Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's light coconut milk page 3

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Are there Asian supermarkets near you? The one near me (in NY) sells coconut milk in a few varieties for ~1-2$ per can. I buy Aroy-D there for $1.59. The local chain grocery stores sell a few brands - none less than $3 a can.
    Yes, there are, but they sell Aroy-D for $1.99/can, so I'd prefer to buy even Whole Food's 365 for $1.49/can. Plus I feel the Asian brands may have questionable canning practices, unless someone would like to share anything about BPA in Aroy-D cans!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    As an alternative to BPA lined cans, check into coconut creme. Canned coconut milk is lower in fat, ie diluted w/ more water, than coconut creme, which is cleaner & more fatty. I used to buy frozen coconut creme imported from Indonesia from a tiny Asian store in Calif. It came in plastic but was preservative free, or so it said. There are dry coconut creme mixes in boxes that you can buy off the shelf, look for them or ask in Asian supermarkets or seek/order them online in bulk.

I've been consuming canned coconut milk for years, well more than a decade. I stopped drinking out of plastic bottles more than a decade ago, but I wonder how much BPA I have in me from all those cans of coconut milk, tomato sauce & tuna. It's acidic & fatty foods that leach the BPA from the can's lining.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would rather have nothing than drink that wretched Trader Joe's coconut milk.

Have you tried the frozen Hawaiian Sun brand at Marukai market in Cupertino? It's in a little freezer in the produce section. It is so amazing that nothing else can even remotely compare.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I would only buy organic coconut milk as coconuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and should be included in the dirty dozen.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the Whole Foods 365 CM is my fave. I happen to have a can of both TJ light and that WF 365 stuff in my pantry. Get this: the TJ Light has 4g fat, the 365 from WF has 12g fat. That's the problem with the light stuff! 2/3 of the goodies are gone! Ingredients: TJ: coconut milk and water; WF 365: organic coconut milk and guar gum (thickener--see nutrition notes at Guar gum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/10/best-coconut-milk-options.html

Let’s Do….Organic’s Organic Creamed Coconut
    . This comes in a solid block, which you mix with hot water. It’s a fairly frugal choice and works very well for savory dishes. I don’t find the texture as smooth, however, as canned coconut milk. But it’s an excellent option that is dairy free (the only ingredient is organic coconut). If you can find it at a local store, it will probably be cheaper, but they do sell it here. I should also mention, for those trying to avoid plastic, this is also wrapped in plastic. But once again, it’s not liquid, so it shouldn’t be as much of a problem.
    • You can also make your own, but I would recommend that you buy a coconut grater to help you with that task.

• Other readers mentioned buying frozen coconut milk at local Asian stores. This, I am assuming is not an organic choice, but it is supposed to be very cheap. Once again, plastic covered, I am sure (we can’t get away from it in this market!).

Last edited by Betorq; 07-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Have you tried the frozen Hawaiian Sun brand at Marukai market in Cupertino? It's in a little freezer in the produce section. It is so amazing that nothing else can even remotely compare.
    Yeah, the only thing that is off-putting is that it's so expensive =x I'd like to support my local brand, but it's too much of a squeeze on my wallet if I consume it as much as I want.

Betorq: at my local Asian grocers, I only can find frozen coconut with sodium metabisulfite or some other weird stuff mixed in. If I could find something, I would!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Yeah, the only thing that is off-putting is that it's so expensive =x I'd like to support my local brand, but it's too much of a squeeze on my wallet if I consume it as much as I want.

Betorq: at my local Asian grocers, I only can find frozen coconut with sodium metabisulfite or some other weird stuff mixed in. If I could find something, I would!
    No doubt - that stuff is crazy expensive. But it has twice as much fat and calories as even full fat coconut milk - so I think you are paying more because there is less water. The hard part is convincing yourself to only consume half as much
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I would only buy organic coconut milk as coconuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and should be included in the dirty dozen.
    Your source, please? My sister lives in Fiji and travels all over the Pacific in her job (Samoa, Philippines, etc) and has never seen coconuts being sprayed. (She loves coconuts, so she would notice.)
    This is an old article, but it debunks the rumor about Thai coconuts being dipped in formaldehyde:
    The Formaldehyde Young Coconut Scare... Truth or Rumor???? - Give it to me Raw

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Your source, please? My sister lives in Fiji and travels all over the Pacific in her job (Samoa, Philippines, etc) and has never seen coconuts being sprayed. (She loves coconuts, so she would notice.)
    This is an old article, but it debunks the rumor about Thai coconuts being dipped in formaldehyde:
    The Formaldehyde Young Coconut Scare... Truth or Rumor???? - Give it to me Raw
    Interesting... I was told they were sprayed by my local co-op.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast