretly decides that having her children shoot each other with soft plastic is infinitely preferable to them shooting each other with pennies out of an air cannon, as Adam had challenged Jamie to do.

Fifth Episode is titled "Is The Ketchup Still Good If I Poured My Half-Eaten Peas Back Into The Buying Club-Size Container?"
    The third daughter decides to be frugal and save her half-eaten peas by pouring them into a gazillion-ounce jug of Heinz ketchup while nobody was looking. Obviously, at least to the daughter, it was a brilliant idea as the peas were themselves covered in ketchup during the family dinner. The family mother has a spat with the family father over the usability-slash-hygiene of the ketchup remaining in the jug. The family mother disposes of the gazillion ounces of ketchup, whereupon the now angry family father makes an outing into town to procure more ketchup before the KT's set in (ketchup tremors - from a sudden withdrawal of the condiment).
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 12-26-2012 at 10:43 PM.

DUCK is now thawing for tomorrow's dinner...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happy New Year, everybody! May you all have a very Primal year full of love, good food, fitness, fun, and reached goals!

Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast