Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains?

Hybrid View

What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains?

That can't be right!!!" you say. But indeed it is; it's true! ALL grains contain gluten.

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-theres-no-such-thing-as-gluten_02.html

There is much confusion surrounding the enigma that we call 'Gluten'. This is largely because almost all of the data that the majority of the medical community is going on has not been revisited or updated in as much as 60 YEARS. Now that's some old information! And from the looks of it there are no plans to update that anytime soon.

So before we move on, let's try to define gluten. If you look up 'gluten' in the dictionary, you will find that webster's definition is ALSO based on that old and outdated information; referring ONLY to wheat, rye, barley and oats. However, what we now know from modern studies is that "gluten" is actually a mixture of proteins found in ALL grains. It is composed of two primary 'subfractions' known as Prolamines and Glutelins.

The prolamine known as "gliadin" is the most studied in medical literature; primarily as it relates to Celiac Disease. Many people, including doctors, do not understand that the prolamine, "gliadin" is not the ONLY type of gluten out there, nor is it the ONLY one reeking havoc in peoples bodies. It is, however, the ONLY one that is routinely tested for and since recent studies have identified least 400 other gluten proteins out there, you may not be getting the right test done!

So, let's take a look at some of the other 'prolamines' out there...

The Prolamine Fraction of Proteins in Grains

Grain Prolamine % Total Protein
    Wheat Gliadin 69%
    Rye Secalinin 30-50%
    Oats Avenin 16%
    Barley Hordein 46-52%
    Millet Panicin 40%
    Corn Zien 55%
    Rice Orzenin 5%
    Sorgum Kafirin 52%

*This is excerpted. There's more to the full web page, including a video by
    Dr. Peter Osborne.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-05-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typos

Pretty interesting. Personally, I react as badly to oats (or worse) than I do to wheat. I wonder about rice too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Pretty interesting. Personally, I react as badly to oats (or worse) than I do to wheat. I wonder about rice too.
    My mum and I are really intolerant to wheat (especially bread) but we are both fine (no reactions what so ever) to oats? I don't even bloat with them like I do most other carbs like potato!

Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    My mum and I are really intolerant to wheat (especially bread) but we are both fine (no reactions what so ever) to oats? I don't even bloat with them like I do most other carbs like potato!
    magicmerl Can't we just accept that when 'gluten' is used it is most often meant to mean 'gliadin'?

Thats my point for posting this magic merl. I'm not physically allergic to wheat gluten not even a little, hell I used to make seitan at home, big pots of it & eat it for days on end, relishing it, never feeling bad, to the contrary I relished it. Same with rice & millet & quinoa, no issues at all. But if I ever ate oats 2-3 days in a row, yikes, serious gas city & sometimes poop ville too! Not all gluten issues are gliadin. There are hundreds of types of gluten just as there are many many grains & many different peoples.

Thanks for the post. You have given me stuff to think about and some more terms to check. I live with one celiac kid and one grain-free kid because all grains seem to bother her. In the end, it worked well, because I got 6 years of cooking experience with a diet that closely mirrors the Primal before I was even aware of the term "Primal" - and then went on it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    magicmerl Can't we just accept that when 'gluten' is used it is most often meant to mean 'gliadin'?

Thats my point for posting this magic merl. I'm not physically allergic to wheat gluten not even a little, hell I used to make seitan at home, big pots of it & eat it for days on end, relishing it, never feeling bad, to the contrary I relished it. Same with rice & millet & quinoa, no issues at all. But if I ever ate oats 2-3 days in a row, yikes, serious gas city & sometimes poop ville too! Not all gluten issues are gliadin. There are hundreds of types of gluten just as there are many many grains & many different peoples.
    I used to happily eat a whole load of bread without any symptoms of gluten intolerance, but for decades I experienced digestive issues after eating non-gluten containing whole foods (e.g. garlic, onion, particular veggies) as well as general IBS symptoms, all of which literally vanished when I removed gluten from my diet.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I used to happily eat a whole load of bread without any symptoms of gluten intolerance, but for decades I experienced digestive issues after eating non-gluten containing whole foods (e.g. garlic, onion, particular veggies) as well as general IBS symptoms, all of which literally vanished when I removed gluten from my diet.
    You've just described my father, who overate white bread & freezer section Lender's bagels from the 50s-90s(wow!). He never could tolerate garlic or onions, even well cooked, or mixed into dishes. He can eat chili peppers w/out issue. One thing can cause bowel irritation & dmage, inflammation & compromise the immune system etc, then another set of things will set them off.

Interesting info & makes sense really.
    Thanks.

Both my parents are addicted to grains & sugary sweets, and both know about Primal & that I've been 99% pain-free whereas just a few years ago & the past decade + I was almost daily pain that restricted me in life, & have even been bedridden for days 1-2x/year when my "back went out". Last year I even got my mom off grains & beans, crappy oils etc, basically enforced Primal, cause she had a heart attack & was 5 lbs from being classified obese. 40 lbs later, weaned her off 5 of her prescription meds she's walking (no daily) & swimming (some). She's back on bread, crappy rancid oils, packaged sweets, HFCS, all of it. Enforced primal worked (it was months of conflict, complaints & arguing) but it's her life, she has the info, but chooses to take all the meds again, & is slowly gaining the weight back of course, & diverse symptoms that lessened or disappeared are back again.

We're all adults, mostly, and everyone has to find their own way, even if it choosing to suffer & accelerate one's decline.

Nice to have this community, even with dissention, bickering & conflicting info/opinions. In business, having all partners or employees being yes men, usually leads to some serious trouble over time. I've always sought partners in business with strong opinions and diverse knowledge bases and experiences, otherwise, what's they point?
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-19-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks for posting this. I only indulge in rice when it is serving the function of sticking my sushi together. Maybe once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I only indulge in rice when it is serving the function of sticking my sushi together. Maybe once a month.
    ^^^This. No point in eating rice without raw fish and seaweed, IMHO.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I think you can be allergic to some types of prolamins but not others.