Thread: Setting weight training goals page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Setting weight training goals

Shop Now
    I am going to be 30yo on Feb 1 and I want to feel better, be stronger, and be thinner. I need to lose weight and am looking to lift weights to help with that. I want to set some goals so I have something to strive for. My first goal is to be able to do a pull-up. I'm not sure how to go about getting goals for squat, dead, and bench. What would be considered a solid weight to lift for a 30yo female? I was a D3 soccer player and have lifted on and off over the years. Thoughts? I want to get stronger while losing inches. I'm currently 5'4" 181lbs, so plenty to lose.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Don't focus on a weigh goal but rather focus on increasing your weight each session. I would use either starting strength, strong lifts or Primal Blue Print fitness.
    Welcome to getting strong.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Buying a pull-up bar was the best exercise investment I made. I started in February, I'm almost 52 and I'd never even done 1 chin up (palms facing you) and now I can do 3. It does't just work your upper body it also works your core. I started out by jumping up to the bar and holding myself as long as I could. I then worked on jumping up to the bar and slowly lowering myself. I put the bar in a doorway and often when I passed the doorway I would jump up and lower myself. I was soon able to do a chin-up.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Buying a pull-up bar was the best exercise investment I made. I started in February, I'm almost 52 and I'd never even done 1 chin up (palms facing you) and now I can do 3. It does't just work your upper body it also works your core. I started out by jumping up to the bar and holding myself as long as I could. I then worked on jumping up to the bar and slowly lowering myself. I put the bar in a doorway and often when I passed the doorway I would jump up and lower myself. I was soon able to do a chin-up.
    Ahh, greasing the groove at its finest! Congrats on the chin-ups!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I'm already working through Mark's progression in PBF and trying pull-ups at the park whenever there with the kids. Just not there yet. Trying to figure out good goals for the other things for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Don't focus on a weigh goal but rather focus on increasing your weight each session. I would use either starting strength, strong lifts or Primal Blue Print fitness.
    Welcome to getting strong.
    That's the plan, to increase weight each time. But I'd like to have a goal, that's just how I am. I am doing PBF once a week and lifting once a week. I like to be able to see the weights progress and PBF just doesn't do that for me. I have no idea what a good weight would be.