Thread: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME/Primal Living page

North Kerry is offline Junior Member

Question Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME/Primal Living

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has used the Primal Blueprint to overcome ME/CFS or serious adrenal issues. I am in my early 40's and have been in serious trouble with CFS for 5 years. Have been down pretty much every known route and been hospitalised 8 times. Doctors have told me its "incurable" and to retire!...I would have been very active....runner/football/gym/bike.....Lived a pretty full life with work/travel etc but all that has completely stopped. I had been on a large amount of prescription medication to try and restart my adrenals but it was not successful so about 4 months ago I came off all prescribed meds and tried to adjust diet to improve my quality of life. Symptoms included low blood pressure/low white cell count(3.2)/ low cortisol/terrible sleep including apnoea that is not relieved by the use of CPAP/ terrible blood sugar dips.... Also I can no longer handle mental stress of any sort or very little physical stress.....

Since I adjusted my diet I have got better control of my blood sugar and the day to day weakness is not as bad. Dietary wise I have not gone Primal yet but have cut out the rubblish... no sugar/sweets/bread/bananas /biscuits/processed meats.... reduced dairy to full fat butter and small amounts of milk. Eat alot of raw fruit and veg/fish/chicken/beef/nuts/eggs/...... Since doing this I have dropped about 15 pounds but weight loss is my objective....though I am sure carrying around all that fat was not helping. When I was training my body fat was 11%...its 22% now...went to 26%

Supplement wise I take CQ10/Flax seed oil/cod liver oil/DHEA/Kelp/Magnesium/Spirulina/Vitamin D3/Multivitamin....

Apologies for the long winded message!!!.....would love to hear from anyone with advice or who has been down the same road or especially if you have used Primal Living to beat this horrible condition!!

All the best

S.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Kerry,

You are suffering from a severe iodine deficiency.
    Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic

Conditions Treated With Iodine from the above link
    ADD/ADHD
    Atherosclerosis
    Breast Diseases
    Dupuytren’s Contracture
    Excess Mucous Production
    Fatigue
    Fibrocystic Breasts
    Goiter
    Hemorrhoids
    Headaches and Migraine Headaches
    Hypertension
    Infections
    Keloids
    Liver Diseases
    Nephrotic Syndrome
    Ovarian Disease
    Parotid Duct Stones
    Peyronie’s
    Prostate Disorders
    Sebaceous Cysts
    Thyroid Disorders
    Vaginal Infections
    Complete details here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Also see:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post821946

The path to CFS begins with Halogen Chemical displacing iodine in most cells of the body. Every cell in your body requires iodine to be healthy, including muscle cells & thyroid. We live in a sea of halogen chemicals which have taken over most of the cells in our body. Things like Bromide in food, furniture, carpeting. Fluoride in our water and chlorine in water + crop sprays.
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

You need to go on the Brownstein Iodine Protocol described in Iodine 101 here:
    Iodine Anyone? - Page 262 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 262

You are very likely to be suffering one or more hypothyroid symptoms as well:
    * Cholesterol levels increased (1) * Cysts of skin, breast & ovaries (2,9)
    * Cold intolerance (cold hands & feet) (1) * Concentration decreased [brain fog] (1)
    * Constipation (1) * Depression (1)
    * Diabetes (4) * Dry, coarse hair (1)
    * Dry skin (1) * Dry Mouth
    * Dry Eyes * Excessive sleepiness (1)
    * Fatigue (1) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome * Fibromyalgia (4)
    * Fluid Retention (4) * Graves’ Disease (4)
    * Hair Loss (10) * Headaches (11)
    * Heart rate slowing (1) * Hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, Hashi’s (4, 9)
    * Immune system reduced function (4) * Insomnia (4)
    * Keloids (9) * Memory Poor (12)
    * Miscarriages & Low Baby IQ * Mental Retardation
    * Muscle Cramps, Pain (1,4) * Parotid duct stones.(12) * Puffiness around the eyes (1) * Stomach Problems
    * Sweating reduced or gone(1) * Swelling of the legs (edema) (1) * Temperature drop in body temp (1) * Thyroid cysts (Goiters) (2,3) * Weakness (12) * Weight gain (1)

Join us at the Iodine Group:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45205.html

As you can see iodine deficiency leads to a pandoras box of health problems that baffle doctors.
    Get yourself tested for iodine deficiency +fluoride/bromide:
    Hakala Research - Home

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Video on iodine deficiency:

Grizz

North Kerry is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Grizz,

This has been suggested to me before but I never went after it in a serious way. I will follow up on the testing...not sure if I can get that done in Ireland but it sounds like I need to get it done somewhere.....I would have about 75% of the symptoms you listed above....its only in the past few months that I have started to sweat again and even at that it is still not consistent or "nornal".....

Thanks for the help...much appreciated

S.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't have CFS, but I do have severe chronic fatigue secondary to arthritis. I could easily sleep 17 hours a day at one point. I don't think anyone realizes how devastating it is to your life to be exhausted ALL the time.

Primal eating has helped me immensely. I have still only about 30-50% the energy of what normal people can do. But that is a huge improvement. Unfortunately, I do have follow a more strict autoimmune version of primal to feel decent and I still have bad spells. The biggest helps for me so far are low lectin primal eating, inclusion of organ meats and foods that contain rarer nutrients (bone marrow, LIVER!!!, oyster, brazil nuts, some iodine, bone broth) topical magnesium brine, potassium supplement, vitamin D3. I added f.lux software to my computer and am considering other techniques to eliminate blue light at night to deepen my sleep. Adding f.lux helped some.

You may want to consider eliminating the flax oil. It is easily oxidized and doesn't really provide anything to your body.

I am also considering adding in some acetyl-l-choline and l-carnitine supplements. This combo has been clinically shown to improve energy in several conditions, so I think it is worth a try. Have you tried those?

Good luck! I think primal eating is really the best foundation for good health. At a minimum I think your condition should improve eating this way.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

lizzy69 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there,

This is my first post and I wanted to reply to you so you know you're not alone. I was diagnosed with a reactivation of the Epstein Barr virus almost 3 months ago, and I've been out of work since on sick leave. Before this turns into a CFS diagnosis (can only get that once you've been sick for six months, as you know), I am trying desperately to be proactive and to do everything and anything that could potentially make me feel well again. I went from an incredibly active and energetic college professor to someone who most days couldn't get out of bed. Devastating fatigue, sore throat, ear pain, brain fog, sinus pain, and severe dizziness (no driving for me because of the dizziness, I'm pretty much housebound). I'm currently being bounced around different doctors, all of whom so far have said that they can't do a darned thing for me. I made an appointment to go to an acupuncturist/herbalist in a couple of days, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Anyway, although I have been eating well and mostly low-carb for the past ten years or so, I wanted to really jump into the Primal way of eating in an effort to see if it would help my current health situation so I could get back to work and back to my normal life. I started it a week ago, and I already feel a difference. Of course, it could be psychological, it could be the supplements I'm taking (I'll send you a list if you want), there are a lot of variables (sorry, I'm a researcher! Ha!), but I know that this week I haven't had any "bad" days and most days I've had the energy to actually leave the house and do an errand. We'll see how it goes!

I hope you're feeling better. Maybe we can start a special forum for EBV/CFS/FMS? Anyone who's reading this who might have these health challenges could participate! It would be wonderful to start a support group and see how the diet is helping our day-to-day lives.

Good luck!