Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 23

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Day 21

Went to church today without breakfast or lunch, coffee hour was only cookies and more cookies. We went to a "De-Stress Event" at our favorite local nature center, which I needed because I was surly by the time we got there. Hubby came to the rescue with cole slaw bought from a local grocery store deli - and no, it wasn't Whole30 by a long shot, but I ate it anyway and felt a modicum of sanity return. I think it really is high time for me to take off by myself for while... I haven't done that for 19 years: every since Hubby and I got married. Today being Sunday, no exercise, but the nature center did have wonderful arts and crafts and two licensed massage therapists giving free short massages (10 minutes) in proper chairs and all. Never had a therapeutic massage before, and those ladies really are making me think of getting one. Or many.

Day 22

Therapy day. Did well on the food. Did not so well on the exercise. Back to not wanting to do anything like it.

Day 23

Can't even remember.

Day 24

Long therapy day. Did well on the food. Left early and got home late, as always on Wednesdays and went to bed because next day is long day in Cleveland. Exercise consisted of lots of ankle-foot movement at the gas and brake pedals.

Day 25

Long day in Cleveland. Up at 5 a.m., out of the house with Third and First before dawn. Four appointments with Third, but all were good and helpful and informative, like always up there. Went to the produce market and library on the way home, got home really late and went to bed. Food was good - I ate on diet at the cafeteria (they cook from scratch) at the hospital. Exercise consisted of laying down flat on the basketball court in the outdoor courtyard in the gentle sunshine and loving every minute of it (while Third ran around the playground in the same enclosed courtyard like an idjit and got her wiggles out and First sat beside my prone form reading a book) until it was time for our next appointment.

Day 26

Lots of travel today. Food is good so far. Got forgotten by our piano teacher for an extra tutoring session First and she had set up, so I went all the way to Closest City for nothing. Getting sick and tired of the running on my non-therapy days. Pumpkin Splash tonight at the Y: you pay 3 dollars per pumpkin and in return the staff float all the pumpkins in the large pool and you swim and play amongst the floating cucurbits. Along the way you pick your favorite one and give it to the pool staff, who then write your name on it. Swim ends after an hour, whereupon you dry off and head to all the community rooms for a pumpkin carving (the pumpkin you chose while swimming), cookie decorating, dance, and craft hour. I won't be swimming - chlorine makes me burn like fire, especially at the concentrations they use in a public pool. Maybe I will walk around the track instead.

I am waking up at 6.00 a.m. on my own, no alarm clock, and have been for weeks. Nice side-effect of Primal (not the Whole30 as I was doing it before I started this misbegotten month). Waiting not so patiently for cheese. Leaning out some more on the Whole30. Made a makeup appointment for two weeks from now - haven't used makeup much in 7 years, and want to have some extra glow or whatever, even if it comes from a powder compact or tube, for my trip. And got told today by Third's classroom teacher that the boys in the next room up have been checking out my daughter's chest and talking - she is starting to develop, and isn't even big enough to be jiggly yet (just puffed out a bit) and is wearing training bras, but only part-time. Teacher handled it well (seriously sweet lady) with me and suggested that it might be time for an extra little tshirt or something if Third isn't into wearing a training bra everyday. Damn boys - we should all live on Wonder Woman's island and only haul the guys out of wherever they are held as slaves for procreation, and only that at our convenience.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Crikey, don't know where you get the energy.
    I am shattered just doing a 8 hr day in work with a 30 minute commute.
    Didn't know pumpkins floated. Sounds fun.
    We only ever used to do duck apple when we were young, and we used to think it was crazy all the dressing up and big deal Americans made out of Halloween - trick and treat etc.
    Now in UK we have pretty much followed suit.
    I'm not a great one for Halloween, get fed up of countless kids knocking on the door for sweets.

My favourite time by far is Christmas, love all the build up and love buying presents.
    Being off with the kids, watching films.

The joys of growing up for Third, aah bless.
    I would quite like to live on the Wonder Woman island, or at least go there for a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    We only ever used to do duck apple when we were young, and we used to think it was crazy all the dressing up and big deal Americans made out of Halloween - trick and treat etc.
    Now in UK we have pretty much followed suit.
    I'm not a great one for Halloween, get fed up of countless kids knocking on the door for sweets.
    I LOVE Halloween. Well, most parts of it. I don't like it when folks get gross about it, like getting into truly gory costumes, or making sickening Halloween treats for their parties like slapping brownies (do you know what they are?) into newly-purchased children's potty training pots to simulate poop and then adding cherry sauce just to guarantee you puke for real.

I am currently reading a book called "The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween" by Jean Markale. He is a professor at the Sorbonne, and has written extensively about medieval culture and the druids/Celts. I actually brought a book of his back from Germany, translated from the original French into German, about the Druids. He lays out all the research done into what the Celts actually used Samhain for historically, the original sources of this knowledge, and the limits of what is currently known (versus guessed) - really nice reading for this time of year.

Around here there is this tension between those who get a kick out of Halloween, and those Christians who think that Halloween is verily a diabolic/demonic celebration. It is actively taught in a lot of churches here that there are such things as witches (along with Satan and his minions), and any representation of a witch (pointy hat and all) is not to be tolerated (like witch decorations and the like). Betcha' that not a one has really delved into the ancient celebration at all (my favorite complaint about that specific type of lemon-sucking Christian... no real knowledge of what they are condemning and why - because just LEARNING about it would be Satanic influence... just a lot of censure and denouncement and hot air, no real substance).

We are going to the MIL's house next week - she lives in a real big city in Ohio - where the trick-or-treating is much better than around here. Here we always have it from 15.30 to 17.00. Too damn short of a time, and all in the nice and safe daylight just to guarantee that nobody has any fun getting the heeby-jeebies in the dark. Hrumph. We will have to see, though, as Hurricane Sandy is making its way straight for us and is expected to head waaaay north this time around - enough so that Hubby may have to cancel a business trip as his flight takes him from Ohio to New Jersey, right into the teeth of the projected bad weather. If NJ gets enough of a hurricane hit, Ohio will have several days of heavy storms and rain. I hope it all waits until Thursday to land, just so we can have a good time at the MIL on Halloween night...

First and Third will both be cowgirls, Second is a raven, Fourth will dress as a vampire, and I will be an undead waitress (I used to work part-time at a catering company and I still have the formal black outfit). Hubby just waits to see what I will be and then does the lowest-energy-possible compliment to that; example - last year I was a tree so hubby went as a lumberjack (just dressed in jeans and a plaid shirt and got the hatchet from the garage and followed me and the kids around...). So I guess that perhaps he will be the unwitting diner to my undead waitress.

Fourth loves her Halloween costume - I got her a real dress from a bargain shop: black velvet top, deep burgundy skirt with black tulle overlay, gold beading at the waistline; black cape; black short wig (Fourth is golden blond); glow-in-the-dark makeup and vampire teeth; fake blood; fake vampire claws (you stick your fingers into them); black lipstick and eyeshadow; and a black knitted bolero jacket with velvet ruffling at the wrists & black lined sweatpants just so she doesn't get cold (Halloween here is usually a really chilly evening).

Second has this thing going where she chooses stuff that requires her to wear head-to-toe black: the past two years she has been Morticia Addams and a witch, this year is a raven, next year will be Zorro. See, she loves the color black most of all, but because Second is as light-complexioned as a Swedish girl (with the hair and eyes to match) and she would almost look goth if I allowed it, which I don't, Halloween is the only time of the year where she can totally live out her love of unrelieved black. This weekend Second and I will be sewing black feather boas onto her costume to simulate wings. Second loves puttering around with needle and thread and fabric, so she will probably do most of the work.

I am especially looking forward to Halloween because then this infernal Whole30 will be over...

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    That was fun reading about your Halloween.
    Why are some Christians (and non Christians) so judgemental, my motto is as long as they are not harming anyone who are we to judge. Same in this country, some of the most narrow minded, critical people I have met were real church goers. Think I have told you before how my Irish grandparents went to church every day, had pictures of the Pope and Jesus all around the house. Went on pilgrimages etc.
    Yet although I loved my gran she was very unforgiving. I didn't know until I was an adult that my mum and dad had to get married as they say. My gran tried to make my mum put me up for adoption as she didn't want the shame. Christian indeed. The irony was we didn't know until after she died that she had been pregnant before getting married. My mum had died by then, but my aunt is still very bitter over it as my gran had turned my aunt against my mum. I think part of it is guilt. When we have family parties now and all have had a drink my aunt gets maudlin and apologises to me. But as I tell her life is too short to worry over all these things now, I suppose most families have family skeletons. I must be feeling in a confiding mood as I don't normally talk about it.

None of my kids want to dress up, even the 9 year old, though he did go to a party dressed up the other day.
    Hope the Hurricane has not affected you too much, looks dreadful on the TV. Just saw cars floating away and buildings destroyed.
    All the advancements we have but the weather still wreaks havoc.

Wondering what has happened to Bess, I hope she is ok. Don't like that we can all be friends and then someone just disappears.

Are you dreaming about cheese, you have fine very well doing your whole 30. Especially with the really busy schedule you have.
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-31-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Ooookay - Whole30 is over, and here are my ruminations on the experience...

First, frustrating, but worth it. I am tighter by one hole on my belt, and that makes it now 3 belt holes in where I am stable. I do think that all the indiscriminate dairy and chocolate was stalling my shrinkage, even though I don't have a single health improvement by quitting the dairy, ie I tolerate dairy very well.

Lots of stuff that really wasn't allowed crept in. For example: this family went to a buffet one Sunday during the Whole30. I chose only plain meats and single cooked veggies with no sauce or cheese, and salad, but then I did eat their salad dressing (dairy-free choice) when I really shouldn't have because it was a factory dressing and guaranteed had corn syrup/preservative crap in it - but I hate plain salad. One Thursday Third and I were at the Clinic, in a could-eat-a-horse hungry state so we went to the cafeteria, and again the salad dressing thing... That kind of dilemma kept coming up, and usually I caved. Lesson learned: bring my own dressings everywhere when I leave home during a Whole30 month.

I could have done the YAYOGing more. When I look into the mirror (nearly nekkid...) now, I can see where some good old-fashioned hard physical movement (I'm back to not mentioning the "e-word") will be good for me. It was fun doing it with the kids - we laughed a lot. So I have fun memories of the YAYOGing.

I stopped the Whole30 on Oct 31st, which is Halloween here. I just kind of said "screw it" and broke the diet one day early instead of waiting for Nov 1st. I ate several tiny-size chocolate pieces (the kind you give to trick-or-treaters) and several Lindt chocolates, as someone very generous in my MIL's neighborhood was giving them out to the kids as Halloween candy!

Butter, though, surprisingly, isn't as tasty now - even the pastured stuff. I think it is the salt - I will try getting some unsalted good stuff and see.

Perhaps in 2013 I will do one again, if I think things have gotten out of hand/need a boost. It really does bring you all the way back to basics - with a thump.

Finishing up my Whole30 accounting...

Day 26 - second half

got horrible heartburn at the Pumpkin Splash. I cheated with ONE potato chip with a bit of dip on it at the Pumpkin Splash, and got horrible, horrible heartburn that took a monster acid-killer cocktail to kill once we got home. I think it was coincidental, but that has really put me off potato chips! Exercise was ocular - reading more Jean Markale and The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween.

Day 27

Went shopping all day in preparation for my Germany trip. Scored lots of new undies and bras and a pair of walking shoes. Hubby bought Vibrams (??!!!!!) and Keene's sandals (house favorite), Second got Vibrams, Fourth got Vibrams and hikers and "church shoes" (what the Family Crabbcakes calls a more formal shoe, usually a black leather mary-jane style... I hate it when my kids wear hikers to church...). Third got a terrific case of jealousy - no new shoes for her (as she wears ankle braces and has specially-ordered shoes to fit her braces) - and pitched a fit. Hubby and I didn't cave on anything - that is just Life, Third - everything doesn't always revolve around you, much as you would love it to...

Still suffering soreness from the killer heartburn, still taking Prilosec. Ow.

Went to a buffet for dinner and cheated the Whole30 by eating a factory salad dressing (non-dairy, though) on my greens. Otherwise I chose plain meats and single cooked veggies and otherwise drank water and was an angel. Exercise consisted of walking around the shoe store trying on pairs of shoes. And walking back and forth from the buffets to our table.

Day 28

Church, so no exercise. Halloween game party after church - fun event, but somehow a few mini marshmallows found their way into my maw after I was so good by eating a mixed roasted root veggie plate and nothing else. It feels like I should just chuck this Whole30 a couple of days early... I can SO smell the finish line...

Day 29

Back to the grind - Monday and therapy day again. Good all day as I am back in friendly territory (eating based out of home). Our Hunter's Moon Labrynth Walk at the nature center was cancelled due to unknown weather coming our way from Hurricane Sandy. That was going to be my exercise. Harrumph.

Day 30

Good all day - IF'd most of it as I was busy getting ready for Halloween. Lots of foot-and-ankle exercise at the gas and brake pedals again...

Day 31

Halloween. Travelled to Columbus, where the in-laws live, for a better Halloween Beggar's Night for the kids. Had a blast! Officially broke the Whole30 today with mini-chocolates from the candy bowls. We all went to a cafeteria for dinner so the MIL wouldn't have to stress about feeding 6 of us to satiation (the in-laws worry so much about Second and Third's diets, too). I was saintly except for a few sips of Second's diet soda. I got my exercise - walked around the neighborhoods for almost 2 hours in the freezing rain and wind!!! Hah!

End of the October Whole30.

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Yet although I loved my gran she was very unforgiving. I didn't know until I was an adult that my mum and dad had to get married as they say. My gran tried to make my mum put me up for adoption as she didn't want the shame. Christian indeed.
    My mom "had to get married", too. She lost the baby (before I was born), but my Oma made her get married in her living room... wearing BLACK. When I first saw those pics, I thought my folks had just returned from a funeral, until my mom explained things. Then my youngest aunt got pregnant (engaged to be married to her guy already though) and my Oma tried the same thing. This time around, my aunt's soon-to-be MIL got into the fray and just shut my Oma down COLD... end result - my aunt had a church wedding and a reception party and wore a gorgeous white long wedding dress and had a blast, HUGE pregnancy bump and all. And they are happily married to this day. And had three more kids! YAY FOR THE MIL!!

Unfortunately, Erika (the wondrous MIL) died of cancer a few years back, and the Oma is still kicking. Her latest - she said my aunt should consider herself lucky that such a handsome man as my uncle (he IS cute) would stay with her and stay faithful, even though my aunt has her "disability"... which would be severe cleft palate. That was fixed by surgery many decades ago, even though you can still see what the problem WAS (as surgery back then wasn't as sophisticated as it is now). I can't believe I am actually going to go visit the old bat in a couple of weeks, now that I think on these things.

My mom told me that SHE was the one to feed my cleft-palate aunt for ages (this aunt is my mom's younger sister) as a baby as my Oma couldn't look at her without getting upset. I don't even want to hear what the Oma will say about Third...

None of my kids want to dress up, even the 9 year old, though he did go to a party dressed up the other day.
    I'm the worst instigator of Halloween in the house. I will never be too old for Halloween nonsense! All of mine haven't outgrown anything either. We still do Easter egg hunts, too.

Hope the Hurricane has not affected you too much, looks dreadful on the TV. Just saw cars floating away and buildings destroyed.
    We here in Ohio are fine, just a little flooding up on Lake Erie. Jersey is a mess. Hubby works in/out of New Jersey, and his company just got electrical power back yesterday. Hubby has been working like a Trojan to get up to date, but then everybody understands - hurricanes being kind of acts of God and all and not a company's fault at all. Our cell service was spotty, too - we have Jersey area codes through Hubby's cell phone plan through his work.

Wondering what has happened to Bess, I hope she is ok. Don't like that we can all be friends and then someone just disappears.
    Me, too. So... HEY BESS!! ARE YOU STILL THERE?? WE MISS YOU OVER HERE!! DROP US A QUICK ONE-LINER, OKAY?!?!

Are you dreaming about cheese
    Oh, yesssssssss....

canio6 Guest
    Hey CC, I hope all is well with you. Yeah, Oma, um...yeah. Though if she says jack about Third let us know and we'll round up a posse.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Hey CC, I hope all is well with you. Yeah, Oma, um...yeah. Though if she says jack about Third let us know and we'll round up a posse.
    CANIO!!!!!!!

Dude, I have SO missed you!!

Re Third - seriously, thanks so very much! My Oma is a never-ending font of forked-tongued-ness - you would have thought she would have run out of ammo/spleen/piss/whatever ages ago, but she is still at it. I will remember my poker face and YOU if she lets fly about Third.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    My Oma is a never-ending font of forked-tongued-ness -
    They cut the heads off snakes for a reason...just sayin'

(really though, I like snakes. Your Oma not so much. Best of luck not pimp slapping her )

Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast