Thread: Getting ready to go Primal and a question page

BOMO is offline Junior Member

Getting ready to go Primal and a question

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,
    I'm from southwest Missouri and my wife and I will be going Primal starting next week. We are currently 3/4 the way through the 21 Day Transformation book. I've been lurking for a few weeks, but really want to get involved in this great community!

I've been researching Primal foods that are available in my area and have a question regarding one option I've found.

At our local farmer's market there is only one option for beef. After speaking with the seller, I learned that the beef is Belgian Blue Beef. A brochure I picked up says that this beef has 0.76% total fat versus traditional american beef with 25 - 35% total fat or lean american beef with 15 - 25% total fat. I asked if the beef was grass-fed/pastured and was told it is pastured, then grain finished.

My question is: It's my understanding that I want fat in my beef. Should I stay away from this Belgian Blue Beef?

Thanks,

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It just depends on what your other options are in your surrounding area.

Grain-finished isn't preferred if you can find (and afford) grass fed & finished. Keep in mind, this is not CAFO (feedlot) beef, so you're already 100x better than anything you'd buy in a grocery store. Are they raised humanely? Do they live in a clean environment, relatively stress-free? These are other things to consider as well as what their diet is.

If I didn't have access to grass fed & finished, I would feel ok buying this beef, assuming the answers to the other questions are "Yes."