Thread: why do my legs twitch painfully? page

andygt02 is offline Junior Member

why do my legs twitch painfully?

Primal Fuel
    I like to run. Not anything excessive, but probably in the realm of 9-12 miles a week. I was never active growing up, and it's nice to be gaining abilities I never had as I keep at it (getting close to being able to complete a half marathon). I run barefoot so I've gone through stages of downtime coping with various overuse injuries, sometimes lasting a few months, but I always manage to heal and get beyond them.

About 3 months ago I took a break to deal with some minor tendonitis, and when I ran again a couple weeks later I had awful twitching in my left calf which subsided a couple miles into it. I thought nothing of it until I tried to run again and got sharp, painful twitching throughout both calves, which got intensely worse when I was resting.

I'm better now, but if I squat or cross my legs I feel the pain. If I run it comes back and I have to deal with my legs randomly twitching for a few days afterwards. The strangest part is if I push through it and complete a run, the pain goes away and stays away. But if I take a few days off, it returns with a vengeance. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Low electrolyte levels can cause cramping and twitching is some people. I think Knifegill has a pretty severe case of that, and has posted about it. He takes Magnesium, salt, and potassium all three, I think, to keep himself balanced out.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Low electrolyte levels can cause cramping and twitching is some people. I think Knifegill has a pretty severe case of that, and has posted about it. He takes Magnesium, salt, and potassium all three, I think, to keep himself balanced out.
    Do you have an idea of how much it would take to solve an issue like this? I drank a bottle of Gatorade as an experiment to see if the cramping would go away after a run and didn't notice any changes.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    yeah sounds like a magnesium deficiency

1. Gatorade is HFCS with water. Don't bother.
    2. Search for Knifegill's posts on cramping, as I haven't experienced much of this, and I'm not the best guy to answer your questions.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Topical magnesium brine, epsom salt baths, or natural calm magnesium are good. You may also need to add sea salt and potassium - I do.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

After reading knifegill's thread, cramping may not be the best way to describe what I'm feeling. My calves don't freeze up or become difficult to bend. It's more like a sharp pain that occurs with random twitching. When it's bad I can sit and watch my calf twitching uncontrollably dozens of times a minute. When it's not bad (say 2 days after a run) I can bring on the pain and occasional twitching by squatting or resting my calf directly on my knee. The worst part is it lingers and twitches all day if I do anything to upset it. I do feel it in both calves after a run, but it only seems to stay in my left calf. The right one goes back to normal pretty quickly.

I'm trying magnesium supplements now to see if there is any effect.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andygt02 View Post
    After reading knifegill's thread, cramping may not be the best way to describe what I'm feeling. My calves don't freeze up or become difficult to bend. It's more like a sharp pain that occurs with random twitching. When it's bad I can sit and watch my calf twitching uncontrollably dozens of times a minute. When it's not bad (say 2 days after a run) I can bring on the pain and occasional twitching by squatting or resting my calf directly on my knee. The worst part is it lingers and twitches all day if I do anything to upset it. I do feel it in both calves after a run, but it only seems to stay in my left calf. The right one goes back to normal pretty quickly.

I'm trying magnesium supplements now to see if there is any effect.
    That's still cramping. Sometimes when I've had bad cramps I can see the muscle popping under the skin. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is stretching. Do you stretch enough? Significant potassium supplements are prescription only but I've found that 1 cup of juiced celery (I certainly can't eat that much) has 2/3 of a gram of it. Calcium and magnesium are easy to supplement. Dehydration can also lead to cramps so be sure to be hydrated. Put a pinch of salt in your water bottle. Other causes might be anxiety and stress so do what you can about that. If all these are covered and the cramping persists, see a doctor because it may be a more serious issue.

Tercio

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually, now that I think about it, I was getting twitches a few months ago when I started StrongLifts, so I switched from paper coffee filters to a mesh coffee filter, and started drinking the sludgy bits at the bottom. Coffee has a lot of magnesium, especially if you filter it less, such as with french press or espresso.