Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beet juice page 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Annana View Post
    You should give beet kvass a try. It's an easy to make fermented beetroot drink which is apparently very nutritious and a great tonic. Beet Kvass
    Beet kvass is awesome, but can be problematic for some people: ...excerpted from the excellent comments section of this Gut forum post:http://www.lovingourguts.com/low-oxa...in-season-now/
    PattyLA
    on May 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm said:
    "Hi Beth, First soaking and fermenting seem to have little if any impact on oxalate content of foods so almonds that have been soaked and beet kvass are almost certainly still very high oxalate I am sorry to say. My younger daughter will react to oxalate consumption in an obvious way and would react to my eating just a couple of soaked almonds from what was passing through my breast milk to her. "

Almonds are high in oxalates and assorted phytates, but we do know that soaking/sprouted raw almonds & slipping the brown skins off the sprouts before processing them or before consumption, eliminates many/most of these anti-nutrients. I posted that on her site, maybe she can test it since she & has such a sensitive child that will be an ideal test barometer. Allergies, to foods, pollen, pet dander or dust mites, are mistakes of the brain and immune system, & can be reversed, healed or at the very least vastly improved.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-27-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Annana is offline Senior Member
    That's very interesting, I didn't realise that would be the case with beetroot. It certainly makes sense for unsoaked almonds.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, beet kvass. Not a fan. I probably would have kept at it, trying to get used to it, but once you throw it up, there's no going back. I just can't do it.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I adore beetroot, I eat enough of it that quite often the water in the toilet bowl turns purple when I go!

Regardless of that, from memory beetroot juice is great for stamina, but only short term. Once your body adjusts to it you don't get the benefits, you need to cycle the intake.

A guy at my work uses it for this, but mixes it with Ribena to make it taste better, dear me.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
    Hi everyone,

So after having read a bunch of research showing a great endurance benefit from using beet juice daily, I have started drinking this in the morning before my workouts.

I know that sweet potatoes are superior to bananas as a post workout energy source, but was wondering about using beet juice post workout instead since this is much easier.

I am training for an ironman so I need the extra energy.

Lonnie
    sounds like carb heaven. enjoy the rapid aging

Blanchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    sounds like carb heaven. enjoy the rapid aging
    Um. What?
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

carbs = glycated proteins
    glucose = rapid again

If you are stuffing your face with refined sugar multiple times a day, every day, then you might have some problems (the least of which being rapid aging). However, the OP is discussing drinking beet juice post-workout. Most of that sugar is going to immediately go towards replenishing muscle glycogen. Furthermore, the idea that carbohydrates as an entire macronutrient group are "teh evilz" is laughable. We've spent decades demonizing fat as a macronutrient, so to go in the completely opposite direction and demonize carbohydrates is just silly. Indigenous cultures around the world thrive on tubers and fruits, and in my own experience, I have seen zero negative effects from carbohydrate intake.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    If you are stuffing your face with refined sugar multiple times a day, every day, then you might have some problems (the least of which being rapid aging). However, the OP is discussing drinking beet juice post-workout. Most of that sugar is going to immediately go towards replenishing muscle glycogen. Furthermore, the idea that carbohydrates as an entire macronutrient group are "teh evilz" is laughable. We've spent decades demonizing fat as a macronutrient, so to go in the completely opposite direction and demonize carbohydrates is just silly. Indigenous cultures around the world thrive on tubers and fruits, and in my own experience, I have seen zero negative effects from carbohydrate intake.
    and here we go again with the glycogen loading. oh geeze ive just worked out im gonna dye if I dont replenish my glyogen! change your enzyme and become fat adapted. relying on glycogen for your muscle contractions on slows you down, check out this video from dr. greg ellis
    Glycogen Loading is a Major Dietary Blunder - YouTube

Glycogen loading wasn't my point (nor do I think it is absolutely necessary- I just finished working out, and I'm in the middle of a 24-hour fast). BUT, in the context of the original post, the sugars found in the beet juice would immediately be converted to glycogen, and not have time to kick around in the bloodstream and form AGE's. The main idea that I wanted to communicate is that carbohydrates as a macronutrient group are not detrimental, and it is entirely possible to consume them while maintaining a high level of health.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast