Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 15

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the very thorough explanation. Actually the schooling and child care provision for younger children sounds very similar.
    Though most of our schools now have what they call a Nursery school attached were kids from approx 3 and a half attend for free either in the am or pm. They basically just play but gets them used to school life.
    Where you would say kindergarten we would say infant school. Where you would say middle or junior high we would say "primary school" or "junior school" all the kids from age 4 to 11 are part of the same school but are normally in a separate building close by.

I went to a convent school run by the sisters of Mercy. I enjoyed school especially sixth form. I had to pass a national exam called the 11+ to get into what was called a Grammer school. Those kids who didnt pass went to the local Comprenhensive school. We lived in a tiny house in inner city Liverpool when I was young without much money. I visited the Library every day and read constantly. As the house was so small I would spend as much time in the Library as I could just to escape and be able to read and do my homework in peace.
    People can be cruel about kids who don't pass exams. I am fortunate that all my 3 have excelled at schoolwork and exams, though I know it could easily be the other way. Sometimes I wish those who brag about thir kids and try to put down others would have their comeuppance. It is to easy to criticise.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    What is YAYOG?
    I didn't know you were going to Germany? Who is going, why are you going and how long for? excuse my nosiness.
    YAYOG = "You Are Your Own Gym", a book by Mark Lauren. A book about bodyweight exercises. I chose this one because they have total beginner, wimpy-ass exercises for blobs like me, and build up to gymnast-difficulty. And there is not one shred of exercise equipment to buy, or a gym to find, or clothing to source.

I know a bit about Physical Therapy, being around Third in the PT gym all these years, and I see that the progressions Lauren gives are slow, methodical, and correct.

The best part is that these can be done everywhere you find yourself, by yourself - no fuss, no muss.

Re Germany - my mom is a German immigrant to the US (the only immigrant in her family, ever - to anywhere), so fully half my family is there. I'll be over there (all by myself - no hubby or kids!) because one of my favorite cousins is getting married. And because it has been too damn long since I last got over. I arrive mid-November and stay for two weeks. I want to get fit because I was trim and sporty the last time I was there - it was pre-husband, pre-kids, pre-housewifey thing, pre-postpartum depression and nasty weight gain... you get the idea.

My grandmother and my uncle are fixated on physical appearances, and I don't care to be the fat, lazy, stereotypical American. Mind you, they do this to all their kids, spouses, etc., so I am not being singled out just because of my citizenship. I really don't need their validation for anything, but I wanted to do this for myself anyway, and the timing of this trip just happens to dovetail nicely with my desires for a healthier me. The deadline gives me a wee little push in the right direction...
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 09-01-2012 at 07:42 AM.

I totally know where you are coming from re your trip to Germany. I too would want to look good. Bet you won't know yourself - no husband and kids.
    In centerparcs I did a mini YAYOG I suppose as the equipment was not very good. I based it on some of the exercise that we do during circuit training and also the Jillian Michaels DVD's. I set my timer to 50 seconds and did a couple of circuits of
    Mountain climbers
    Push ups -on my knees, (shoulders still to sore to do full push ups)
    Burpees
    Jumping on and off a box
    Plank
    Jumps from side to side.
    My husband did them with me so i felt obliged to try hard to impress him with my fitness (don't think it worked.)
    I have had my kids and their friends do a circuit with me in the past. Could you rope the kids in to do it with you, creates a nice competitive edge.

I think you should tell us your routine everyday to spur you on. Though as they say it is 90% what you eat.
    12 weeks is a good amount of time to have, though amazing how quick it goes.
    That is really interesting about your mum being the only one to emigrate from Germany. What made her do it?
    Last edited by annedawso; 09-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    I think you should tell us your routine everyday to spur you on. Though as they say it is 90% what you eat.
    12 weeks is a good amount of time to have, though amazing how quick it goes.
    That is really interesting about your mum being the only one to emigrate from Germany. What made her do it?
    I was actually thinking of doing a quick daily check-in of the YAYOGing. But I have to warn you - I have never in my life done any exercise "routine". In my former life, marching band, bike riding, walking around European cities/the German countryside, helping my grandmother in her garden doing wood chopping, etc.... all that kept me fit without the need for a routine. The first couple of days will be snoozingly boring as I just figure out how to do the exercises at all.

Re my mom leaving Germany - I have no true reason why she felt compelled to leave, as she has never told me in straight-forward words. I strongly suspect it was that she had finally had enough of my Oma (my mom's mother). My Oma has made a career and life of being bitter about everything, and it is really hard on the nerves. I left her house after four months because of it. (She and I had an agreement that I would live there for one year while I learned the language, and then I would return to the US and begin my studies.) She is bitter that she ended up as a poor country gal and mother of 5 instead of a posh city chick (she wanted to be in Berlin) and mother of maaaaybe 1.7. And to add insult to injury, none of her kids became rich and important and chic and looked up to - they all had difficult marriages and lives (but one of Oma's sisters did it, so why can't her kids, eh?!?!) And she is still very, very good at making her children feel inadequate and small and ugly. At this point, my uncle (Oma's only son) has bowed out of the family - the last I heard, he basically said "don't call me - I'll call you". She does have a core of goodness in there, but it takes a couple of bottles of that good German white wine in her (so she forgets to be bitter and nasty) to make her funny and normal.

I don't think I'll last 24 hours before I miss them horribly (the kids and the hubby), but I'm not the type to ruin a trip due to homesickness, so I know it will be okay. If it gets too bad, then I will just go shopping for them.

I can understand your mum wanting to get away from such a home life. It is very sad that your Oma ( is that a German word) we would say nana or gran, though I know some families have pet names. ) has spent so much of her life being unhappy with her lot in life. There are far worse things than not achieving the social standard in life you would like. Your mum couldn't have chosen much further away.
    I found in my family as my relatives got older they were more mellow. Maybe they began to realise all the moaning and mean spirited thoughts were getting them nowhere. Unfortunately my grandparents have all died as they were real characters.
    My mums mum(gran) was from a reasonably wealthy family in Ireland who owned a farm. Unfortunately her mum died when she was young during childbirth. The dad became an alcohollc and drank the farm away.
    My gran was sent to Liverpool when she was 14 to work as a housemaid. I can still recall her telling me the story of arriving on the boat at Liverpool and getting on a horse and trap.
    She ended up having 5 kids, was happily married and very religious. Her bedroom was covered in holy pictures and she attended church most days. I can remember her as a cheerful person, never moaning about her aches and pains, always on the go.
    Funny haveny thought about her for ages.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with your exercise routine. YouTube is great for seeing how to do particular exercises.
    Plus I find some type of timer a help so you know when the one is up.

I know when I have gone away without the kids-work trips etc. I have found tht although I miss them i don't really think about them as I have that much rushing around to do.
    Good luck with your YAYOG.

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hi all!

Where are you? I see nobody has been writing here since Saturday. Thanks for all the good wishes, my family visit went well - which is not always the case. Unfortunately my sister in law as well as their three children are prone to yelling and temper tantrums, so sometimes a visit consists of nothing more than sitting in the kitchen and watching them quarrel. This time everything went calm and even relaxed. The visit in the nursery home was depressing as usual - my mother is in a wheelchair, doesn't recognise anyone any more, and you cannot understand what she says - it all comes out in a mumble that subsides after a few words. She is over eighty and has been that way for years. What a terrible way to live out your life! I wouldn't want to be like this. I so hope that Primal eating and the good omega 3s will keep my from developing dementia ...

Fleamarket successes were mixed. It was a small one and didn't attract many visitors; especially as there were several other interesting events in Cologne that Sunday. But I sold some earrings and bracelets and earned the fee that I spent on the stall and a little more - so not a total loss. And I had interesting conversations with the neighbours and met a friend that I hadn't seen since our children were in kindergarten together.

Ann, you asked me if I intend to stay single. Yes, I do. I know that this is difficult to understand for many people and a very personal decision. You see, I tend to fall for the wrong kind of men that are not good for me, it's really a pattern, and about ten years ago I decided not to play that game any more. Peace of mind has been the result ... And, as I said, a lifestyle with very little housework.

On a Primal note, I'm very interested in hearing how your families view your nutritional changes. What do your children say, do they crave old favourites or do they eat what you cook for them? Are your husbands on board? Have you been eating comparatively "clean" before, or was Primal a big change for you?

It's gotten late, and although I hope it reads easily, it takes me longer to write in English than in German. I'm off to watch the latest issue of "Who wants to be a millionaire" on the Internet. Do you like the show? The internet (which I like to refer to as "auntie Google") told me that you have it too in the UK and the US.

Hope to read from you soon!

Hi Bess,
    glad your trip went well, so sad about your mum. They do say that a low carb diet does help prevent Alzheimers, though who knows. I used to worry about the future as to whether I would get something like that but as I have got older I just think what will be will be so what is the point of worrying.
    I can totally understand you wanting to be single, I have a friend with a young daughter who is exactly the same. I think if I split up from my husband I couldn't be bothered to go through another relationship. You get more set in your ways as you get older. Being married has its ups and downs, not sure if it just my husband but I feel like a servant sometimes. We both work full time yet I do most of the housework, shopping etc. Though I now make sure I go to my classes in the gym regularly, at one time I used to think I should leave it and tidy up.
    Don't know where Crabbcakes is, she may be that busy doing YAYOG she hasn't got time to post!!!

Re my family and Primal. Well over the last few months my husband has gone 80% primal, he does have the odd slice of bread and one bowl of porridge a day but has really cut out down on all the non processed food. He has had amazing results as he trains most days and plays football a couple of times a week.
    My eldest is studying pharmacy but is very open minded to a paleo lifestyle. He is always asking me questions about whether
    certain foods are good for him or not. He has also listened to a few podcasts by Robb Wolf etc. My two eldest are both into fitness and I like to think that as they get older they will make their own decisions and see paleo lifestyles as the way to live.
    Not sure about my 9 year old, he is a chocolate addict. Although we let him have some each day we have stopped the sugary yogurts, fizzy drinks etc and he isn't allowed rubbish cereals eg coco pops. If he is hungry he is allowed a piece of cheese or ham rather than a carbohydrate snack.
    Though I must admit they all think I am a little obsessed with a paleo lifestyle!!!
    Who wants to Be a Millionaire - used to watch it but not anymore. Don't really watch quiz shows.Spend too much time on the internet.
    Speak to you later.

I've just been busy... and my big computer is having problems, so I am tapping this out on a Samsung tablet, and that is really slow going. Blech. I'll try to fix the bug and write more later today.

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hi all!

Crabbcakes - so sorry to hear about your computer. Bug = virus? That's a real nuisance. Hope to read from you soon again!

Anne, it looks like your family is on a good way with primal. Isn't it unfair that men seem to get faster results with low carb / primal? But of course congratulations to your husband for his success! And it's great that your oldest son is so interested in primal. I think the youngest will learn by your example. He is still growing, so a piece of chocolate a day won't kill him if the rest of his food is mostly primal. Maybe he will develop a taste for hearty rather than sweet snacks when you keep offering them to him. My parents told me that, as a child, I used to ask for extra sausage or cheese instead of sweets. Must have lost my way somewhere down the line though ...

Have a nice day all!

Had a very long day (for me ) in work today 8am to 6:30pm as doing a finance return.
    Shouldn't moan as I know a lot of people work these hours and longer regularly. I normally only do a 7 hr day.
    Going on a my annual girls weekend away on Friday. Hubby goes on a golf holiday each year so I thought - what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Wonder if you have heard that saying before?
    We will be having a chill out weekend - visiting a spa, reading loads of magazines, eating out and watching feel good films.
    Rather looking forward to it.
    The next time I will be off work is Christmas. My 9 year old found out earlier this year that there is no Father Christmas. Glad in a way as he used to just assume he could get whatever he wanted. My husband reckons its the end of the magic.
    Went to circuit training monday so keeping on top of my exercise regime. Gym doesn't closed until 10pm so may force myself to go at 9pm. Though may not.

Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast