Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's light coconut milk page 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I detest low-fat coconut milk, TJ's included. If I want to water it down whilst using it, I'll do that myself. I buy 6 cans a week, either Aroy-D (which = 'very tasty' in Thai) or Chaokoh ("it's a favorite brand among Thais"), sometimes some other brand, whichever is on sale that week. I shop @ a couple of ginormous Asian supermarkets not far from our apt. I used to buy Whole Foods 365 whole fat org coconut milk (in the Asian section with other Thai foods) by the case @ 10% off, but got out of the habit whilst trimming my budget last year.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Ethnic aisle. I like their 365 organic canned milk.
    You're awesome! Thanks!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I used it to make a non-dairy primal creamer, blended a can of it with an egg and about 1/2C melted coconut oil couple of drops of stevia for taste=YUM. Put it in the fridge and it thickens up to a tight whipped cream consistency, very nice on berries. Thinking it is a personal taste thing?
    And this dissolves into coffee nicely and doesn't get funky?

I am SO trying this.

Just got back from Whole Foods to get my 6 cans of coconut milk.

I looked at the Thai Kitchen stuff, which is what I usually get, but it's 2.59 a can, so
    I looked at the Whole Foods 365 brand which has two grams LESS of fat (which
    I don't care about, I'm just saying), but the same ingredients:

organic coconut milk
    purified water
    guar gum

I do like the Thai Kitchen better because of the extra fat in it - but mama
    dun say hells no to the extra $1.10 for two grams of extra fat.

I'm gonna whip up some of that stuff Miss Demuralist makes and see what's what.

Julie

p.s. just wanted to add that I think the Trader Joes lite stuff tastes disgusting
    as well. I hope they get the full fat stuff in SOON.
    Last edited by InSearchOfAbs; 07-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Savoy Coconut Cream is really good.
    Savoy Coconut Cream: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    The Chaokoh is good, too. I was disappointed by the Aroy-D. I thought the TJ's light was good as a smoothie base with frozen fruit. A little less thick than full-fat stuff.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Sometime within the next couple of months Trader Joe's will be selling a full-fat coconut milk. Keeping my fingers crossed about lack of other ingredients, BPA free cans, etc.
    TJ's here in Northern CA has had full fat Coconut Milk for several months. No Guar gum and rather tasty. Made with filtered water and coconut cream. It's packaged with the other aeseptic nut milks, not in the canned food section of the store.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The local Wally World sells Golden Star from Thailand, not only the cheapest, but also the best tasting/thickest I've found in a can. I can't say about the BPA but the only listed ingredients are coconut milk and water.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to share that I found Chao Thai coconut cream powder at my local Asian market. I noticed after I bought it that it has some extra glucose added, but the macros when reconstituted look to be about the same as regular canned coconut milk. Now I can make it as thick and rich as I want!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Sometime within the next couple of months Trader Joe's will be selling a full-fat coconut milk. Keeping my fingers crossed about lack of other ingredients, BPA free cans, etc.
    I heard it will be out in a few weeks. I just checked on Tuesday and they only had light crap, but the ONLY ingredient was coconut and water. I just bought this to hold me over:

The only ingredients are "organic coconut milk, organic guar gum." It's the best I could find. It was marked down from $3.19/can to $1.19/can at Superfresh so I bought the whole damn shelf.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    TJ's here in Northern CA has had full fat Coconut Milk for several months. No Guar gum and rather tasty. Made with filtered water and coconut cream. It's packaged with the other aeseptic nut milks, not in the canned food section of the store.
    REALLY? Are there any fillers? I'm checking that out next time I'm there!

A quick search online says they do:

filtered water, coconut cream, tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, gellan gum, sea salt, natural flavors, vitamin A palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin D12), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12)

Mehhhhh I'll wait until their canned version comes out
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 07-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are there Asian supermarkets near you? The one near me (in NY) sells coconut milk in a few varieties for ~1-2$ per can. I buy Aroy-D there for $1.59. The local chain grocery stores sell a few brands - none less than $3 a can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast