Page 19 of 82 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 19

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi all, hope all are well.
    Had a crappy week diet wise. Have eaten loads of chocolate, not even dark!!!! Don't know why I do it. I can be primal for weeks and then blow it. The only good thing is I have been to Zumba on thusday and Circuits today.
    Got visitors from Norway next week in work so looking forward to meeting them and hopefully showing them a few of the local attractions. Won't be popular with my husband next week as will be going out in the evening with them Monday and Tuesday as well as Thursday with my friends.
    Very unlike me as don't normally go out more than once ot twice a month.
    Quite a sunny day here today, though the last few days there has been flooding in some parts of the country as more than a months rain fell in a day. There have been even worse floods in Spain looking at the TV.
    Hurt my neck doing shoulder press from my yoga DVD the other day. Haven't been sleeping very well as my neck hurts everytime I turn.
    Oh well, off to get ready to watch Everton. Despite being a really poor club compared to others we will go 2nd if we win today.

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hi Anne,

a quick greeting to you as I see that you are online. So sorry you had a bad week and hurt your neck, too.

I hope you have fun with your visitors. Are they friends or family? Enjoy your evenings out! Your husband gets grumpy when you go out too much? Why doesn't he go with you, at least on the evenings with your visitors? Not on your girl's night, of course. My daughter also had a girl's night with some old roommates yesterday, and she told me they had lots of fun and came home at six in the morning ...

Not writing here much because I'm in the throes of a deadline.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Ladies (and any visiting Gents)!

Anne - ugh, that kind of week, eh? Milk chocolate, sports injury, flooding again. The nights out sound positively perfect, though... I don't get enough of those for my taste. Hubby shouldn't grouse about the visits - he can get ahead in his book pile or something. If people care enough to spend their time and money visiting you all, by all means, go out - geez Louise, it is only two nights.

The Family Crabbcakes went to our local nature center and walked the labrynth again today. They have these scheduled walks (although you can walk it anytime, though) where they have a topic and then related crafts that are assembled at various points along the walk. And then a snack and sometimes another craft available afterwards. Today's topic was the solar system. Snack was watermelon, water, starlight mints, and Starburst candies. You have to register for the crafting labrynth walks because they need to know how much craft stuff to provide (it is free for the attendees). Beauuuuu-tiful day today!!

Third is feeling much better after her shaky start to the week - whew.

Getting hungry - two chickens and two packets of radishes are roasting in the oven, and you can smell it throughout the house...

Dear Journal,

I think I have finally gone insane. You wouldn't believe what I just did... I just signed up for the Whole30 for October. Knifegill started the thread. I have six weeks to go before I board the plane to Germany, and I was actually wondering what I could do to top off the months of Primal before I leave when I saw his thread.

And so I decided that this Whole/Primal30 would be sufficiently murderous. Ugh. Just as a warning to you, fair journal, that I will probably complain a lot for the next month, so if you don't wish to keep up with the negativity, I understand. If I am particularly miffed, I might just complain in two places - on the thread and here, to you.

Off I go to make a sheet that I will tape to my kitchen cabinet door to remind me of all the particulars for the month. Blargh. Second and Third will probably love it, though - that makes my diet exactly like theirs (dairy-free). Okay, Mark - I guess it is time to see what the fitness and lifestyle half of the Primal does for me. Blargh.

I can already see myself eating a lot of very rare steak as a stress relief. What am I going to do without my chocolate??!

So - journal-mine, I guess I will write again tomorrow and let you know what I got accomplished...

Dear Journal,

I interrupt your regularly scheduled forum reading for some breaking news...

I have my sheets done. I made a printout of the 10 Primal Laws and pencilled some notes for myself in the spaces between and there is a little breakdown chart of LHT/Move at a Slow Pace/Sprint; the Whole30 shopping guide got its own printout; as did the MovNat Movement Skills leaves, just because I like it so much (my far-off goal in fitness...). Now I am going to go get a Mike's Harder Lemonade to wash down my bone broth/chicken meat/spaghetti squash soup with, just to have a last fling before I turn the computer off to get some good blue-light-less sleep.

Just because I know you all need something soporific, here is my little chart:
    1. walk, get sun, YAYOG Push exercises
    2. walk, get sun, YAYOG Pull exercises
    3. walk, get sun, YAYOG Legs/glutes exercises
    4. walk, get sun, YAYOG Core exercises
    5. walk, get sun, PB sprints
    6. outdoors playtime
    7. Sunday off.

I'll choose any one of the numbers 1 through 6 as I please daily, Monday through Saturday, and mark it off as soon as it is done for the day, and the next day I choose another number. Repeat until all I have left is number 7, which should be next Sunday. If I get bored of walking, then I'll take my bike for a spin or trek through my woods instead. If I get to the point where I am mixing up the Push-Pull-Core-Legs/Glutes exercises because I need more intensity, I'll let you know. Same for anything extra (yeah, right) I might do. I actually own two very nice jump ropes...

I'll track for myself on paper (here at home) which specific bodyweight exercises I did, and how many reps/sets. I absolutely can't see anybody being interested in those specifics outside of myself.

Also - eat a serving of each every week: seaweed, liver, cod liver oil, sardines, sauerkraut, bone broth. Shouldn't be hard - I like all of them. Supplements aren't planned outside of perhaps some probiotic powder that I already have on hand.

Sleep will be the killer. I have horrific bedtime habits. Aaaaaannndd - missing the dark chocolate and herb goat chevre already.

I will be at the Clinic each week this month (three hour drive to Cleveland on top of her normal therapies)... Third has all of her annual checkups this month. I would normally spread out the travel pain from October through December, but I'll be gone in November and December is Christmas month - I don't wanna' do doctor stuff when I would rather be celebrating with the kids all month! I think I will plan on eating at the Mustard Seed - a huge health food store with a full-service restaurant in its mezzanine; they cook clean food (sourced exclusively from their own stock downstairs) and I can special order anything to fit any diet, and then I can stroll through the groceries on my way out.

So, dear Journal, that is the plan. Definite enough to provide a framework, loose enough to give me a little flexibility and choice. Here's to tomorrow... Prost!

Bess58 is offline Member
    Wish you luck for your "whole 30"! Complain all you want, we are going to cheer you on. Have a nice week!

Quote Originally Posted by Bess58 View Post
    Wish you luck for your "whole 30"! Complain all you want, we are going to cheer you on. Have a nice week!
    Thanks!!!!!

Day One

Got some sun, just a weenie little bit because Monday is therapy day and we leave early and come home late. Walking didn't get done - I was at the Y, just forgot to take advantage of their track - will remember to do that next Monday. YAYOG... got done! Here is what I did...

the Number One: wall push-ups, crab walk, bear walk, and arm rotations.

Food was perfect, but a pain in the ass... today my health food store had a half-price sale on wheels of brie, for heaven's sake! I passed it by... looked at my favorite Larabars, the ones with the chocolate chips... the chocolate chips are made with sugar, so I passed them by as well... Sigh. I think this is going to be a long month.

I was right - Second is gloriously happy that I am going 100% dairy-free for a month. She said she will be ueber-watchful so I don't screw up anywhere in the non-dairy department. Le Sigh - this is what I get for training my diet kid too well...

Now, off to bed for a good night sleep, when what I really want to do is watch some documentaries on dvd.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hey Crabbcakes, I'm finally visiting your journal! You've been so supportive I really appreciate it.
    Are you doing Whole 30 solo? DH and I did it in January, I thought about doing it in October but I'm still not home yet and it might be too much to take on when I get home. At any rate DH is ready to eat better and DS wants to make some changes too. The hardest part for me doing the Whole 30 was the little things, prior to doing it I put a little sugar and milk in my tea I also missed having a glass of wine occasionally with dinner. DH was very brave he gave up sugar; he is a sugar addict. To get him through the month he bought a case of organic apples. Now he almost never eats fruit and very rarely eats sugar so the Whole 30 was very helpful.

Have fun with your visitors. When I was 22 I spent a Summer in a very small town well above the arctic circle in Norway working in a fish factory.

Glad to hear third is doing better.

Hey Forager!

Welcome to my place!

Yeah, I am doing Whole30 solo. Mr. Crabbcakes is doing Primal with me, but fully exercising his 20%... he is losing gut inches steadily, and just dropped a pant size. (Yeah, Hubby!) The Hubby doesn't know what Whole30 is - I just told him that I would be doing a 30-day Primal "boot camp thing" and getting strict with myself before the flight.

My Second told me today that she wants to go fat-adapted. She isn't too far off - being a dairy-allergic celiac, she hasn't had dairy or gluten for a long time, but the carb count is too high yet - she still likes her Junior Mints and York Peppermint Patties, loves potatoes and beans and rice and g/f noodles, and she bakes decently often for herself (she wants to be a special-diets chef when she grows up, so she likes to practice...). She gets stomach aches if she doesn't eat often, and we both are starting to think that going Primal will benefit her in this regard.

You are right - the little things are the worst. Like not eating my chocolate chip Larabars. Growwwwllllll.

Norway? If you swing by this way again, do tell how you ended up playing with dead fish in a place with one season - frozen! I would love to hear!
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 10-01-2012 at 08:43 PM.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi all,
    very interested to see how you get on with Whole30 Crabbcakes. I could do with doing something like that before the Christmas season starts. Are you aching from the exercises? I think its great that your kids are slowly being converted to Paleo. I think my kids still buy into CW on the whole.
    My norwegian visitors are work related. Think my husband moans as he doesnt want to be the one preparing the meals. He will just have to moan.
    Took our Norwegian visitors sightseeing yesterday before we went for a meal, there are some beautiful 18th century buildings in Liverpool and I am proud to show them off.
    Bess, unlike your daughter it defintely wont be a 6am in the morning. Though my 19 year old son frequently comes home at 7am if he goes out of a weekend. The clubs are all open until 6am. I like my sleep too much.

Page 19 of 82 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast