Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains? page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains?

Primal Fuel
    That can't be right!!!" you say. But indeed it is; it's true! ALL grains contain gluten.

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-theres-no-such-thing-as-gluten_02.html

There is much confusion surrounding the enigma that we call 'Gluten'. This is largely because almost all of the data that the majority of the medical community is going on has not been revisited or updated in as much as 60 YEARS. Now that's some old information! And from the looks of it there are no plans to update that anytime soon.

So before we move on, let's try to define gluten. If you look up 'gluten' in the dictionary, you will find that webster's definition is ALSO based on that old and outdated information; referring ONLY to wheat, rye, barley and oats. However, what we now know from modern studies is that "gluten" is actually a mixture of proteins found in ALL grains. It is composed of two primary 'subfractions' known as Prolamines and Glutelins.

The prolamine known as "gliadin" is the most studied in medical literature; primarily as it relates to Celiac Disease. Many people, including doctors, do not understand that the prolamine, "gliadin" is not the ONLY type of gluten out there, nor is it the ONLY one reeking havoc in peoples bodies. It is, however, the ONLY one that is routinely tested for and since recent studies have identified least 400 other gluten proteins out there, you may not be getting the right test done!

So, let's take a look at some of the other 'prolamines' out there...

The Prolamine Fraction of Proteins in Grains

Grain Prolamine % Total Protein
    Wheat Gliadin 69%
    Rye Secalinin 30-50%
    Oats Avenin 16%
    Barley Hordein 46-52%
    Millet Panicin 40%
    Corn Zien 55%
    Rice Orzenin 5%
    Sorgum Kafirin 52%

*This is excerpted. There's more to the full web page, including a video by
    Dr. Peter Osborne.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-05-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typos

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Pretty interesting. Personally, I react as badly to oats (or worse) than I do to wheat. I wonder about rice too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks for posting this. I only indulge in rice when it is serving the function of sticking my sushi together. Maybe once a month.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    I think you can be allergic to some types of prolamins but not others.

Yep some grains I never felt anything from. But I used to get so gassy if I ate instant or rolled oats alone or with milk. I wonder if I'm over that now?

I really don't miss eating oats much, as I use coconut flakes & flour instead when baking. I was eating coconuts in the 80s while in the tropics, intutively sure that they felt healthy & were for surely just too yummy to not be good for ya.

I did used to bake/eat lots of oat raisin cookies 'back in the day', lol

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Can't we just accept that when 'gluten' is used it is most often meant to mean 'gliadin'?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Pretty interesting. Personally, I react as badly to oats (or worse) than I do to wheat. I wonder about rice too.
    My mum and I are really intolerant to wheat (especially bread) but we are both fine (no reactions what so ever) to oats? I don't even bloat with them like I do most other carbs like potato!

Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    My mum and I are really intolerant to wheat (especially bread) but we are both fine (no reactions what so ever) to oats? I don't even bloat with them like I do most other carbs like potato!
    magicmerl Can't we just accept that when 'gluten' is used it is most often meant to mean 'gliadin'?

Thats my point for posting this magic merl. I'm not physically allergic to wheat gluten not even a little, hell I used to make seitan at home, big pots of it & eat it for days on end, relishing it, never feeling bad, to the contrary I relished it. Same with rice & millet & quinoa, no issues at all. But if I ever ate oats 2-3 days in a row, yikes, serious gas city & sometimes poop ville too! Not all gluten issues are gliadin. There are hundreds of types of gluten just as there are many many grains & many different peoples.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the post. You have given me stuff to think about and some more terms to check. I live with one celiac kid and one grain-free kid because all grains seem to bother her. In the end, it worked well, because I got 6 years of cooking experience with a diet that closely mirrors the Primal before I was even aware of the term "Primal" - and then went on it myself.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    There are anti-nutrients in everything we eat. There is gliadin and gluteninin in wheat. There is avenin in oats. There is albumin in eggs. Some people have severe fish allergies. Some people's throats close up if they eat any nuts. Green vegetables are loaded with oxalates. Crucifers are loaded with goitrogens that suppress thyroid functions. Berries force you to eat the seeds, which contain levels of toxins. Stone fruits, apples and almonds contain cyanide. Coconut causes nausea and digestive issues in some people. Overconsumption of liver can cause heavy metal poisoning. Citrus fruits can weaken teeth and bone. Coffee and cocoa have some of the highest levels of phytate in nature. Dairy contains inflammatory whey and casein proteins.

EVERYTHING has poison in it. If we didn't eat anything that had a downside we'd all starve to death. All those things above are just off the top of my head, and if you want to get technical I can argue why we shouldn't eat any of them. But alas, the positives often outweigh the negatives. Like anything else, the poison is in the dose. People die from drinking too much water,you hyperventilate if you take in too much air and you get sunburn and skin cancer if you get too much sun. Without food, air, water and sunlight, you won't last very long though.

I'd bet money far more people have fish and egg allergies than have issues with white rice. Does that make white rice healthier than fish and eggs?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast