Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exsqusite wallflower strikes back page

xixstar is offline Junior Member

exquisite wallflower strikes back

Ever reach that point where doing something better just makes sense? No big bold "I'm going to change" statements, no massive disgust and throwing up your hands, simply a quiet little choice made one night that better is where you're headed. Well, that is this go round - no fireworks of motivation or temptation, just going plod one foot in front of the other, be kind and gentle when the steps falter and keep on walking forward.

I am a thirty-something gal. I have a wonderful partner and three children. We live on the East coast in a semi-rural and semi-suburban area (some might say we're in the Washington, DC suburbs but I feel like it's still a hike to get there). We have an 140-year-old house and large garden and more tasks than hours in the day.

For food, I'm just going with the basics of avoiding grains and sugar. In the past all-or-nothing was the only way I could do things but this time, I'm just starting right back in where I am at and each day the choices can just get better.

For fitness, I'm making progress at the gym by lifting heavy things and moving slowly. I don't feel ready for free weights just yet and I'm okay with that because I know I'll get there. I also have some thoughts that a Krav Maga class with the partner would be fun, but we'll see.

Overall, I have 50-70 pounds to lose and a lot of strength to gain. I weighed in at the gym when I joined in June 2012 and the scale was at 234. I'm 5'9 and always told myself I was just thicker, but well, 234 is well beyond thicker. I also saw some photo/video of myself recently where it was shocking because I honestly don't feel that is what I look like. So time to do something about it.

I am also using these changes to improve my mental stability along with the use of supplements (amino acids) too. I've dealt with bipolar for a long long time and pre having young children, I was able to manage it with consistent meals/exercise/sleep. Since the arrival of my two youngest (ages 2 and 3), all that went out the window and it's been a struggle. I'm getting back on top of things so that life is more enjoyable for everyone in my house.

Journal will just be my check in point along the path and motivation to keep walking.
    Last edited by xixstar; 07-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.

July 5th

I took advantage of waking early and baked up some egg muffins and extra bacon to make breakfast easier this week. With temps near 100 and no a/c - I needed to bake before it was too hot and now will not turn the oven on for a week.

Went to the gym in the am and did the weight routine and I finally have most of the machines up where I'd like them: lots of effort expended to get it done. I also find the end of the circuit tally amusing to see that I lifted something like 9,800 lbs. But then I discounted it by saying that along that count, I lift almost 250 every time I take a step, so that adds up even faster, but maybe that is apples and oranges. I also did 30 minutes of boring walking because I had some time left before I had to get the girls from the child watch area.

Lunch was fast food, mostly because they had a/c and all the quick fix cold foods are gone at home, and I got a Salad. Ended up at the same fast food chain, different location, later in the day to let the little ones play while we waited for the oldest to complete a dr's appt. I was good and just got an iced tea and some water for the littles. Made it home for a home cooked meal that was yummy but oh soooo hot to make.

B: egg muffin, bacon
    L: chicken salad
    D: meat sauce on zuchinni noodles
    Snacks: watermelon, almonds, cheese and banana pudding (didn't even taste good, no more of that then)

It has been a decent few days. Even threw in a little IF unexpectedly because I had to take a little one to the ER for stitches and missed dinner last night (and a fair amount of sleep). I am not panicking over little slips and also not that interested in them for the most part. After 2 or so weeks at the gym I am down 5 pounds and noticing some great strength increases too, driving the car without power steering is getting much easier. Feeling good.
    Last edited by xixstar; 07-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    xixstar: You're going to be just finer than fine --- I can tell from your post. I've lived most of my life the same way that you are starting out -- no fan fare -- no fireworks -- no proclamations --- no witnesses. Just waking up one moment and deciding that 'there' is going to be better than 'here'.

One day at a time --- one foot in front of the other. You have success written all over you.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome...
    I like the title, in spite of misspelling, it's a good one... I find this important.
    I also like the lack of fanfare.
    Sometimes change just is where we are heading, where we know we need to be.
    No banners, streamers, and marching bands necessary.
    Every day is a journey, and every journey begins with a single step. *end gratuitous cliche*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I like the title, in spite of misspelling, it's a good one... I find this important.
    ha, I so thought I had corrected that when posting because I consistently spell it wrong and always spell check for it too.

Thank you for the supportive words.

Mshathvri is offline Senior Member
    Somewhat tangentially, your house and garden sound lovely. =)
    Beastly musician / My Primal Blog

My plan for the year (July 23rd 2012-July 23rd 2013):

Walk to Mordor. I have walked 12.33 miles out of 1779.
    Do Convict Conditioning / balance exercises.
    Eat primally.
    Take a progress picture once a week.
    Don't weigh myself.

Starting weight: 223
    Current weight: ???
    Goal weight: 145

Waist measurement 08/03/12: 42 inches and three quarters
    Goal waist measurement: 30 inches

Yesterday was a bit of a flip. Pretty much an example of choosing to be lazy instead of feeding myself well. Then hitting the gym at 5pm with blood sugar tanking, I'm guessing from that tingly tense feeling, and after just 15 minutes of a little biking with my teen and just a few lifts I had a severe-severe headache that was making me extremely nauseous. Ended the workout and got food and the evening slowly improved.

Today - I'm taking that reminder to not be so lazy about food to heart and feeding myself well. Also got in a great hike at the park as we went hunting for wineberries -- I'm more impressed at the distance the 2 and 3 year old covered on semi-rough terrain for a while.

Oy - dragging hard today.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by xixstar View Post
    Oy - dragging hard today.
    Chin up buttercup!

“Fair goes the dancing when the Sitar is tuned,
    Tune us the Sitar neither low nor high,
    And we will dance away the hearts of men.
    The string overstretched breaks, the music dies,
    The string overslack is dumb and the music dies,
    Tune us the Sitar neither low nor high.”

Do a little dance,
    Make a little love,
    Get down tonight!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast