Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm embarrassed by how much I eat compared to my boyfriend page 3

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, plus another for the "screw dainty" sentiment. I have my moments when I wish, but most of the time I'm of the opinion that if you are intimidated by me/can't keep up with me, that's your problem, not mine

However, I did have a date at a steak resturant that happened to be my first meal that day. I was eyeing the 16-24 oz steaks but since I wasn't paying I figured I probably shouldn't out-eat my date . . . I settled for polishing off my 14 oz steak and my whole sweet potato while he left half of his food behind
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    This times a million. Dainty needs to be rescued. Dainty needs to be taken care of. Dainty is a neolithic concept that keeps women worrying about stupid shit. Next time boyfriend says anything raise your fork and yell, "Food! Fuck yeah!" Even better, emphasized by grabbing your crotch and belching.
    I <3 BCB.

Dainty is a concept that kept Chinese ladies with their feet bound and Victorian ladies in wasp waisted whale bone corsets. You wouldn't get very far along the PCT in a corset and foot bindings. Dainty squeals helplessly at the sight of a bear instead of taking a picture of it as you did.

Dainty is also a concept that keeps many teen aged girls with their heads in the toilet after meals.

You look awesome. Screw dainty.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    i don't have time for people that get 'embarrassed'
    but you have time to make that comment, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    He's actually made some comments a couple times. I tried to explain to him that because I don't have a big base of rice or pasta under my food I have to eat more meat and vegetables.

He asked me how come I don't eat rice (maybe he was reading up on "safe starches" or something). I told him I usually take a little bit, but I don't do the huge heaping piles of rice anymore because it just gives me a stuffed feeling. Whereas when I have a huge heaping pile of real food without rice or on top of lettuce or cauliflower, I might feel full but I don't feel stuffed. I also told him I like the weight loss I got eating this way and I don't want to blow it.

I guess it's okay to stuff yourself with filler but not with actual food. I feel embarrassed because the food and the quantity that I eat is not dainty. There's nothing about me that's dainty.
    one way to look at it is that if the majority of the volume of your food s veg, you're probably eating lower cal than he is, if that helps at all.

another way to look at is if that if he wants you to be some dainty little lass, maybe it's time for you to find a real man.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I feel embarrassed because the food and the quantity that I eat is not dainty. There's nothing about me that's dainty.
    sbhikes - DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE

I want my daughters to be healthy, and fit, and people of good character, courage, action and learning. There was no room for "dainty" back in the Paleolithic. I do not advocate that women need become uncivilized or try to be men just for the sake of being seen as strong women, but this "women need to be dainty" thing is a relic of the kind of thinking that we need to throw off. We need better models of thinking.

My MIL has always characterized herself as "delicate", as in whatever she doesn't want to do that is physical, out comes the "Grandma is just too delicate" phrase. My mom literally gets in the MUD with my girls - grandma bemoans the fact that the mud stains won't wash from their Carhartts.

I always interrupt each and every attempt by Grandma that I hear directed at my girls and their eating habits. I have told my daughters this from day one: AS LONG AS IT IS GOOD (REAL) FOOD, EAT UNTIL YOU ARE FULL. Sometimes that is a chicken leg quarter, and sometimes that is a huge steak each - plus veggies. MIL and FIL sometimes try to influence us (hubby and I) but we graciously ignore it.

You are healthy and fit and active. That takes FOOD. I am so sorry that it is specifically your boyfriend making these remarks. My hubby is a serious eater himself, so I get no gruff. His only care is if there is enough on the table to make the 6 of us gloriously happy - especially him.

If he keeps this up, I would flat-out ask him what his problem is. This is a stupid, nit-picky thing my husband would never think to say.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm going let a big huge belch rip next time.

And to those who thought I meant that I eat more vegetables or less dense food, no way. I could easily eat a pound of steak or salmon in a sitting. I feel the deepest sadness to receive a deck of cards-sized piece of meat.

I cook shit for myself like huge slabs of quivering liver for breakfast. I'll be slurping liver juice off my plate while he's eating greek yogurt (I have to add here that whenever I read some girl on this forum saying she eats greek yogurt for breakfast and can't lose weight I want to strangle her.)

Recently I brought home oxtails and pork belly. One of these days I may bring home a big huge kidney. I've filled the house with the smell of heart turning into jerky a couple of times. I've been considering changing from the small cans of salmon (with the 3.5 servings-ha, they've got to be kidding) to the big ones, if my appetite keeps up.

In other words, when it comes to real food, especially dense food and even slightly scary food, I can really put it away.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Good for you, if you feel good eating this way then anyone else's problem is just that: their problem.

I have some female friends who I can barely stand to eat with. They always look so pained. We visit the dining hall and every time they just walk over to the salad bar, dejected. They don't even check the other foods. For the record, I visit the salad bar too, but only after I've got something on my plate that had parents.

I eat way more than all my guy friends too. Most are the same size as me. All my friends are cool with my eating habits and it's sort of a running joke among my closest buds. I think it would be different if I were a girl and thank god I'm not.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I cook shit for myself like huge slabs of quivering liver for breakfast. I'll be slurping liver juice off my plate while he's eating greek yogurt (I have to add here that whenever I read some girl on this forum saying she eats greek yogurt for breakfast and can't lose weight I want to strangle her.)

In other words, when it comes to real food, especially dense food and even slightly scary food, I can really put it away.
    I think we were separated at birth... liver dinner for breakfast - YUM!

My girls love it when they wake up to two roast chickens with all the veggie sides and baked potato for breakfast! Hubby doesn't complain either... and those are the days that run really well for us...

The Delicate Grandma has a low-fat Yoplait custard-style something or other and a piece of toast / toasted bagel.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    sbhikes - DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE

I want my daughters to be healthy, and fit, and people of good character, courage, action and learning. There was no room for "dainty" back in the Paleolithic. I do not advocate that women need become uncivilized or try to be men just for the sake of being seen as strong women, but this "women need to be dainty" thing is a relic of the kind of thinking that we need to throw off. We need better models of thinking.
    See the shirt in my avatar? My 12yo daughter took it from hubby and wears it proudly. She's a card-carrying, fist-pumping meatatarian, who's eyes glaze over at the mention of ribs or chicken she can gnaw off the bone. As tall and 'willowy' as she is, she'll never be mistaken for dainty. (lazy yes, dainty no) A year of outdoor school has made her stronger, fitter and more courageous than ever. You can't be dainty building shelters and doing salmon counts in a temperate rainforest.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    You'll probably not like this comment sbhikes, that said, you're boyfriend is a doush for making comments about the quantity of food you're eating.

At your age (we're the same age btw) you've got to learn to be comfortable in your own skin and let go of social conditioning and all that bullshit. Take your cue from Popeye; "I am yam what yam and that's all that I yam." Anyone got a problem with that? And if they do, fug 'em.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    My girls love it when they wake up to two roast chickens with all the veggie sides and baked potato for breakfast! Hubby doesn't complain either... and those are the days that run really well for us...
    I think I need to start doing this. I could toss a bird in the crockpot before bed...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast