Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium and Magnesium for DOMS page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Potassium and Magnesium for DOMS

Primal Fuel
    I lifted a lot yesterday, and would normally be sore by now. Instead I rode my bike to the park and did a ton of arm work at max intensity without any sign of fatigue. Is this really from my new electrolyte supplementation or did I just get lucky somehow? Anybody else have this experience?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    That's definitely on the list of things to test.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i haven't done any strict experimentation, but i am convinced that magnesium (potassium makes sense too...i should make sure i'm getting that) helps with DOMS. i'm noticing a considerable difference in recovery time between when i know i'm getting good amounts of those supplements (or food sources) and when i'm not. i've been doing new WODs all week, and the magnesium that i'm popping is the only reason i can still walk, i think.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I can never remember good sources of potassium, besides bananas, which I don't eat a lot of.
    Broccoli?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    I can never remember good sources of potassium, besides bananas, which I don't eat a lot of.
    Broccoli?
    lots of places. potatoes, some spices, herbs, fish, apricots, swiss chard, spinach, avocados, some nuts...this list goes on.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I gave up on food as a source of electrolytes. It's clear I need unnatural levels of electrolytes. My kidneys are probably trashed from years of bad living. So I'm taking 730 mg of potassium chloride and 400mg magnesium sulfate daily. And STILL no soreness. Apparently, I just became a machine.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Or you are getting used to your training. DOMS should not be a regular part of training,it just indicates you are doing something new. If you do SS or a similar program, you don't get any DOMS after a while, you just get deeply fatigued. Alternatively, maybe you are a T3000 cyborg.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I gave up on food as a source of electrolytes. It's clear I need unnatural levels of electrolytes. My kidneys are probably trashed from years of bad living. So I'm taking 730 mg of potassium chloride and 400mg magnesium sulfate daily. And STILL no soreness. Apparently, I just became a machine.
    Same for me. I have to supplement those or I get muscle fatigue and weakness even without working out!

I'm thinking of adding in some work-outs. Maybe I'll bump them up a bit.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Broccoli?
    Coconut water (with nothing else added) is also a good source of potassium. Vita Coco is pretty good -- a little sweet, but not overpowering. I'm going to take some with me to have after my workout today.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been tracking my food at Fitday. Potassium is one mineral that I notice is low on my primal diet! So I do a little research on vitamin sups and find that it is very low in multivitamin formulations apparently because it can be dangerous in high amounts? This is true? (seems a very large amount can stop your heart) I am taking 300 mg Potassium Citrate now and am thinking of bumping it up to 500 mg daily. Thoughts? Is there a danger on a continuous basis? Seems the paleo/primal diet is low unless you eat a lot from the veggie/fruit side of things.

I am eating roughly 65% fat, 25% protein 10% carbs. I have metabolic syndrome and am working to eliminate it.
    Last edited by Moochy; 07-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast