Thread: Alternative to pullups? page

FriedBob is offline Junior Member

Question Alternative to pullups?

Primal Fuel
    At home, and in my workplace's fitness center I do not have a suitable place to do pullups.

We do have a lat pull down machine, however.

I know they make those bars you can attach to a doorway, but I don't have one right now and it will be a while before I am able to get one.

Are there any exercises I can do as a good alternative to a pushup?

Best I can think of is to set the pull down machine close to my body weight, but I know that's not really the same, since it won't use my core to help me stabilize.

But I can't think of anything I might be able to do at home, which is where I do most of my PEMs and sprints.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Jungle gyms, tree branches, towel hangs
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Most any playground has a place to do pull-ups, and that doorway bar costs about $15 last I looked. You can do rows and inverted pushups (Aussie rows) but it would be easiest and best just to locate a suitable pullup bar, they are all around you.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I use a Z-Trainer which is like a TRX but not insanely priced. It allows me to do a "body row". Doing this with the Z-Trainer has taken me from being able to do zero pullups to being able to do eight (and more chinups) over about six months. Awesome piece of kit.