Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 16

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey There, Journal!

It has been a while - I last journaled on post #109, page 11, I think. I have been having these awesome conversations with a couple of foreigners (hi bess! hey anne! hello badgergirl!), so I wasn't thinking of posting here... sorry I have been fickle lately - I'll try to be more loyal to you whilst I still play with my new friends, okay?

I have some good news, some stunning news, and some mediocre news. The mediocre news first: the YAYOG thing is not really off the ground yet, but I have actually been doing some morning movement with Third. She has daily therapy that we do before school together, and I have been doing her assigned exercises with her. I have been doing stretches (Third has painfully tight hamstrings) and jumping jacks - this morning I popped off 50 of them, easy. (It isn't easy for Third, though, but she is highly amused that I have been doing them too, and not just telling her to.) I do have a more formal plan - since the YAYOG book is divided into the four sections Push, Pull, Core, and Legs/Glutes, that is how I will do the movements - one day Push, the next Pull, the next Core, and then Legs/Glutes. Since that makes four days, I will add a day of Sprint, and then I get a day or two off before I do it again.

I got some serious LHT yesterday. First and I hauled a heavy, heavy bookshelf up the stairs and into our schoolroom. The thing was so heavy that we had to use big rubber boots like wheel blocks under the bottom edge so the darn thing wouldn't slide down our carpeted stairs and crush one of us. We managed it without incident, but my butt felt sore for an hour or so afterwards.

For the good news, I pulled the belt-measure to the THIRD belt hole two days ago!! YeeeeeHawwwww!! It didn't stay there for long - once I had lunch, it was more comfortable to have it in the second hole, but while it was there, it felt good and I wasn't restricted in my movement or breathing. I am in love with Primal all over again...

I am back to nibbling on dark chocolate. I kind of ran out, and decided to try to live without my daily habit, but I missed it so much that I found myself snacking on jam instead. The jam was of a high quality, but I noticed that I didn't really feel so well while eating that so I think I will stick with dark choc for a while longer. It seems to be the lesser of two evils.

I visited my old church this past Sunday, and since it was Fast Sunday (the first Sunday of every month is dedicated to a 24-hour (or 2 meals, depending on your health status and such) fast there) I fasted. I have to say, that was the most comfortable Fast Sunday I have ever had! I sat through 3 hours of church, one more hour of talking, and two more hours of travel time, and outside of one sip of water, (having last eaten Saturday night) I wasn't dreaming of food or anything like unto it. Oh, Primal, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

While I was AWOL from the forum these past two days, I had my first teeth cleaning since beginning Primal and my hygienist said that my teeth have never looked cleaner - and she said this BEFORE I told her about the Primal! Double wow!! She did find a new, small cavity, but if you knew how very soft my dental enamel has always been, and how my choppers are held together by crowns and high-tech glass-ceramic porcelain, you would be glad that it is only a small one (as I am).

And now for the stunning news... one of Third's therapists has turned her whole nuclear family Primal - after I so enthusiastically described Third's speech improvements using Primal principles to her! This I am completely stunned by. I wasn't even trying to proselytize anybody - I just wanted her to know what methods we were currently using with Third so the therapist would be up-to-date. This therapist then did her own research and came to her own conclusions, and now she credits me with bringing her to this. I. Am. Floored.

We are still missing Cat something fierce. Mr. Crabbcakes is off on a business trip. Second caught a flu-ey bug. And Third is having a rough time keeping her "busy fingers" off everything in sight (which completely pisses off her sisters - wouldn't you get cranky if your sister kept touching and feeling and grabbing your stuff - right up to and including the dinner on your plate!?). Third goes through periods like this, and unfortunately she is in the throes of another. Sigh. I think Third needs more time under her "heavy blanket" (a weighted blanket prescribed for her by her OT) - it always calms her.

Such, dear Journal, is the state of the household at Crabbcakes Manor. I will still try to add the YAYOG "official" beginning in each day. Thanks for waiting around for me to get back to you... Auf Wiedersehen!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I've got to say, I enjoy hanging out at your journal far more than my own. Yours is rather like a street party, complete with snacks, bunting and chats to that fascinating-looking person from No52.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by Bess58 View Post
    The visit in the nursery home was depressing as usual

(snipped) On a Primal note, I'm very interested in hearing how your families view your nutritional changes. What do your children say, do they crave old favourites or do they eat what you cook for them? Are your husbands on board? Have you been eating comparatively "clean" before, or was Primal a big change for you?
    Hey bess!

My mom works in a nursing home, and has for the last 20 years. She is one of the kitchen managers. I hate it there. The staff are all very caring and all - it just smells funny to me, and is filled with folks who don't know where they are or what they are doing, and it always reminds me of why I want to go on to my next life if there is no real quality of life left in my situation. The staff have my complete respect - I don't think I could do that kind of caretaking. The first time I visited my mom at her work, there was a woman in a wheelchair with a tray, and she just spat out her complete set of dentures and wouldn't put them back in. After having Third around for 11 years now, I am more sensitive to the myriad reasons why someone might want some adjustment made to their comfort and might not be able to articulate that, but I can't get over the things I see there.

As far as how my family is taking the Primal thing - Hubby is doing it with me, albeit with a few cheats. I don't currently require all four Kids Crabbcakes to be Primal - just Third, as her SCD diet is 95% there anyway. Second is pumped about Primal food (my Second is a meat lover...) and is a good support person for me (even though I never asked her to do this function for me - she just wants to. She mostly reminds me of what my goals are if it looks like I might run into temptation.). We have had a number of WOE's in this house in our search for good health for all, so me doing the Primal excites nobody - they all just wanted to know if lots of yummy food was going to hit the dinner table as usual. We all have really unusual eating habits anyways (like having dinner for breakfast and decently often eating meals only when hungry and not by any schedule).

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I've got to say, I enjoy hanging out at your journal far more than my own. Yours is rather like a street party, complete with snacks, bunting and chats to that fascinating-looking person from No52.
    Glad you came to the party!

I do have a cultural question for you, since you are in Melbourne and all. What, exactly, is the relationship of Australia to England? I know the corner of your flag is Union Jack, but beyond that (and the transported convict history), does England have any real (read: legal) say in Aussie life?

And for the gossip... what is your personal opinion of Mary Donaldson?

You've asked a big question and I'm not sure I'm educated enough to answer. I do know that in the 70s the Governor General (a royal - ie UK - appointment) dissolved the Australian parliament, the democratically elected parliament, as was his constitutional right. The Queen is still the head of State, despite a couple of republican referenda in the 1980-90s. The legal system and the state are clearly modelled on the parent country, but there's a lot that's been magpied from the US too.

I think the connection is more soft cultural than hard constitutional though. There's a lot of people who look back to the old country - whether consciously or not - and the cultural cringe (a feeling of national shame at a lack of culture) is still somewhat in evidence.

It feels like an adolescent country to me. Often moody and immature. A little bit rebellious against the olds (an Aussie term for parents, but here used in that sense as well as to refer to the old world).

Mary Donaldson? My impression, from the covers of the gossip rags that I see as I'm waiting at the supermarket, is that she is highly thought of.

I'm sure the real Aussies on the boards will have a very different take on it all though and, I feel moved to say, they are incredibly welcoming and friendly people. I'm a guest here really and they are great hosts: the barbie, the family, friends, wine... sometimes there's an insular naivete or complacency to them, but its innocent and good-natured. It's very hard not to love them (reader, I married him and my son is a little Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi). There's not the aggressiveness that can come as part and parcel with, say, American national pride. No front. No concept of my country right or wrong - at least in my experience - it's more: "My country is great - look there's a marsupial! Now, let's crack open a few beers/bottles and enjoy the sunshine...cute accent! Where you from?"
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Where'd everyone go? One minute there was a party, the next minute everyone disappears...

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Howdy all, (don't know why I said howdy as I always associate it with the US and wouldn't dream of actually saying it out loud)
    Just a quick line as not long in from work and MIL coming for a meal.
    Been away on a long weekend with girlfriends. Had really relaxing time, spa session, leisurely walks etc. We tried quad biking which was terrifying yet brilliant. Ate out every night so too frightened to go on scales yet.
    Speak soon, must gp

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Howdy all, (don't know why I said howdy as I always associate it with the US and wouldn't dream of actually saying it out loud)
    Just a quick line as not long in from work and MIL coming for a meal.
    Been away on a long weekend with girlfriends. Had really relaxing time, spa session, leisurely walks etc. We tried quad biking which was terrifying yet brilliant. Ate out every night so too frightened to go on scales yet.
    Speak soon, must gp

UPDATE
    Well MIL gone after a paleo fry up. She is undergoing chemo after bowel cancer, so feel the need to ask her around for meals etc at the moment.
    I went to circuit training last night, there were two new, young people who were training for marathons. Quite motivating to see that I could do far more than them. We do a lot of plyometric (I think theyre called) different type of jumps, so cos I am used to them I could do them for the full time.
    Admittedly I would not even consider doing a marathon.
    Going to Zumba later.

Hope everyone ok?
    Last edited by annedawso; 09-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Hi All!

Sorry I have been so absent - sports and outside classes began last week/are beginning through this week, and we are still seeing how much time the whole prep-travel-do-return home-home life-bedtime thing is working out. Yesterday swim classes began for First, Second, and Fourth (Third gets them too - we just are waiting to hear from her private teacher of the handicapped when she will have time this school year for us). We are at a new YMCA facility, as the old one had a massive schedule overhaul and it didn't work for us anymore (damn! - that was one sweet place to swim - big, modern facilities.... the new place is good, but smaller by a good bit and needs to be renovated). But not all is lost - another homeschool family had the same reaction to the schedule and moved to the other YMCA along with us, so my girls still have their homeschool friends to swim with.

Last week First and Second began an AP Fine Arts class at their piano school, and also their piano lessons on the school-year schedule.

Tomorrow gymnastics begins for Second and Fourth. And I am still seeing how early I have to get Third up so we can get everything done before it is time to drive her to school. (Third isn't independent in most things yet, so I have to get her out of bed, check her clothing, actually clean her teeth/comb and style her hair for her, and then there is cooking her diet lunch/food for the day, and also doing her morning therapy exercises, and she is kind of ADD with everything, so you can't let her out of her sight -- otherwise you will find her in some other part of the house doing anything but what we need to do to get ready... With all that, she is needing 2 hours in the morning.)

We started the Sunday School schedule at church, and I am one of three teachers of the 4th-7th grade kids. Third and Fourth are now in my class for the first time - they got bumped up a class due to their ages. First and Second started the Coming of Age classes (kind of a UU-style confirmation).

For good news - I got my new passport book/passport card yesterday, so I am now officially good to go to Germany in November!

The best news: I actually have a long enough block of time AND Third is allowed in the young children's child care room at the Y, that I have time for a YOGA CLASS (while the other three are in the pool/showers)! I'll ask the Y about the level of the class tomorrow - hopefully it isn't some kind of master class thingy, as I have done yoga only once in my life - one class of yoga designed for pregnant women.

We are starting to have fall weather here - definitely cool nights/mornings. Gorgeous. My favorite time of the year!!

And this Friday night, First and Fourth and I (and some more homeschoolers) are spending the entire night at the Cleveland Zoo, courtesy of the homeschool group we belong to (and the Education Department of the Cleveland Zoo, as they put on these overnighters for educational purposes). We are scheduled to go through the zoo with night vision goggles on, sleep in permanent tents centrally located in the zoo, see the animal hospital on the grounds, get a private exhibition with some small animals... FUN! Fourth is jigging her way through her days until this Friday.

So, ladies and gents, that is what has been keeping me from the MDA. What have YOU been up to?

Bess58 is offline Member
    Just a short note as I am also very busy. Anne, nice to hear about your wonderful weekend. And good to hear about the motivation you got out of your circuit training. I remember reading some time back that you sort of dragged yourself there. What an improvement, you sound quite enthusiastic now!

Crabbcakes, what a busy life! I feel exhausted just from reading about your life. Glad to hear that you get at least some "me-time" for yourself. Good luck with the yoga class! And the night at the zoo sounds heavenly. What an adventure for the children!

Here, autumn / fall has begun too. At night it gets quite cold already, and it's rainy and cloudy. Everywhere summer holidays are over (you must know that in the different federal states summer holidays differ too), and life gets back to normal. I'm doing my weight lifting sessions again which I neglected during the hot weeks. I have a feeling that I'm coming down with something (swollen lymph node), so I'm making broth out of a whole chicken today.

Have to get back to work. I got a new novel in, so I have a lot of translation work to do. Two science fiction novels at the same time - so greetings from outer space, and see you when my spaceship passes MDA next time ...

Edited to add: I had some bone broth left from the last batch and had three mugs of it during the day. Feeling much better now, at nine in the evening, and the lymph node has decreased significantly in size, whereas this morning I looked like a hamster on the left side of my face. Do you make bone broth too? I am fully convinced that it can cure almost everything.
    Last edited by Bess58; 09-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast