I once had a doctor tell me that 80% of our serum cholesterol comes directly from our liver, and has nothing to do with diet. The other 20% is directly related to diet. He told me I had a stupid liver and it just didn't know when to stop pumping out the cholesterol. Six month ago I stopped taking cholesterol meds. My numbers are high - but not panic high. My triglycerides dropped to 77 after cutting all grains.