Thread: barefoot running... wow! page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been running my whole life...but I've never considered myself a runner, per say. Got prescription orthodics when I was twelve, and struggled with on and off knee and hip pains for many years. My best 5k was about 19 minutes, pretty good, but not great.

I missed running, and after all this commotion about barefoot running and barefoot running technique, I decided to try it. I used my old racing flats, which are essentially a foot sock, and emulated the technique in various videos linked to in the primal community.

After the first day and four miles I was amazed how great I felt despite not having run in over a year. Other than slightly sore calves, no knee pain, no hip pain, no nothing! Yesterday I felt like a kangaroo just galloping along on my toes. I felt so good I decided to sprint up a hill five times that was on the way.

My only regret is not doing this sooner...

dogjogger Guest

Would you mind providing the links to some of those videos or let me know where you found them?

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Pete, I'm totally with you! Shoes mess with our stride and promote heel-striking and joint pain. When I finally started jogging around barefoot and in VFFs, I was amazed at how my calf muscles turned into shock absorbers. They were awfully sore for the first couple of weeks, but they conditioned up fast, and now I too am springy like a kangaroo.

Lolly is offline Member

i did 3.3 miles in V5s yesterday on the road which was a first for me, before then, just soft surfaces. it felt a million times better than in my nike frees which felt a million times better than my traditional cushioned running shoe. the less shoe i wear the less laborious my running is.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

I have gorgeous calves thanks to minimalist running (I run on swim flats with the sole taken out, about half an inch from the floor) I do minimalist mostly because I hate landing on pebbles and because I feel less "scared" to sprint. There aren't many grassy areas where I'd feel comfortable sprinting barefoot. I read "Born to Run" and had been minimalist before that but I reckon if the famous Tarahumara use huarache sandals to deal with the tough terrain there's no real reason/benefit in me going barefoot on rough terrain. I've had bad experiences with blisters thanks to running in warm/hot asphalt and other such things, minimalist running allows me to get the benefits of barefoot form (I don't think anybody can argue that my form is NOT that of a barefoot runner though maybe I'd hold back more if I was truly barefoot) without risking as much injury or foot discomfort.

I will say though that there's certainly more connection between you and the ground/floor when BF, obviously, and this can lead to you respecting your body more and listening to it. I may still go into it but I don't really see it as an option, tried it and it seemed like more pain and less reward than my trusty swim shoes.

Going about a year and a half strong... despite the big toe holes:

(obviously you can't see it, but I took out the insole, it used to slide around a lot plus this way I'm closer to the ground and can feel most anything without any of it being annoying)

For fun, this is one of the first meals I made when starting primal. My tenants gave me fish (they buy tons of it) and so I cooked it whole and made a veggie stir fry.

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic quality.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

I will post links in this thread with barefoot running soon.

check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIT7t2jtdP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

I'm noticing my calf muscles shaping up too! For the longest time they have been muscular but with a layer of fat on them that makes them look really big. I'm going to have some nice calf muscles hopefully soon.