Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm a Tex Mex Lover page

DonnaK is offline Junior Member

Help! I'm a Tex Mex Lover

Shop Now
    New to Primal - and I have a question.
    As a Texan, we eat all things Tex Mex -- which includes corn & flour tortillas, red beans, rice. Surely I'm not the only one. What are good substitutions for tortillas? Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the tortillas, red bans, and rice . Ain't you Texans the ones who invented the beanless chilli? I make tex mex all the time with beef and veggies (less rice and beans makes room for more delicious beef IMO)....just down it all with a fork.

Oh, and some corn tortillas once in a while are not as bad as the floured tortillas at least. Legumes, if done right, are also a grey area where you could throw em in once in a while.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
    New to Primal - and I have a question.
    As a Texan, we eat all things Tex Mex -- which includes corn & flour tortillas, red beans, rice. Surely I'm not the only one. What are good substitutions for tortillas? Thanks!
    What about lettuce leaves instead of tortillas? Or stuffing bell peppers with the meat/rice/whatever?
    Or just serving over salad greens instead of rice and tortillas?
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

I second the lettuce leaf tortilla substitute as well. I use Romaine lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.

Pork rinds or crispy bacon strips make mean tortilla chip substitutes as well.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I love tex mex too. I actually eat it. That is my solution to loving it...eating it.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I love tex mex too. I actually eat it. That is my solution to loving it...eating it.
    Guess that explains it~

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I am coming down from 320. I'm right about 300 right now. I am 5'8 and would probably be in top physical shape around 180 pounds. Getting the weight off is the most important thing now. Once I get down to a more manageable weight I can start to worry about keeping fit and doing good for my body, but as of right now priority number one is losing weight.
    Most of us here have found that skipping the beans and tortillas works wonders for weight loss ~ maybe you should give it a try?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Guess that explains it~

Most of us here have found that skipping the beans and tortillas works wonders for weight loss ~ maybe you should give it a try?
    I actually just kind of feel bad for him at this point.
    I think that his trolling is more of a form of 'misery loves company' than anything else.
    Sad.

Of course I could be wrong... but the second quote especially makes me think I'm not.
    The fail rate/regain rate of that method of weight loss for people with that much weight to lose is SO astronomically high...
    It seriously makes me feel bad for him.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I actually just kind of feel bad for him at this point.
    I think that his trolling is more of a form of 'misery loves company' than anything else.
    Sad.

Of course I could be wrong... but the second quote especially makes me think I'm not.
    The fail rate/regain rate of that method of weight loss for people with that much weight to lose is SO astronomically high...
    It seriously makes me feel bad for him.
    I've found this board to be very supportive~ all anyone has to do is ask. But when someone who doesn't even try to 'walk the walk' does so much talking about CW, well~

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
    What are good substitutions for tortillas? Thanks!
    A fork! I'm a mexican food lovin texan too. We eat guacamole with a fork, beef fajitas with a fork, the inside of tacos with a fork. It is awesome!! And you don't feel all stuffed and bloated from all the chips and tortillas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast