Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 3-week free gym membership - older woman needs advice, please page

  1. #1
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389

    3-week free gym membership - older woman needs advice, please

    Primal Fuel
    There was a special at our local gym and I was given a gift of a month for free (unlimited usage for me and my 9-yr old son) for July only. He and I have used the pool every day but I just realized I have access to tons of gym equipment, classes, and a weight area as well (DUH!) So heck, I want to start using it. Itís only Ďtil the end of July, so I want to make the next 3 weeks really count.

    Iím a 47 year old woman. Iíve been sedentary most of my life and am way out of shape. Iím currently 202 lbs (down from 243) and primal on a strict budget since March (minus a 6 week detour dang it). Despite relatively low energy, Iíve been doing a lot of the slow moving recommended by Mark (biking, walking, gentle hiking, and heavy duty wysteria-fighting tree-branch-tugging & mowing in the garden) for about an hour or more most days for the past 6-8 weeks. Iím often sore from this slow moving stuff (especially the biking).

    Iíve finally started knuckling down on the sections in Markís Ebook on fitness beyond the slow moving and know I can follow most of his suggestions at home, but this health club is free and I really want to use whatís available to me as much as I can. I was figuring on perhaps starting their circuit training on those dozens of machines every other day just to wake up a few muscles and get the ball rolling on strength training and also to try and start lifting weights (very easy/light ones) if I can get a free 1/2 hour training session or perhaps get someone there to show me the ropes. Iíd like to learn the proper stance in person and not from a book and then just do stuff at home when the month is over with home made stuff following the fitness e-book.

    Can you give me your suggestions on what to do given my age and lack-of-any-muscle-what-so-ever-except-for-what-keeps-me-walking-upright? I donít currently have any free sessions with a trainer, but Iím sure I can talk them into 1/2 hour or an hour. I have to start small but I want to start ASAP. I am going to try to take some classes like zumba and especially yoga just to see what thatís all about and learn proper technique for yoga poses since I can continue those once the membership runs out, but I am not going to jump on any treadmills or do any spinning since my son and I do that together in a nature park and bike trails.

    Iíd appreciate any and all feedback, personal experiences, lectures, you name it. Thanks.

  2. #2
    gempdx44's Avatar
    gempdx44 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    There was a special at our local gym and I was given a gift of a month for free (unlimited usage for me and my 9-yr old son) for July only. He and I have used the pool every day but I just realized I have access to tons of gym equipment, classes, and a weight area as well (DUH!) So heck, I want to start using it. Itís only Ďtil the end of July, so I want to make the next 3 weeks really count.

    Iím a 47 year old woman. Iíve been sedentary most of my life and am way out of shape. Iím currently 202 lbs (down from 243) and primal on a strict budget since March (minus a 6 week detour dang it). Despite relatively low energy, Iíve been doing a lot of the slow moving recommended by Mark (biking, walking, gentle hiking, and heavy duty wysteria-fighting tree-branch-tugging & mowing in the garden) for about an hour or more most days for the past 6-8 weeks. Iím often sore from this slow moving stuff (especially the biking).

    Iíve finally started knuckling down on the sections in Markís Ebook on fitness beyond the slow moving and know I can follow most of his suggestions at home, but this health club is free and I really want to use whatís available to me as much as I can. I was figuring on perhaps starting their circuit training on those dozens of machines every other day just to wake up a few muscles and get the ball rolling on strength training and also to try and start lifting weights (very easy/light ones) if I can get a free 1/2 hour training session or perhaps get someone there to show me the ropes. Iíd like to learn the proper stance in person and not from a book and then just do stuff at home when the month is over with home made stuff following the fitness e-book.

    Can you give me your suggestions on what to do given my age and lack-of-any-muscle-what-so-ever-except-for-what-keeps-me-walking-upright? I donít currently have any free sessions with a trainer, but Iím sure I can talk them into 1/2 hour or an hour. I have to start small but I want to start ASAP. I am going to try to take some classes like zumba and especially yoga just to see what thatís all about and learn proper technique for yoga poses since I can continue those once the membership runs out, but I am not going to jump on any treadmills or do any spinning since my son and I do that together in a nature park and bike trails.

    Iíd appreciate any and all feedback, personal experiences, lectures, you name it. Thanks.

    I have to admit, when I clicked on thread I was expecting to see you were 65 or older, not a young 47! I am 45 and still think of myself as young, and I think you are young, too. Congrats on your 40 pound weight loss, that is amazing!

    Anyway, you are never too old to get started on improving your fitness. At 44 (6 months ago) I started strength training with a personal trainer and made dramatic changes in my body composition, appearance, and well-being. I was a cardio junkie before, but never saw much of a difference until I hit the weights, and I absolutely think you should too.

    I would definitely recommend getting some instruction, even if it's only 1 session. Have then write down the exercises for you, number of reps, sets, starting weight, etc. Focus on bodyweight/free weight exercises vs. machines - they are much more "natural" and also, a lot easier to do anywhere!

    I'm sure others will chime in with some great advice but just wanted to say "hi" on my way out the door for some "slow movement" myself. Good luck to you!

  3. #3
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,368
    PBF, SS, SL or CC
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  4. #4
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    I have to admit, when I clicked on thread I was expecting to see you were 65 or older, not a young 47! I am 45 and still think of myself as young, and I think you are young, too. Congrats on your 40 pound weight loss, that is amazing!

    Anyway, you are never too old to get started on improving your fitness. At 44 (6 months ago) I started strength training with a personal trainer and made dramatic changes in my body composition, appearance, and well-being. I was a cardio junkie before, but never saw much of a difference until I hit the weights, and I absolutely think you should too.

    I would definitely recommend getting some instruction, even if it's only 1 session. Have then write down the exercises for you, number of reps, sets, starting weight, etc. Focus on bodyweight/free weight exercises vs. machines - they are much more "natural" and also, a lot easier to do anywhere!

    I'm sure others will chime in with some great advice but just wanted to say "hi" on my way out the door for some "slow movement" myself. Good luck to you!
    Thanks, Gem. I sure will try for that training session...

  5. #5
    mike_h's Avatar
    mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    191
    Do free weights. If you rope someone into showing you the technique tell them you want to do squats and standing overhead press at least, and whatever else they recommend. If you're asked why, it's because a stranger on the internet said so

    Even if you start with an empty bar, or body weight for the squats, they are a great compound, multi-muscle exercise that you can progress for some time. Progressively adding weight is satisfying and motivating.

  6. #6
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Do free weights. If you rope someone into showing you the technique tell them you want to do squats and standing overhead press at least, and whatever else they recommend. If you're asked why, it's because a stranger on the internet said so

    Even if you start with an empty bar, or body weight for the squats, they are a great compound, multi-muscle exercise that you can progress for some time. Progressively adding weight is satisfying and motivating.
    Thanks Mike-H

    Yes, between the other threads, you, Dirlot and Gem, I'll definitely ignore the circuit machines and hang out in the free weight area and learn proper form during the next 3 weeks.

  7. #7
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    8,669
    3 Day Workout For Beginners | Muscle & Strength

    this is super easy to get into and understand and do
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  8. #8
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    3 Day Workout For Beginners | Muscle & Strength

    this is super easy to get into and understand and do
    Sorry, but I thnk the OP would get a lot more benefit doing something much simpler than that bodybuilder split, like learning to squat and press properly. I'd suggest
    Monday
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Work on getting a chinup - do inverted rows, band assist chinups, etc.
    Wed - repeat
    Friday - repeat
    That will keep you busy for three weeks! Maybe try your hand at deadlifting at some point, too.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  9. #9
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    Yeah I too was expecting someone much older! You are my age and I am not remotely old. I can do anything I could do 25 years ago and many things even better. Please stop this moment with the "old" thing. You only make it so by believing such nonsense.

    Weight training, some kind of high intensity interval, move slowly and often, eat real food and get plenty of rest and you are on your way to a new you.

  10. #10
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Yeah I too was expecting someone much older! You are my age and I am not remotely old. I can do anything I could do 25 years ago and many things even better. Please stop this moment with the "old" thing. You only make it so by believing such nonsense.

    Weight training, some kind of high intensity interval, move slowly and often, eat real food and get plenty of rest and you are on your way to a new you.
    I meant no disrespect to you, ForeverYoung. I did say oldER which is relative and not plain old (which I know I'm not). I'm not being nonsensical and claiming I'm an old fart and yup, I'm getting my sleep, eating real & clean food, and following Mark's general recommendations. All I want is advice on how to take advantage of the free health club.

    Thanks, Bloodorchid and tfarny. More to mull!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •