Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So sleepy after breakfast. page

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member

So sleepy after breakfast.

Primal Fuel
    Posting in the Nutrition forum because I think this might have something to do with what I eat for breakfast.

It's been about a half hour since I ate breakfast. I am so sleepy I could lay my head down and doze off. This happens almost every day. The feeling usually passes in an hour or two but during that time I'm not very productive.

I ate 2 eggs, a beef patty, 1/2 an avocado and a cup of coffee (not decaffeinated). I try to go heavy on protein and fat since, sometimes, I don't get lunch until 1 or 2 p.m. This works really well to the extent, often, I don't want to eat until dinner.

Any thoughts or possible changes in what I eat? Thanks.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    how do you feel if you don't eat breakfast?

Actually, not eating breakfast is what I want to do. Being the "well brought up child I was", I eat. However, this is an idea I've never examined. I'm gong to give it a good look. My concerns are not having enough energy to last until lunch and . . . actually not eating enough to keep losing weight. I've lost 94 lbs and could still lose 25 more, I'm 5' 4" and weigh 150 right now. I started eating primally to lose the weight so I could walk. Broke a thigh bone that didn't want to mend about 2 years ago. This, plus cranky knees put me in a wheelchair. At 244, if I were my knees, I'd be cranky too. I'm walking now with a cane and hope to discard that very soon. I'm cane-challenged and keep tripping over it. As for my appetite, I'm NEVER hungry, and just eat to get nutrients and stuff I need into me. I feel truly blessed that I haven't suffered any type of carb withdrawal except having the taste of "sucking on pennies - metalic" in my mouth for a few weeks.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well I can give my own experience here. If I eat breakfast (no matter if its all Primal or not) I have less energy in the mornings and actually am hungrier by the time lunch hits than when I skip it. For me coffee with a couple tablespoons of cream really just does the trick. I always have plenty of energy and am wide awake and grooving along until lunch hits a bout 5 hours later.

Having both of you suggest skipping breakfast is worthy of a try. I'll do it and let you know. Lunch and dinner will have to do for "nutrient gathering". I have noticed, having forced breakfast, even after 4 or 5 hours, it's still an effort to eat. I should add that I feel well otherwise, and sleep well too . . . except for foot and leg cramps. Tried Magnesium, Potassium, stretching before bed and a bar of soap between the sheets. At a loss.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    for the foot and leg cramps my mom does a warm bath with aromatics (usually lavender). I would try skipping breakfast as well. I do a cup of coffee with HWC as well, and often also a glass of green tea (iced in the summer).
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Posting in the Nutrition forum because I think this might have something to do with what I eat for breakfast.

It's been about a half hour since I ate breakfast. I am so sleepy I could lay my head down and doze off. This happens almost every day. The feeling usually passes in an hour or two but during that time I'm not very productive.

I ate 2 eggs, a beef patty, 1/2 an avocado and a cup of coffee (not decaffeinated). I try to go heavy on protein and fat since, sometimes, I don't get lunch until 1 or 2 p.m. This works really well to the extent, often, I don't want to eat until dinner.

Any thoughts or possible changes in what I eat? Thanks.
    Just a thought:
    My husband was experiencing the same thing...then we found out he was allergic to eggs!
    As the sleepiness is his only reaction and he really loves eggs, we still eat them, but only for late dinners now.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I just ate half avocado (80 g) and a can of tuna for lunch and feel the same, plus heavy stomach. I was hungry and alert before eating it (5 hrs from breakfast). Avocado is the common denominator. But, I also had less sleep than usual in the past 3 days (visitors in the house). I should go run sprints in 15 min and I feel like napping at a sunny lawn instead???

Is that combination of carb and fat in avocado? I normally don't eat them, but had another half yesterday for post-workout.

Did you try B12 for cramps? IT is another common deficiency for that.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

B12 is one of the few things I haven't tried for leg cramps. What is a good dose?
    I eat the avocado for the fat and fiber. No bowel problems just always felt they were healthy. I do still get the same sleepy reaction when I don't eat avocados. I've also found they are a quick, convenient food when there isn't much around to eat.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you actually feeling hungry for breakfast, or eating out of habit? if i am hungry i eat soon after waking, if i'm not, i just don't. sounds like you've been at this awhile and should be able to pay attention to your true hunger signals.

if you're simply piling food on top of a full-up energy well it may be spiking your insulin.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast