Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any brands of coconut milk without guar gum? page 2

Monika is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Walmart(surprisingly) sells coconut milk that doesn't have any preservatives. Just coconut milk and water. I'm not sure if this is at all Walmarts across the country, but it's at all the Walmarts near where I live.
    Golden Star @ Walmart...it's wonderful and inexpensive

coconutman is offline Junior Member

Where to Buy BPA and Guar Gum Free Coconut Milk

Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    or would the amount in the brands I have access to, Thai Kitchen and A Taste of Thai, not even be worth worrying about?
    Buy Coconut Milk Free of BPA or Guar Gum Here

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My local Asian store carries lots of brands of coconut milk that contain no additives. I'll probably be switching over to making my own when I get some bulk coconut in the near future.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    just looked up that brand no guar gum but it has Potassium Metabisulphite which i can barely pronounce. What is that about.
    It is just a preservative that keeps organic matter from oxidizing (blackening). It is on a lot of pre-cut products in the supermarket like apples and potatoes, on a lot of dried fruit, in a lot of fruit juices. It is naturally occurring in grapes and thus wine, and it is often added to wine, and it is naturally in some water sources.

In the US it has to be disclosed because of people who have anaphylactic reactions to it, it used to be french fries and in some bottled water but after some law suits no one is willing to risk using it in those products any more. I have an anaphylactic reaction to it and have to read bottled water labels when I'm out of the USA. If it weren't for the fact that it would kill me, I wouldn't have any problem with eating it. But since it does I don't even eat grapes.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Metabisulphite sensitivity can sometimes be treated with Molybdenum supplementation you might want to look into that.
    FoodsMatter | Sulphates and Sulphites – the Good, the Moderately Bad and the Ugly

Just make your own coconut milk using coconut Manna product and cheesecloth over a jar. Then add a few drops of vanilla and you are golden.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Goya doesn't have any gums.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Guar gun ain't all that bad anyway:

Guar gum is a fiber from the seed of the guar plant.

Guar gum is used as a laxative. It is also used for treating diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), obesity, and diabetes; for reducing cholesterol; and for preventing “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis).

In foods and beverages, guar gum is used as a thickening, stabilizing, suspending, and binding agent.

In manufacturing, guar gum is used as a binding agent in tablets, and as a thickening agent in lotions and creams.

How does it work?

Guar gum is a fiber that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines.

There is some interest in using guar gum for weight loss because it expands in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    That's another thing worth mentioning, though. Does anyone here avoiding guar gum know why they're actually avoiding it?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That's another thing worth mentioning, though. Does anyone here avoiding guar gum know why they're actually avoiding it?
    I avoid xanthan gum because it upsets my digestive system. I avoid guar gum because I see it as an adulterant that makes it possible for a manufacturer to pass off a cheaper product for more profit.

Topher420 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    Golden Star @ Walmart...it's wonderful and inexpensive
    I have also found this at Kroger stores in Texas. I actually like it over Aroy-D and the Thai brands. Now if they only had it BPA free!?!

Update: Golden Star has been pushing into Walmarts across the country. Here is their facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/GoldenStarFoods

964145_10150298173964950_1446857487_o.jpg
    Last edited by Topher420; 01-16-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Update:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast