Thread: Failed at Making Fire...But Had a Lot of Fun page

NickBall is offline Member

Failed at Making Fire...But Had a Lot of Fun

Took the family out to the woods last week for some intensive tree therapy and wild caught trout. I wanted to really be primal and make fire using the most primitive method I could find. So my son and I went on a little hike to get supplies for a handrill fire. After careful preparation (nearly two hours of looking for materials and setting up the drill and board) I almost got the fire to start. I gave up after my hands were so blistered I couldn't go on. Some bandages, matches, and a few rainbow trout later we had a great time. My hands are healing up nice, can't wait to try this again. Can't wait for August to head out to the woods again!!

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    LOL At least you gave it a try!

We got an iron fire striker & flint when we did Viking reenactment. I can make a spark maybe 1 time out of 10, and can't imagine how much practice it would take to actually make a fire...
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Paleobird Guest
    Making fire the hard way.jpg

These were the Wahazabi people I visited while in Tanzania. These kids make it look easy. They had fun laughing at my pathetic attempts. I think it's all in the hand calluses.

NickBall is offline Member
    Great picture...I'm glad I'm not the only one to make pathetic attempts at fire. Did some reading over the weekend and will make another attempt later this week. Hopefully this grokite will have fire soon!

Paleobird Guest
    I managed to redeem my bush cred by impressing them with my archery skills. They taught me how to shoot a bow and arrow and I managed to hit the target dead center on my second pull. They all stopped and stared at me like, "Not bad for a mzunga" (swahili word for "white chick") I had never shot an arrow before in my life.

On the fire starting, the looooong stick seemed to be key. They would start at the top rubbing their hands back and forth but keeping a downward pressure on it at the same time. Their hands would slide down the stick and then they would start over agin at the top.

Let us know if it works.

rhiarti is offline Member
    Fabulous picture! I've only tried making fire once... it was similarly fruitless! Main thing is we tried, right?

Actually, I'd love to do a proper bushcraft skills course to learn how to do things like that.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBall View Post
    So my son and I went on a little hike to get supplies for a handrill fire.
    I think you'll find that the types of wood used for the board and drill are quite critical. I just use a blow torch.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.