Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So uhh.. how about heat exposure? page

Phresh is offline Member

So uhh.. how about heat exposure?

Primal Fuel
    With the summer rolling in hot as ever, and my frequent liking to walking outside and chillin' at the beach, I wonder of what the "heat exposure" does to me.

Walking around sweating a pool makes me feel like I'm doing my BAT a disservice. The ocean and shower water isn't cold enough anymore to get me. I can't imagine that just by default, people in colder climates are healthier due to more BAT. I know scalding your face with hot shower water is no bueno, but aside from that (and the obvious benefits of the SUN) what's all this heat doing for me?

The only thing I can think of is "sweating out toxins" - though I haven't researched it myself. What else? One of you primal junkies gotta know..

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    What is BAT?

Regular exposure to heat, and especially exercising in the heat, causes your body to adapt. Capillaries near the skin surface expand and move closer, allowing more heat to escape. You sweat more easily and at higher volume. Total blood volume increases to maintain adequate blood flow to muscles and organs when blood has to flow to the skin (this is part of the reason a non-adapted person gets so tired working in the heat--blood flow is diverted away from the muscles to dissipate it). You also excrete less salt into your sweat so you don't get depleted of electrolytes as easily.

Full adaptation takes from a few weeks to a few months depending on your physiology and how often/long/hard you play outside.

EDIT: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...U_graphic.html is a nice infographic explaining the process.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Phresh is offline Member
    Brown Adipose Tissue. The stuff they talk about on that cold thermogenesis page.

Thanks for the post though, very informative. I wonder though, can one adapt in the span of a summer? Come winter it'll be cold again, I wonder if all that adaptation will go byebye.

That's a good thing. Why would you want to be heat-adapted in the winter, or cold-adapted in the summer? If you are outside a lot it only takes a few weeks and you will naturally acclimate during the spring and fall.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Phresh is offline Member
    Just sayin', if you frequent the outdoors would it last until the next summer. I suppose not though. I think I'd want to stay cold adapted for the BAT benefits. And, I've definitely noticed psychological benefits. I can't think straight in the heat. In the cool weather, I seem to become a more intelligent and at-peace being.

Quote Originally Posted by Phresh View Post
    Just sayin', if you frequent the outdoors would it last until the next summer. I suppose not though. I think I'd want to stay cold adapted for the BAT benefits. And, I've definitely noticed psychological benefits. I can't think straight in the heat. In the cool weather, I seem to become a more intelligent and at-peace being.
    Right--you can't think straight because you're not properly adapted to the heat, your body temperature is getting too high and you're getting tired trying to keep up with the heat you need to dissipate. If you were adapted it wouldn't make you feel so slow and crappy.

I wouldn't get too caught up in all that cold thermogenesis woo-stuff. Let your body get used to its environment and do what it needs to do to keep you comfortable and healthy in the season you're currently experiencing, not the one you're trying to artificially replicate because Jack Kruse says it will make you invincible but only if you don't eat a banana in December.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 07-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.

My Primal Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Right--you can't think straight because you're not properly adapted to the heat, your body temperature is getting too high and you're getting tired trying to keep up with the heat you need to dissipate. If you were adapted it wouldn't make you feel so slow and crappy.

I wouldn't get too caught up in all that cold thermogenesis woo-stuff. Let your body get used to its environment and do what it needs to do to keep you comfortable and healthy in the season you're currently experiencing, not the one you're trying to artificially replicate because Jack Kruse says it will make you invincible but only if you don't eat a banana in December.
    Amen.

Also, I do work outside in the heat (Vegas) and I find that I'm fairly well adapted, but when I don't eat like I should, it really does feel hotter, even at the same temp and humidity.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Phresh is offline Member
    Sound advice, for sure. I just like all the information I can get my hands on, so I ask questions.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I have been sitting outside during lunch, and for a few hours at a time, in the shade, at 104 F temps. I'm comfortable. If the world goes to shit and AC fails forever, I need to be acclimated, in order to fight zombies

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post

Perhaps trying to work on their BAT during the summer is actually preventing CT devotees from dealing with the heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast