Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains? page 5

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Last year I even got my mom off grains & beans...
    You may find beans are making paleo/primal in-roads. It appears that beans (ie. lentils, legumes, etc...) are quite healthy when properly prepared and contain a unique mixture of protein, fermentable fiber, and resistant starch.

It seems the best way to prepare beans is to soak them at room temp for 12-48 hours, do not rinse until the end. This allows lacto bacteria to degrade some cell structures and break down certain anti-nutrients and compounds (raffinose, for instance--the fart maker). Properly fermented beans are then slowly cooked until tender. Freezing the leftovers and eating later, warm or cold, gives a boost to the resistant starch content and mineral availability.

I was a blind believer in 'no beans, potatoes, rice' for years. I've been eating them all for the past year with no harmful effect.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I thought Small Pox Blankets were going to be some take on pigs in a blanket.

Just made some fry bread (a different recipe from your link) with GF flour and topped it with pork and green tomato. I'm stuffed.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I thought Small Pox Blankets were going to be some take on pigs in a blanket.

Just made some fry bread (a different recipe from your link) with GF flour and topped it with pork and green tomato. I'm stuffed.
    Every year at our fair, the Navajo Taco stand has the longest line. I sneaked a peak at their fryer this year--DISGUSTING. Oil looked as if it hadn't been changed since 3 years ago and they were using Wesson Vegetable Oil. The standard taco comes with grilled corn, beans, and cabbage--the most popular menu item was the 'Sugar-fried' variety, however.

Your GF fry bread sounds a tad better!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I saw a still of the guy in that video at the bottom. I immediately lost interest.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Every year at our fair, the Navajo Taco stand has the longest line. I sneaked a peak at their fryer this year--DISGUSTING. Oil looked as if it hadn't been changed since 3 years ago and they were using Wesson Vegetable Oil. The standard taco comes with grilled corn, beans, and cabbage--the most popular menu item was the 'Sugar-fried' variety, however.

Your GF fry bread sounds a tad better!
    Yes, I think so. And fried in lard. The good kind. I've never been a big fan of sugar fried foods. I like sweets well enough, but donuts and such never did it for me. Krispy who?

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I saw a still of the guy in that video at the bottom. I immediately lost interest.
    Oh, you should have watched! He's like a male Paula Deen. Big old belly putting ground beef with a packet of taco seasoning mixed in on the fry bread. And when he bit into it, crap went all over. Or honey - which was neater. I LOL'd.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345