Thread: The Ancient Art of Letter-Writing page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

The Ancient Art of Letter-Writing

I got a wild, zany, nostalgic hair up my arse and decided to send my friends handwritten letters, via postal mail. So far, the response has been overwhelming. It turns out, people enjoy getting mail other than bills. Any other handwritten letter throwbacks out there?

Paleobird Guest
    Sigh. I remember when that was the only way to send a message other than smoke signals, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sigh. I remember when that was the only way to send a message other than smoke signals, of course.
    or cans with string. Or pagers.

Paleobird Guest
    When I grew up there were no pagers, cell phones, internet, video games, cable tv, etc. In the 6th largest city in the USA there were 3 tv stations that all went dark at 10pm.

Yeah. I read a lot of books as a kid.

When I grew up there were no pagers, cell phones, internet, video games, cable tv, etc. In the 6th largest city in the USA there were 3 tv stations that all went dark at 10pm.

Yeah. I read a lot of books as a kid.
    Nintendo had just arrived, when I was a kid- my grandfather bought one for himself . I remember going outside to build forts and ride bikes from dusk til dawn. I had a special boulder and a special tree that I would use as my reading base camp. I really miss that time.

Paleobird Guest
    Are you old enough to remember the Pong Machine, the first video game ever? My sister and I were the test market subjects for that because my uncle was one of the guys that started Atari. They sat us down in front of the prototype pong machine and said, "Here, play this. Do you think it is fun? Do you think people would buy this?" That was the extent of the market research they did.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    ...because my uncle was one of the guys that started Atari.
    My husband still has his original Atari system, joystick and all. These days, when he plays, he routes the sound through four Bose speakers... ever hear Space Invaders through Bose set up in a surround sound pattern and cranked up?? All the cats, and a few other humans go hide as the house vibrates...

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've gotten a few handwritten letters lately, it's nice.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    I remember having pen-friends as a kid (well teen really). I loved getting mail, it was exciting.

Now the only mail I get is bills, I miss having letters.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wrote a letter to a friend a couple weeks ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm actually hoping he doesn't write back, as his left-handed writing looks like chicken scratch and would need to be translated to human language.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.