Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coconut milk solidified why? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jmosery View Post
    Ok so when a recipe calls for coconut milk do I just use the solid part on the recipe? Do I have to melt it or anything? I went to use it in an egg bake so assumed I would need it to be liquid to mix it
    If I'm putting it in a satay I mix it all up together. If I'm making a creamy dessert I exclude the whey (and use it in something else).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmosery View Post
    Ok so when a recipe calls for coconut milk do I just use the solid part on the recipe? Do I have to melt it or anything? I went to use it in an egg bake so assumed I would need it to be liquid to mix it
    Nah - no "melting" (unless you somehow found your can in the freezer...). Just cook with it a bit - you will get the hang of it quickly. I wish I could give much more specific advice, but I don't know what an "egg bake" is, although I can imagine.

Also - read the labels on the different coconut milk cans. Some are "lite" coconut milk (= thinner fatty layer and more liquid). If the can does not say "lite" it will be the regular, more fatty coconut milk. (USA stores)

sbhikes mentioned coconut "manna" - I just saw that in my health food store, but I have no experience with that, other than to say that it was in a glass jar, was solid at room temperature, and upon reading the label, has the actual coconut meat in it. Coconut milk is an extract of the coconut meat.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Heh... I always keep a can of coconut milk tucked into the refrigerator just so that it will be separated and firm enough to spoon the white part out easily whenever I want it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

xixstar is offline Junior Member
    Also just one small tip, make sure you're not picking up coconut cream which is sweetened. I wondered one time why my entire can was solid when that never happened before, turns out I had grabbed some coconut cream out of the pantry that I didn't even know we had. It was one sweet curry we had that night. Doesn't sound like that's what happened, just fair warning in the future if you end up with a completely solid can.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    In the winter my cans solidify, nothing to do with spoilage, I keep the house in the 60's. I just warm it up a bit in some water on the stove and shake before opening. Anything below 75f and at least some fat will separate out. The old gas stove w/ pilot was a good place to store it and the coconut butter to keep it soft. All electric now
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

gibson girl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Heh... I always keep a can of coconut milk tucked into the refrigerator just so that it will be separated and firm enough to spoon the white part out easily whenever I want it.
    Me too. I strain out the water into a glass and drink it, then put the cream into a covered glass dish. Good on berries!

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    It's a saturated fat. It becomes a solid below a certain temperature.

I put my coconut milk cans in the fridge for this purpose. I eat the solid part and throw away the water. Yummy...

greengirl is offline Junior Member
    Cause it's tasty tasty fat! Take it out of the cupboard and put it in a room temp place or a slightly warm place and it'll melt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12