Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm a Tex Mex Lover page 2

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Mexican food is great. Helps me get offal in my diet. Nearby place has 4 tacos for $5. I get sesos (brain), buche (stomach), lengua (tongue), cover them with cilantro, onions, pico de gallo, some lime and pickled radishes. Then I eat all the toppings and toss all but 1 tortilla. Nixtamalized corn isn't too bad according to Mark. Primal fast food, can't beat it. I guess it's what's for lunch today, thanks.

Tercio

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I actually just kind of feel bad for him at this point.
    I think that his trolling is more of a form of 'misery loves company' than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I've found this board to be very supportive~ all anyone has to do is ask. But when someone who doesn't even try to 'walk the walk' does so much talking about CW, well~
    +1 to both.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
    New to Primal - and I have a question.
    As a Texan, we eat all things Tex Mex -- which includes corn & flour tortillas, red beans, rice. Surely I'm not the only one. What are good substitutions for tortillas? Thanks!
    U.S. (mis) usage! :-)

Linguistically, corn is a generic term for any cereal crop. Flour is a generic term for any ground corn -- or sometimes other ground foodstuffs, e.g., "mustard flour".

I think you're right to be wary of "Indian corn" (i.e. maize). It's seems to be far less problematic than gluten-containing cereal grains, and many peoples seem to have done fine on it -- so long as they nixtamalized it ... and had plenty of other (more nutritious) foodstuffs in the diet.

But here's an interesting thing i learnt just the other day listening to Ray Audette. He seems a bit eccentric and probably not the best source of information, but what he said was that maize can be infected with a form of rust; that rust seems to be linked to several cancers; that those particular cancers are rampant in Mexico; and, finally, that the same cancers have been increasing the U.S. ever since Mexican food became popular there.

Excuse the pun -- food for thought.

It seems plausible. If this is the fungus he means, it seems it's even been consumed as a delicay:

Corn Fungus | Cancer The Silent Disease!

Anyway, I'd guess a tortilla now and then would be unlikely to hurt anyone, but given that these cancers are said to be endemic in Mexico, I'd want more reassurance on the supposed link between these cancers and the rust Audette refers to, and on the prevelance of the rust before eating them on a regular basis.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I'm Canadian, and I don't live on maple syrup, Timbits and poutine.

What can go IN a tortilla or between two pieces of bread, can go on top of a salad.

Or maybe its time to expand your palate. I love tex mex, and asian and italian and indian food. And more. You name it. There is too much good food available to be limited by geography. When I think of Texas I think of a big steak. Or BBQ. Not beans & rice.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Grew up on Tex Mex. Mex Mex is more better.

Today was country style ribs off the smoker.
    Tomorrow I'm thinkin' a Chile Relleno will hit the spot.

Gingerhawk is offline Junior Member
    I'm also in Texas and it's hard to go out socially around here without eating Tex-mex. One homemade solution: Cook chicken breast in a slow cooker with salsa and any taco-ish seasonings. Pull it apart with a fork when it's done. Keep that in your fridge and add to:
    Omelettes (with salsa and veggies)
    Paleo burrito -- lettuce wrap (as others suggested) with chicken,salsa, and veggies inside. Or inside hatch peppers when they're in season!
    On a salad
    And if you eat cheese -- get the queso fresca. Make a layered dish of the chicken, veggies, and cheese. You can add enchilada sauce to the top. Heat and enjoy.
    I'd love to have other ideas, too!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Guess that explains it~

Most of us here have found that skipping the beans and tortillas works wonders for weight loss ~ maybe you should give it a try?
    You found that skipping beans and tortillas work wonders for weight loss? Really? Well I have been eating burritos almost every night while dropping about 20 pounds in a month...without exercise. You just need to find low calorie wraps, which isn't too hard. I found reasonably big wraps that are 70 calories each. I eat two of those with some taco seasoned chicken, rice, and some utz cheese balls.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    You found that skipping beans and tortillas work wonders for weight loss? Really? Well I have been eating burritos almost every night while dropping about 20 pounds in a month...without exercise. You just need to find low calorie wraps, which isn't too hard. I found reasonably big wraps that are 70 calories each. I eat two of those with some taco seasoned chicken, rice, and some utz cheese balls.
    Yo if your dropping 20lbs a month .....then seriously keep ROCKIN!....If you were over 500lbs when starting I can understand some of your commentary. For the most part though ....once you get to under 250lbs go Primal.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Wow~ you're really going to promote SAD/CW here while you weigh 300 pounds? What is wrong with this picture?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow~ you're really going to promote SAD/CW here while you weigh 300 pounds? What is wrong with this picture?
    I got fat eating huge amounts of garbage food...I'm losing weight eating grains and controlling my calories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast