Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing the fat page

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member

Facing the fat

I have just watched this programe where a guy did a 55day smartwater fast. Turns out he lost 44lbs of which 40 were pure fat and only 4lb was muscle mass.
    This sort of puts to rest the starvation mode, muscle loss theory you think?
    Or could he have been a one off?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hard to say without access to more data. I have no idea what a smartwater fast is.....what his activities where during the fast.....his metabolic health prior to the fast.....how they measured fat/lean mass and so on and so forth.

Smart water is just water with elecrolites. I didnt catch the begginning but he had a nutritionist, doctor and such on hand. He did try playing tennis on day 44 but ended up exhustted for the next 10 hours. I was just interested in the fat and muscle loss myself, also he was using those keytone sticks and at the begginning went really dark the up and down until the last two weeks when they stayed at trace.

Did anyone see this?

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Well your body, especially males, releases GH in response to no food as a survival mechanism to help preserve your muscle in times of starvation. If he was overweight, I can believe that, more fat stores to feed off of for energy.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't there a scotsman who fasted for a year or so, and lost like 200+ pounds?

There are plenty of calories in fat- a day's worth or more in each pound. If he's getting adequate nutrition (vitamins and minerals, etc) I don't see how it is all that impossible.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do think fasting works differently for men. Personally, I would have been a mess, Smartwater or not, but that's just me.

According to Wikipedia (because the actual Smartwater website is annoying as crap and pretty much useless):

Smartwater is distilled water and electrolytes with 10 mg of calcium, 15 mg of magnesium, and 10 mg of potassium per liter
    I'm still going to need fat or my brain is going to have a meltdown.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

rhiarti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Wasn't there a scotsman who fasted for a year or so, and lost like 200+ pounds?
    There was, yes! Mark talks about it here.

As for the original question... I guess in the absence of any form of food, your body's only choice is to switch from carb burning to fat burning. So it's kind of like what we do, but without the daily deliciousness!
    Went primal for the weight loss, stayed for the quality of life!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well studies still show that you tend to lose muscle mass along with fat. The two things that tend to consistently show up as a way to retain muscle while losing weight is keeping your protein up and resistance training.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well studies still show that you tend to lose muscle mass along with fat. The two things that tend to consistently show up as a way to retain muscle while losing weight is keeping your protein up and resistance training.
    It depends on how much muscle mass you have to begin with. If this guy was fat w/ little muscle mass, his body would have a much easier time protecting what little muscle he had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast