Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The more time that passes...the harder this gets. page

RyRo17 is offline Junior Member

The more time that passes...the harder this gets.

I've been eating primally since February '12 I believe. I was very strict and followed everything exactly at that start. Over the past 4 weeks, since hitting my goals of both bodyweight/body fat and overall appearance, I've trailed off and gone back to "cheating" a bit more than I even think I should. I think its a culmination of things. For one, people I work with were starting to tell me I looked awfully "lean." My wife has also been trying to get me to eat more because she says, "You've done a great job, this one thing isn't going to hurt you." The problem is that she tempts me in this way almost every other day now.

I guess I'm scared to fast forward 3-4 months from now and see all of my hard work over the past 5-6 months...GONE. At the same time, I'm enjoying having 2 scoops of ice cream a couple times/week and/or enjoying those french fries/tator tots, that are left over after my wife finishes her 'eat anything she wants' dinner. I've also been occasionally adding a diet soda to my meal instead of plain water for the sweet taste.

I'm sure some of you have had struggles like this. I, more or less, just wanted to voice my frustration and lack of focus right now and I guess I want some encouragement. I'm needy, what can I say. Thanks for listening.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there.... Be strong and remember the 80/20 rule. It is about you, not your wife and co-workers. It's also not a religion, have fun with it.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think you are right to be scared. Having little things added in 'here and there' is a sure road back to SAD. The mention of soda is a definite signal to me. Plan your indulgences instead of letting them 'slip in'. If you want a sweet taste, choose something that is good for you (fruit) instead of the nutritional wasteland that is soda.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I slip more than should for a couple weeks here or there. Personally I just go VLC for a few days or a week to get back on track. Then transition into standard fare Primal. Rinse and repeat as needed. What can I say...It's a journey not a destination.

RyRo17 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I think you are right to be scared. Having little things added in 'here and there' is a sure road back to SAD. The mention of soda is a definite signal to me. Plan your indulgences instead of letting them 'slip in'. If you want a sweet taste, choose something that is good for you (fruit) instead of the nutritional wasteland that is soda.
    Thanks. Always helpful to have someone give me a nice kick in the (expletive) every now and then. I'm notorious for nearing my goals and then slipping; just have to push-through.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    As long as you stay mostly Primal, you'll be fine. The 80/20 rule is here for this exact purpose, so we can relax a little and ease up every once and awhile.

I'd second the recommendations here to plan your indulgences and cut back just a tad on them. Ice cream a couple of times a week (especially the store bought stuff) isn't going to do you any good and the diet soda is cancer in a can. French fries are all right every now and then but don't make them a habit.

I mean, we all deal with this... this past weekend my cousin got married and there was tons of goodies for me to have; I indulged, it was a wedding after all, and I enjoyed every bit of it. The next day I fasted, and I was back where I wanted to be. Primal is brilliant in the fact that you can go off the rails for a day or two and not pay hugely for it.

So, in conclusion, plan the indulgences and do your best to stay Primal as often as you can. It doesn't have to be strict 100% type but just enough to wear you don't gain back the weight... which I can totally understand that fear because it looms large in the minds of those of us who've lost a lot weight on Primal.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating primally for 2 years and 4 months now. There are strict times and not so strict times. If you cheat once a week by eating out with your wife and having Sweet-n-Sour breaded chicken with a sauce that has obviously high fructose corn syrup in it, or you have a day or 2 of oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies it is obviously not going to kill you.
    The important part is to recognize where your limit is.

My husband and I found this new baker in the next town over that makes everything from scratch. The baked goods are fresh ground organic oats, fermented wheat, cheese cake made with pastured eggs...
    It is so addicting! The cheese cake is to die for. But all this indulgents came with a price. We both gained weight, we have less energy to go do anything, we sleep a lot more and are generally grumpier. We've been cheating since May and it is time to stop and give it a break. Although the ingredients are somewhat healthy, the end product isn't primal and the effects are being felt.

Over the last 2.5 years I've learned to not beat myself up if my husband wants to go get local ice cream or eat mexican with a side dish of beans. The body repairs itself fairly quickly, I'll be able to lose weight quite fast (within 3-5 days) after weeks of cheating sometimes daily.

My 20% is the fact that I have to put up with 20% of my families crap (verbal crap) and most folks don't even realize that I eat primally if I never even mention it. I enjoy life and just make my 20% the fact that 20% of the bullshit in life is shit I just can't control (like my husband's diet).

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    I stay as close to 100 percent as I can because I love the good mood it keeps me in. Plus, I don't want to "cheat" yet because I'm afraid I won't stop, so I'm getting a few more months under my belt (that fits so much better now

Trekfan, can I just say, wonderful stats, way to go!!!!!

otzi Guest
    Every now and then I forget what a bad gout attack felt like. I forget how shitty my cholesterol medicine made me feel. I forget how I couldn't 'cuddle' with my wife because my liver was so inflamed with fatty liver disease that it hurt when she was on top. I forget about the headaches I got when I forgot to take my bp meds. I forget the look on the doctor's face when telling me if I don't start eating whole grains and less meat I would die young...

Every time I'm tempted to eat just one handful on M&M's I try to remember why I'm in the best shape of my life at 46.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post

Trekfan, can I just say, wonderful stats, way to go!!!!!
    Aw shucks, thanks JudyCr.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast