Thread: Hi Everyone! page

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone...

I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks. Thought it was about time to introduce myself. I am a 39 year old elementary school RN near Houston, Texas. I have a 2 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I am 4 feet 9 inches and I weigh 175 pounds.

I have been doing primal for 3 weeks (3 weeks tomorrow). However I have not had a steady weight loss. I lost 3 pounds the first 6 days...then nothing for 6 days...then 1.5 pounds in 3 days of very low carbs. Then I ate primal with sweet potatoes and carrots and green veggies, not paying attention to carbs, but did have raw milk and too much 85% dark chocholate. I did not eat grains (that I know of) until Tuesday when I ate the gluten free pepper steak and egg drop soup at PF Chang's along with some white rice. (I had some shooting pains in my abdomen for a day or so after that...I used to have those all the time but attributed them to c/section adhesions, scar tissue etc...apparently it is either the rice or the corn starch from the gluten free chinese food). This morning I weighed myself and I am actually 1 pound MORE than where I started 3 weeks ago.

I did read that someone here had gone 5 weeks primal before losing any weight at all...so I am not giving up. I really believe that this is the way to eat even if I dont drop a pound. But I am very frustrated. I read so many examples of the weight "just falling off." I would have thought that 3 weeks of no wheat and no processed foods would elicit more of a weight loss.

Looking for advice and encouragement.

Thanks so much!
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest you follow a plan for awhile and just stick to it rather than chopping and changing. Then you can get an idea of whether it'll work for you or not.

I think the Robb Wolf approach of "give it 30 days" might be helpful. And that reminds me that there's a whole site devoted to the 30-day idea:

The Whole30 Program | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Periwinkle.
    You don't mention if the weight loss is your primary goal.
    I'm overweight, and would like to lose weight, but the reason I will keep plugging away at primal, is how good I feel when I am doing it. Those scary chest and stomach pains: gone! Mental fog and anxiety:gone! Lots of energy: here!
    These things keep me going even when my weight loss stalls.
    And keep me coming back when I slip, and eat things I shouldn't.
    Your reaction after the P.F.Chang's incident, leads me to believe that you are feeling better. Focus on that as much as you can. Sometimes we don't realize how bad we feel, until we start feeling good.

Thanks for the link Lewis! The two items holding me back are raw milk (yum!) and the 85% dark chocolate. It has been a huge change in the last 3 weeks eliminating Starbucks triple grande mochas and rice...I'll have to psych myself up to take it all the way and go without milk and chocolate. I am really happy that I gave up caffeine...first time since 1996 that I wasnt fueled by caffeine. Just not there mentally to go into a full Whole 30. I am an emotional eater (otherwise known as a food addict). Im in the process of getting divorced and moving the kids and myself into an apartment...giving up dark chocolate at this time might be asking too much... Dark chocolate is my mood stabilizer and antidepressant. Not good, I know. But one thing at a time. However, the Whole 30 looks like something I will try when things settle down. I think until then, I need to be content with eating meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, milk, EVOO and coconut oil (and bacon of course. I have considered dipping the bacon IN chocolate...). I described my way of eating to a friend as: If God didnt make it, I am not eating it.

Sabine: 3 weeks ago, I did think better health was my main goal...but after 3 weeks and not much weight loss to show for it...I realized that weight loss is probably equal to better health for me. I DO feel better. I was very suprised to discover that either the corn starch or the rice caused the little shooting pains in my abdomen. I am happy that I feel better. But I also feel fat and I hate looking at my stomach. and my knees and ankles hurt when I walk...I did give up nightshades though to see if my back pain and joint pain got better...it hasnt much actually...but I am carrying 60 pounds of extra weight around on. The PF Chang's was a pre-determined deviation from the plan as opposed to a slip up. I really thought wheat was my main problem...not the rice or the corn starch...who knew? I am a bit sad that rice will now be an even less common item in my diet that I had planned.

I am not losing my motivation...just wanting to make sure I am "doing it right" so to speak. Thanks guys! And you never know...maybe someone out there ate primal for 3 weeks and didnt lose any weight and then woke up on the first day of week 4 and had lost 20 pounds...it could happen...
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 07-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    Thanks for the link Lewis! The two items holding me back are raw milk (yum!) and the 85% dark chocolate.
    Oh, well, not so bad.

I am really happy that I gave up caffeine...first time since 1996 that I wasnt fueled by caffeine. Just not there mentally to go into a full Whole 30. I am an emotional eater (otherwise known as a food addict). ... Dark chocolate is my mood stabilizer and antidepressant. Not good, I know.
    That's interesting. If you feel the coffee and chocolate are a genuine addiction you may be right. I like both, but I can take them or leave them: it wouldn't worry me if I couldn't get them, and I don't seem to get a rush off them or anything. The other day I threw half a cup of coffee away, because I'd drunk enough of it and wasn't particularly enjoying it, and couldn't be bothered to finish it. (But I suspect I've "used" coffee in the past.)

If it really is an addiction, then it'll be because you're actually low in one or more neurotransmitter (the chemical messengers in the brain) -- serotonin, dopamine, the catecholamines. Julia Ross is very interesting on this:

The Diet Cure 2012 with Julia Ross 06/22 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio

Amazon.com: The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Gain, and Mood Swings--Naturally (9780143120858): Julia Ross: Books

What they do at her clinic to correct it is find out which neurotransmitters someone is low in and supply precursors to these. The craving should then go away. In the long term, a better diet will correct it, because you need enough protein to make them, and not getting that seems to be people's problem. What Julia Ross says is that if someone is, say, having cornflakes and orange juice for breakfast, or skipping the meal altogether, instead of having two or three eggs, they're not getting the protein they need for their brain. And, of course, this is what many of us do nowadays.

I'd guess that eating primal/paleo could make food addictions go away given enough time. If they continue to be a problem, then maybe the strategies goven in the Diet Cure would be worth trying.

My body was without a doubt physically dependent on caffiene. It took a week of drinking black tea and much Advil to get over the very sick headaches of giving up Starbucks triple shot mochas. I had a shot of expresso on Monday and Tuesday of this week, but no expresso since. I plan to drink tea in restaurants when I eat out, but I do not plan to drink 3 shots of expresso daily anymore. I have always had a strong desire to eat, especially eat out in restaurants, any time I am sad. Or happy. Or lonely. Or bored. Hungry or not. Which makes me think I am a food addict. I also love just going to Starbucks and hanging out reading or on my lap top...Now when I go, I just get a bottle of expensive water and figure that I paid for my spot. :P

Breakfast this past year WAS a Starbucks tripe grande mocha with mocha drizzle. I never much liked to eat breakfast...only kind of like oatmeal, dont like cereal much, hate OJ. Now breakfast is 3 or 4 pieces of uncured organic bacon and 2 eggs (pastured from a local farm when the girls are laying...). Or I make my own sausage from ground pork and have it with 2 eggs. I am a school RN now, but before that I worked the 7p-7a shift on a postpartum floor for 3 years and that seriously messed up my body and my eating habits.

I will definitely look at Julia Ross's book. I wouldnt be suprised if it applies to me. My mom has always battled depression and I have too, off and on. I was on Lexapro b/c of anxiety and depression pertaining to my marriage and got of it back in October. I feel like I was in a foggy dream during the 18 months I was on it and I think sometimes my poor brain still hasnt totally recovered. I figure (or make excuses or rationalize to myself) that 2 oz of 85% dark chocolate a day is way better than Lexapro.

Maybe I am just so malnourished my poor body doesnt know what to do with all of this real food. :P I hope once the kids and I are settled into our new home, some of the stress will diminish. (You know...b/c being a 40 year old divorced single working mom isnt stressful at all. )
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others...give it more time. Also, you may be dealing with a lot of inflammation due to the chronic stress you're experiencing right now.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thought about the stress factor too. I have been under chronic stress for years now. And the closer we get to our official seperation, the more stressed I get.

Thanks!
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles