Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This thread makes me want to eat a sandwich out of spite.

The oldest recorded man on Earth survives mostly on quinoa.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ocumented?lite

How can this be? Quinoa contains deadly saponins! Yikes. He also eats an extremely high carbohydrate diet loaded with starch and consumes very little animal fat and protein. He eats mostly skunk meat for an animal source.

As bad as grains are, they probably aren't what's killing us. Soy and PUFA's are the issue. We're dying from a toxic unsaturated:saturated fat ratio, at least that's what I believe. A diet high in wheat could give you bad allergies, digestive issues and respiratory problems, but I don't think it's causing heart issues. That's the bad fats IMO. Wheat avoidance I understand, and to a lesser extent oats, but the non-gluten grains I feel are mostly benign.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-18-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I mostly avoid bad oils, and while ii rarely make grains got myself, I don't totally avoid them either. I don't know, I feel good. I find that given my current lifestyle it's not worth it to militantly avoid grains. I just limit my consumption quite a lot. If I had less friends/family and didn't have to go out as much I wouldn't eat them at all.

I can't imagine living in constant fear of the stuff. The whole 30 lifestyle is totally unsustainable for me.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    One more reason I laugh at people who just eat "some" grains and not others. It's all for the rats and birds, it's not people food.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    One more reason I laugh at people who just eat "some" grains and not others. It's all for the rats and birds, it's not people food.
    For what's it worth, "skunk meat" is from a poor translation, as those people living in the andes, living on a quinoa-centric diet, there's NO skunks in their environment. That "skunk meat" is actually a reference to coriander which flavors that meat, of a indigenous small animal, certainly impossible to be skunk. Skunks cannot be found south of Northern or Central Mexico or certainly Guatemala as a maximal limit, to be generous to animalistic tenacity.

I'm not a primal/paleo nazi type, far from it. Though I can understand people who feel the need or want to go that hard-core route, at least to get things on the fast track for health or weight loss or both. And I feel I can assist/coach people/clients to do that, if they wish to.

For myself, not needing to lose significant weight, never having any major weight issues, I came to primal due to my life-long seeking & interest in optimizing health & happiness, through diet & lifestyle. My issues were more inflammation in & around discs & limited athletic abilities & loss of sponteniety (ie dancing) stemming from that inflammation & pain.

I will eat some grains, rice/rice pasta, oats, quinoa & even the occassional slice of pizza, very rare.

Ice cream has been a recent indulgence. It's gonna end soon though, it's about run it's course...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This thread makes me want to eat a sandwich out of spite.

How can this be? Quinoa contains deadly saponins! Yikes. He also eats an extremely high carbohydrate diet loaded with starch and consumes very little animal fat and protein. He eats mostly skunk meat for an animal source.

As bad as grains are, they probably aren't what's killing us. Soy and PUFA's are the issue. We're dying from a toxic unsaturated:saturated fat ratio, at least that's what I believe. A diet high in wheat could give you bad allergies, digestive issues and respiratory problems, but I don't think it's causing heart issues. That's the bad fats IMO. Wheat avoidance I understand, and to a lesser extent oats, but the non-gluten grains I feel are mostly benign.
    #1 Enjoy your sandwich, if you so choose to have one (or more). #2 Quinoa's saponin's (a type of glycoside) are mostly washed away from repeated rinsing. Technically quinoa is a seed, not a grain, just a detail. There is no danger of saponin poisoning (which is real btw ), from properly rinsed quinoa. #3 Some people never eat much soy but they overconsume wheat & other modern grains & they develop serious issues. I see most people's weight issues or health issues, in our modern society's context, as an amalgamation and a synergistic negative effect of all the various poor food & lifestyle choices, all cascading together over time, to harm or wreck people's health. Not just a simplistic broad "it's about 03-06 ratios, & rancid or trans fat oils", though I really feel those are keys issues to correct, for anyone serious about primal. Primal addresses all the various food toxins, exercise approaches, stress-reduction, happiness-increasing philosophies/activities, all while offering a 80/20 sane, sustainable model, which is different & imo, stands apart from other dogmatic, perfectionistic systems (mostly unsustainable perfectionsim).

I tell my cousin, repeatedly, she needs to clear out her pantry & fridge, of all the crappy oils and chemicals, NOT JUST cut out grains & processed sugar products. Mayo & Salad dressing is a hard one for many people, as canola & soy are even in "health food" & "organic" brands. I see salad dressing advertised as "Olive Oil" based & "Organic!" on their front labels, but on the back, it's mainly canola with a small % of olive oil. Making one's own mayo, for most people, is a hassle they can't wrap their minds around...
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-19-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Cross-reactivity/reactions from non-gluten foods: seeds, tubers & dairy

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread31287.html Post #18 from March 2012

activia Senior Member

Just be careful with cross-reactivity...
    "Finally, we also now know that when you are gluten intolerant – which 33% (if not more) of you are – you will also “cross-react” with other foods that have a similar “molecular signature” to gluten and its components. Unfortunately, the list of these foods (shown below) contains all grains, which is why some medical practitioners (myself included) recommend not just a gluten-free diet, but an entirely grain-free diet. As you can see, it also contains other foods like dairy (alpha & beta casein, casomorphin, milk butyrophilin) and coffee (which is a very common cross-reactant).

alpha-caesin
    beta-caesin
    casomorphin
    milk butyrophilin
    cow’s milk
    american cheese
    chocolate
    coffee
    all cereal grains
    quinoa
    amaranth
    buckwheat
    tapioca
    rice
    potato
    corn
    sesame

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    That can't be right!!!" you say. But indeed it is; it's true! ALL grains contain gluten.

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-theres-no-such-thing-as-gluten_02.html

There is much confusion surrounding the enigma that we call 'Gluten'. This is largely because almost all of the data that the majority of the medical community is going on has not been revisited or updated in as much as 60 YEARS. Now that's some old information! And from the looks of it there are no plans to update that anytime soon.

So before we move on, let's try to define gluten. If you look up 'gluten' in the dictionary, you will find that webster's definition is ALSO based on that old and outdated information; referring ONLY to wheat, rye, barley and oats. However, what we now know from modern studies is that "gluten" is actually a mixture of proteins found in ALL grains. It is composed of two primary 'subfractions' known as Prolamines and Glutelins.

The prolamine known as "gliadin" is the most studied in medical literature; primarily as it relates to Celiac Disease. Many people, including doctors, do not understand that the prolamine, "gliadin" is not the ONLY type of gluten out there, nor is it the ONLY one reeking havoc in peoples bodies. It is, however, the ONLY one that is routinely tested for and since recent studies have identified least 400 other gluten proteins out there, you may not be getting the right test done!

So, let's take a look at some of the other 'prolamines' out there...

The Prolamine Fraction of Proteins in Grains

Grain Prolamine % Total Protein
    Wheat Gliadin 69%
    Rye Secalinin 30-50%
    Oats Avenin 16%
    Barley Hordein 46-52%
    Millet Panicin 40%
    Corn Zien 55%
    Rice Orzenin 5%
    Sorgum Kafirin 52%

*This is excerpted. There's more to the full web page, including a video by
    Dr. Peter Osborne.
    Terrible research, and I'm far from an expert in the field. I just happened to spend a couple hours tonight on it.

1. Gliadin makes up about half of gluten in wheat. The other half is glutelin. Gliadin causes Celiac and other nasty diseases, but it's glutelin that causes most allergies involving wheat. I *believe* it's glutelin we should be worried about, not gliadin (unless you're celiac).
    2. The article lists prolamine (the broader category for which gliadin belongs) percentages as if all of the plants had gliadin. Actually, gliadin is only found in wheat and a few of its cousins. There is a different type of prolamine in most grains.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think you just need to try foods and see how it goes.

I can't eat nightshades- I had redpepper and eggplant last night for the first time in a year and feel like crap-like I could go eat McDonalds and feel better. Shrimp will put me in the ER.

I'm beginning to think I don't have any issue with wheat, beyond that I overeat it and push out good calories. I can have the occasional bread and not see any impact on the scale like I do with rice and potatos. I also feel fine after eating it. Corn on the other hand makes me bloat and gives me mouth ulcers.

To me, the main problem with grains in the SAD is just that people eat them too much. The base of the diet should be fruits and vegetables, not grain. It's really a grain based diet when you think about it. Grains at every meal:
    Breakfast is likely to be cereal, oats OR some kind of protein with bread.
    Lunch is a small portion of protein with a big portion of bread
    Dinner is similar- small portion of protein, then rice, grains or more bread.

Grains just don't bring enough to the table to be eaten in that quantity. Then if you eat a shit ton of one food, of course the bad qualities are magnified.

I used to think the opiates in grains made me overeat them, but now I think it was more about malnutrition. I ate a croissant 2 weeks ago and haven't wanted bread since. Now I do have it as an occasional treat, so have put it back in my life, but I'm not really compelled to eat it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As someone who felt horrible on a diet of meat and vegetables (with no fruit and starches), I believe some of us need carbohydrates more than others, including from grains we can tolerate. I was never attracted to rice, and do not miss wheat and white potatoes at all, but I also found in surprise that I got foot cramps due to lack of magnesium despite copious amounts of broth. Seeing I eliminated buckwheat from my diet, and it is a good source of magnesium, and I do miss it so well... I think that could be in part because it may actually be beneficial for me to eat buckwheat & millet. Not with every meal, obviously.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think some people do have horrible issues with grains/gluten. A lot of the success stories sound like they are people who were flat out sick in awful ways and then healed themselves by eliminating grains. I read their stories and am like, holy shit, I may have been fat and struggling to lose weight, but was never that ill. Sounds like they were going thru a slow death. But obviously, most people do not have that reaction to grains or it would not be such a staple of our diet.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast