Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No lentils/beans? Really? page

Pudpud is offline Member

No lentils/beans? Really?

Could someone please expain in idiot proof language why these foods are so bad for me? I'd be most grateful!

Pudpud is offline Member
    and peanuts.... what's wrong with them?

Ribbons is offline Senior Member

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I've started adding legumes back occasionally (well soaked!) with no ill effects.I LOVE lentils, and they are very high in some vitamins / minerals ... look at the folate content!

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt

Red kidney beans I love too - well soaked again, and boiled well. I can't see any harm in them - and given that cooking has been going for 250,000 years or so, (possibly up to 1.5 million years), I can't see anything wrong with cooking beans. This "if you can't eat it raw, you can't eat it" thing doesn't resonate for me. Pork??!!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to add the beans back... particularly red beans... please be aware that long soaking is not enough. Many people become sick each year from only soaking and crockpot cooking beans (especially red beans).
    They must be boiled, at a good solid boil, for about 20 min to sufficiently reduce the compounds that can make you sick.
    Follow good procedure and it should be OK... soak for 24 hours, drain water, boil for 20min, drain water, cook until soft... then eat. Some sites say 5-10 min boiling is enough... others 10-20... I would err to the side of caution and go the full 20 min.
    Seriously.
    Off the Contrary: Science Fact - The Dangers of Kidney Beans

I would apply those rules of bean cooking to ALL beans, not just red ones.
    Except for lentils, and they would still get a good initial boil before being turned down to simmer.

I don't normally eat beans and I don't feel that I need them. But I would eat a small mount on occasion, and not worry about it if they were properly prepared.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I thought it would be ages till I cut out beans and lentils, and planned to keep eating them for a good few weeks after cutting out grains, potatoes, sugar et al. I found I dropped them pretty quick. I just didn't want them. Lentils are the least toxix as far as I am aware, and need the least preperation as a result.

I wouldn't ever buy and prepare pulses myself now, but I'd eat a chilli someone else had made with some kidney beans in it once in a while (and hope they had been preped properly) and I have had the odd dip of humous at parties. I find them pretty meh now so don't miss them at all and I certainly don't miss the bloating (the farting was fun though).
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Darz is offline Senior Member
    You can have legumes - just soak, sprout and boil them for about 10 mins before simmering.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    You can have legumes - just soak, sprout and boil them for about 10 mins before simmering.
    I go one further. You can eat whatever you want, its your life. You want beans, go for it, you are an adult.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    There is no good or convincing evidence against legumes. They are really a good food choice, very satiating. Far better than the 'darling' sweet potato imo or white rice. You might not be able to call yourself Paleo or Primal if you eat legumes on the regular basis, but whole foods or slow carbs diets are your dietary label if you need one. That's what I decided last week. I guess I should get off these boards, since I abandoned the style of eating. I just see negative consequences to dropping dairy and legumes & disagree that they should be cut out. However, it is hard to keep the carb count low if you add beans. If you have 1/2 cup and some veggies you are likely to end up in 50-75 g carbs range rather than under 50 g range.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudpud View Post
    Could someone please expain in idiot proof language why these foods are so bad for me? I'd be most grateful!
    They aren't. People will go on about anti nutrients and other garbage yet I doubt anyone can provide even lofty evidence through human studies as to why you shouldn't eat lentils.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast