Page 22 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 22

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Crabbcakes I will have to look up that pork Carolina-style BBQ recipe as it sounds delicious.
    Going to go for a walk now and then have my tongue and salad lunch, though would rather be having your BBQ pork.
    Hope you are getting into your YAYOG again. It is difficult to start a new exercise routine, but if you are anything like me you feel good and virtuous when it is done.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Day 13

Well, I did just that - I went to that old-timey fair and walked around the valley and hills for three hours in the outside sunshine. My LHT for the day was to lug around pumpkins - we bought some to carve. Food was good - I had to IF untill I got home because there wasn't anything there that I could eat: apple dumplings, bean soup with cornbread, meat and bean chili, hot dog nonsense, fudge... the fair does a good job of actually cooking fresh (for example, the bean soups and chilis are made in huge kettles from fresh ingredients over open fires, and the apple dumplings are also made with local apples - old-timey fair, you know), but it still isn't enough on a Whole30 month...

No YAYOGing.

Day 14

After church (which takes up over half of the day for us), we went back to the old-timey fair and got in another two hours of walking around the hills and valley in the sunshine. After the fair, Second convinced me to sprint down our driveway (gravel drive through our woods about 600 feet long) - she did it with me (she wanted to see if she could run faster than her Mama... and she can). I sprinted in my favorite sandals (Keene) and gave myself sore heels for about a day afterward. It wasn't as horrible as I thought. Food was good, I had to IF most of the day, but coffee hour at church had beautiful grapes and really nice italian salami slices (usually almost all of it is baked goods).

No YAYOGing.

Day 15

One of our therapy days in the next city - nothing much gets done. I didn't walk on the track at the Y because it was swim class observation day and I did that instead (watched my own kids in the pool). Usually they don't allow parents in the pool area during class - too distracting for most kids (there is an observation room with huge windows onto the pool area, though, so it is okay - you can always see your tyke). Fourth moved up a level! Yeah Fourth!! Still no YAYOGing. Food was good - fasted most of the day just because all my Primal leftovers were eaten up by the kids, but the I made Mark's cabbage and kielbasa from his PB cookbook - yummy recipe.

We will see how today goes (this is Day 16) - I have another kid at an annual appointment back at the Cleveland Clinic, so I will be gone all day today. Hope all of you have good days today! Gotta' run....

You are being very good IFing and resisting old time fair food temptation. That would have tested my resolve.
    I think you have done plenty of exercise without the YAYOG by the sounds of it. I always feel shattered walking around for hours.
    Hope your clinic appointment went ok.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I'm intrigued by YAYOG...can you give us your verdict, Crabcakes? (Bear in mind I am the least gym-type person out there, I'm more YAYOS - you are your own sofa).
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    You are being very good IFing and resisting old time fair food temptation. That would have tested my resolve.
    I think you have done plenty of exercise without the YAYOG by the sounds of it. I always feel shattered walking around for hours.
    Hope your clinic appointment went ok.
    Thanks!! I thought I was being good, too. The walking was actually very nice. That is the exercise I like to get, but then again, it wasn't exercise for the sake of exercise, it was tooting around a fair, which I always looooove.

The clinic appointment went well. First was diagnosed with moderate asthma last year, and we have spent the last year just getting used to the daily inhaler (for her, twice daily) and mostly arguing with her about why she really does have asthma. She tries to excuse away an asthma attack by saying that she "pushed herself too hard in the pool" (she is a swimmer) or some other crapola. But - she has been awfully good about being regular with her doses and the asthma is now fully under control, so now even she can feel the difference. It helps that she has one awesome doc who shoots it straight with her and can cut through teenage nonsense talk.

Next week we have a huuuuuge clinic day with Third: radiology (for the ankles); then pediatric orthopedics (Third wears full ankle braces because her ankles won't support her well); then developmental pediatrics (these docs look at the global state of health and the total lifestyle/family situation of disabled kids - a good one is worth his/her weight in gold, as they have prescribing rights to any drug or test or hospital department or therapist or procedure at all and the two Third has had KNOW their shit); then on to pediatric nutrition (Third is on a really restricted diet - time for another "diet study" - that is where you measure every morsel than goes down a kid's throat and log all of it for 3 to 7 days - every Cheerio and green pea). THEN... we get to drive home 3 hours.

But hey - I can kill four departments in one day, instead of having to drive up four separate times! And the hospital has two really, really nice cafeterias that cook fresh food, and another sandwich cafe that does the same. We have been there so many times that the cafeteria ladies in one of the cafeterias know my daughter by sight and name. I can't decide if that is sad or sweet, though. Naw - sweet... the cafeteria ladies actually care enough to remember (probably the trouble Third has in staying calm and focused during the lunch hour rush through there ). There are a couple of new coffee and tea spots, too. And some nice, big, beautiful lawns to run around on if the weather isn't wet. And if Third faints or gets sick or hurt... WE ALRE ALREADY THERE, ha ha!! All in all, I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I'm intrigued by YAYOG...can you give us your verdict, Crabcakes? (Bear in mind I am the least gym-type person out there, I'm more YAYOS - you are your own sofa).
    My verdict is that Mark Lauren knows his stuff, his book describes the exercises well (even if I think the layout could really, really improve), and the exercises themselves are effective. Lauren's tone in the book is spot-on IMHO - never unreasonable or condescending, just really encouraging and always informative/explanatory about why he says what he says.

The range of exercises goes from really mild to lay-your-ass-OUT, but in understandable and incremental steps. He even explains how to create new original movements on your own to make something harder, or how to mix it up to stave off boredom. There are more ways to create rep/set plans than I have ever heard of in there as well.

I am still using a borrowed library book, but I will buy this shortly. There is some freaky-hard stuff in there that my Second has set her sights on accomplishing...

I actually will continue with the YAYOGing well into the future, even if I am doing an excellent imitation of a wuss at the moment. The exercise duration is short, no equipment other than the odd towel or phone book or backpack or such (and not even often at that). And no gym fees (Hubby's favorite). And no lost time traveling back and forth (my favorite).

I actually feel good after doing my YAYOGing, even though I haven't said that on this journal yet. I guess that is the best testimonial.

Crabbcakes, you are very inspirational the way you cope with all the hospital visits, the drive alone would be enough for me.i like the way you look for the positives.
    Glad you are enjoying YAYOG. I think if you can get into exercise it is enjoyable. I am in a good routine and force myself to go when tired as I know I will enjoy it and reenergised.

Day 16

Walked around the clinic a lot. They have a skyway so long that the people at the other end look tiny - did that one back and forth twice just getting around, so decent walking I think. Food was good - we brought ours along and did not falter, even though First and I walked around one of the clinic's big cafeterias where they have Subway, McDonald's and Taco Bell in front before you get through and to the freshly cooked (to order) sections. I get extra points from y'all for that one. Drove home, dealt with evening family stuff 'cause Hubby was still in the office, and crashed on the couch.

Day 17

Our long therapy day. To give you an idea, I leave at 10:45 a.m. with four kids and a huge pile of stuff in tow, and don't drive down the drive until 10:00 p.m. - literally. I was in such a foul mood all day, I mean a seriously foul mood, that nothing got done except the fact that I didn't eat off-diet. I don't know what my problem was. Sometimes Quelsen talks about crap that gets released from your body when you go Primal for long enough, like emotional blockages and toxins and stuff, and I can't think of anything except that. Or sunspots. When I used to work for a day care, sometimes the kids would turn into gremlins. As in, all of the kids would arrive that way to the day care on an otherwise typical, easy day. So the teachers would just shrug and say - "Sunspots. That must be it." Hrumph.

Day 18

Food was good. Everything else was crappy.... I got to break down on the road tonight - lost the brakes in one of our cars. Luckily I was in town and within striking distance of one of our usual mechanics, so I managed to get the car into the parking lot, and then walked to Wendy's with First to wait on our rescue by the Hubster. First and I bought NOTHING at Wendy's... I get more Primal brownie points for that one!

Day 19

Food was good. Watched the kids make rice crispy treat ghosts, then took Second to a Pagan Ball - the first I/we have ever attended. We had SUCH a good time (family-friendly event). I could have sinned with all the party food, but I had to be content with raw carrot sticks and broccoli and cauliflower and water. A speaker (did her workshop on edible wild foods) brought along a tea made from edible greens in her yard (aka lawn weeds) and it was actually very pleasant - lightly minty and mild. Second and I danced our asses off to the all-girl drummer band hired out of Cleveland for the event - we danced so long and so hard that we had to stop - our leg muscles ran out of gas! AND we did it barefoot! I completely consider that exercise. Got home at 2.30 a.m....

Day 20

Slept half of the day because of my long night out (so did everybody else except Hubby and First who took off early to go to a Republican rally and see Paul Ryan), and it felt good. Then made several pork roasts and finished rendering my first-ever batch of tallow from suet I got from the same meat processor I get my finished lard from. Started Shark Week, so I was a druggie yesterday with Tylenol and Motrin (cramps). Watched Fourth candy-dip those rice-crispy ghosts and didn't eat any, or nibble, either (a Halloween craft/snack we had planned). Hubby, however, ate all of my black candy melts as a snack just because they were on the table (set up along with the other candy-melt stuff so he can't claim ignorance that a food project was in the works - the man has not nearly the food willpower I do), so now I can't make black eyes/smiles on my ghosts. BOO! Second is getting on me to YAYOG again, but I told her that since we danced sooooo hard... but she isn't buying it (damn - raised that girl too well, I did).

In general, still missing cheese, cheese, cheese. Now my kids blame any bad moods on my current chronic lack of moo juice, and can't wait for this Whole30 to be over so I can get some. Me, too, kiddos - me, too.

Your dancing sounds fun. Did you do YAYOG on day 20? My kids force me to do things I don't want to. I sometimes wonder who is in charge, they can be so manipulative.
    Difficult when you have a craving. My high fat diet is helping me not really have cravings at the moment. Though I know how quick things can change.

Page 22 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast