Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 KB swing challenge in 10 or 30 days page 6

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I should also mention that I found using more glute activation (from the blog, as I understood it) to be helpful. That is, that I am accustomed to girovik protocols which focus on efficient movement. So, as far as the swings are concerned, I was barely bending my legs on the backward/catch portion of the movement. I have since read the blog adopted a deeper knee bend, leading to more glute activation/larger muscle groups taking the burden.
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Yes, from what I gathered they were using the Hardstyle, which involves a lot more glute activation, deeper knee bend, and also more forearm contact with the hips in order to use the hip thrust to complete the arc.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

JRuined is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys. I started the 10000 for the 10 day period yesterday, and realized people here had started it. Figured I'd jump on board. I'm doing 1500 today to make up for a trip to the emergency room with my daughter yesterday (fun is). 500 yesterday, and I've run through 900 today so far, I'll be banging out the 600 I need after work tonight.

On another note, I didn't realize there was any other way to do K.B.s than hardstyle, I only found out recently there were variations. Then again I live in a cave.

@pdjesson You still breath during your reps for the breathing ladders, but you keep your breathing normal through the nose no exhalation out of your mouth. After your reps you take however many breaths that correspond with the reps completed.

@JRuined, no, I hold my breath while doing the reps and take the requisite breaths during the 'rest' period; all this without opening my mouth. This is how I understood at least one of the protocols in the 10,000 swings blog. Have you understood it differently? Do you think this is advisable?

I'm a bit behind with my swings; got 700 done yesterday and I'm in the process of working off the rest.
    All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

@pdjesson

From the T-Nation article:

"BL = Breathing Ladder(1-20-1) = the reps go from 1-20 and back down to 1, in increments of 1 per set, i.e. 1,2,3...19,20,19,...3,2,1. Total reps = 400

During these workouts, don't open your mouth. At all. Breathe normally while working but exclusively through the nose during both rest and work intervals."

I think holding your breath might be cool for a challenge (just like we used to on my swim team to help with how our bodies used oxygen during work), but doing it for this amount of work would probably be inadvisable.

Yes, I reread the original blog article and he doesn't mentioning breathing while working; I guess it was assumed. I also had my doubts about the protocol having been taught that holding ones breath for the duration of heavy lifts may be harmful. I will continue to do a few sets this way for the possible benefits you indicate and I will also follow the suggested protocols. Here is one of the earliest explications on laddered breathing.

Edit: the links don't work; the first, should have taken one to 10000swings.blogspot.co.uk (day 9); the second, should bring one to www.gymjones.com/knowledge/article/27/
    Last edited by pdjesson; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Thanks man. That GymJones article is nice. Saved it for reference. When I hit the 450 mark when I was running through the 900 I did I hit that zen point that's mentioned in there. I actually had to stop myself from rolling through the 600 I have left for tonight. Felt like I could just gooooo.

OK, time for an update report; its a bit of a mess. Got 1166 done today, add that to the 700 I completed previously and we have 1866. So, I have 134 outstanding and 1000 to do for today. All of today's lifts were done with a 28kg KB with ladders up to 30 with one breath for the work. I'm going to start breathing, through my nose/mouth closed, for the upcoming work.

Yeah, I've been getting that zen like feeling, too. One feels in such control and prepared to roll on. Unfortunately, I had to stop for supper. But the controlled breathing and the ladders make what appears to be quite a daunting undertaking rather enjoyable *psychotic laugh*

Time to shave my palms!
    All the best!

PDJ

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Did 700 today! As others mentioned before, I want to continue my regular lifting routine so I'm trying to complete this challenge in 30 days. I'm aiming for 600 on rest days. So far my total is 1340 reps in 3 days. I just bought a foam roller and boy do I need it.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Got my 1,000 done for today. I'm still 100 short from yesterday. That'll be remedied tomorrow. I'm finding that every day is getting easier now...especially now that I'm being more consistent with my foam rolling.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast