Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm embarrassed by how much I eat compared to my boyfriend page 2

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know the feeling- my MIL counts every bite I take and then tells the family about it later- the funny way, haha.

When I was very thin and pretty (yep, back then) I got plenty of compliments, but I got even more shit- like everybody was trying to find something to bring me down from what they assumed was my high horse. Read that article in Glamour on prejudices on thin people? That's all true and then some. So maybe your bf has an issue with the weight you lost and feels left behind or something.

But honestly, I think men typically aren't that complex (present company excluded)- they happily talk about how much we eat without meaning anything else but that we eat a lot. The rest we come up with ourselves. Your choices are to tell him that bothers you because it plays into your body image issues, or to give him high five and have another drumstick.

Anyways, hugs to you, sister. Now get over it, you bloody well don't have to be dainty (sheesh) and you look good in your avatar.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I know the feeling- my MIL counts every bite I take and then tells the family about it later- the funny way, haha.
    (Hugs)

I wish I was my husband. When MIL noted in her usual way: You eat skin (we had a roasted chicken), he looked straight at her and said: Yeah, I am eating Primal, losing weight on it. (I wanted to hug him!)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    No I'm not embarrassed. Because its not a competition. Hubby and I are the same height, and probably close to the same weight. But I'm an above average size woman, and he's a below average size man. Our meals are probably on par, but he snacks on crap and I don't. On occasion our 9 or 12 year old will eat both of us under the table. As long as we're talking chicken thighs and not pizza slices, what's the big deal.

You look better than ever, and he's criticising your food choices? Bastard.

Gawd, I used to hate it when I would lunch with a certain coworker. She would wait to order last to make sure she ordered something smaller than eveyrone else, or order the same thing but be sure to eat less than you. Why do women have to turn a meal into a pissing contest?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm not in the exact same position but I feel you. When my dad didn't see me eating breakfast he thinks i'm starving myself. And when I eat 2 lbs of meat he says I'm eating too much meat and says how much he finds meat gross. Sometimes I think "can't you die already from your vegetable oil fried fake meats?" ok he's my dad I love him actually.
    But seriously

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Well, I totaled in at 6400 calories yesterday; my wife doesn't eat as much as I do. Different people eat different amounts of food. If you were 450 pounds and suckin' down 12 footlong meatball subs for lunch, yes, I would be embarrassed. Eating a bunch of meat and veggies? That's pretty sexy actually. A chick that can take down a big steak is cool in my book.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    And I'm embarrassed that I need so much compared him, and embarrassed because he notices. Is anyone else in the same position?
    Psh, you look awesome. Like you said, he's filling up on...well, fillers! Of course you would need more 'real food' if that's the case. Nothing to be embarrassed about there

We're conditioned to have this need to feel dainty, light as a feather, etc. It can be overwhelming at times.
    I just keep in mind that if I'm going to work hard, play hard, have a personality, etc. then I need to eat real food. And enough of it!
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Paleobird Guest
    Screw "dainty". Any dainty Grokelles would have been weeded out of the gene pool pretty quickly.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Screw "dainty". Any dainty Grokelles would have been weeded out of the gene pool pretty quickly.
    This times a million. Dainty needs to be rescued. Dainty needs to be taken care of. Dainty is a neolithic concept that keeps women worrying about stupid shit. Next time boyfriend says anything raise your fork and yell, "Food! Fuck yeah!" Even better, emphasized by grabbing your crotch and belching.

I sometimes wish I could eat a bit more, but since giving up grains I have a much smaller appetite. Previously I'd have grains with most meals then be ravenous an hour or two later. These days I eat smaller portions and am satisfied by it for much longer.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Sometimes I think he is annoyed or astonished by the quantity of food I eat. And I'm embarrassed that I need so much compared him, and embarrassed because he notices. Is anyone else in the same position?
    He probably isn't. My wife eats *nearly* as much for breakfast as I do, but her body mass is 60% of mine. If you are of a similar size to your boyfriend, I think that it's normal that you eat a similar amount.

Of course, like you say, because you are eating less energy dense food, you are eating a higher volume of food for the same number of calories.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'2" tall and weigh 105. My hubby is 5'10" tall and weighs 180 (and around 15 of that is belly).

At any meal we eat together, I eat as much as he does (whenever we eat together, it's Primal--we eat dinner together almost every night). But he's addicted to carbs and has to have his chips, popcorn, bagels, cereal, candy, ice cream... I don't nag him, but he knows the dangers of that stuff.

I just make sure he has really good life insurance. (Only partly kidding...)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast