Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Butter Evil ??? page

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Interesting Post by Dr Davis.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/butter-and-insulin.html

An even more interesting rebuttal by Peter.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2010/03/butter-insulin-and-dr-davis.html

Where are we?

Is butter bad or is it good?

I am with Peter on this one.

The outcome is Insulin is not evil. If it was Butter would be evil. But insulin is not always the one responsible for fat gain.

Tarlach is offline Member

Butter is semi-evil.

Avoid butter, avoid the insulin and it's win win.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Its not just Butter, all fats are implicated ;-). You didn't read the article I guess. The research shows that Fats have a higher insulin response than Pasta. Butter has the highest response.

kilton is offline Junior Member

Dr. Davis's take on that study is a joke. Pasta was part of the meal in each case. It's already known that carbs + fat can result in a higher insulin response than carbs alone. But fat by itself does no such thing. For example: http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...leo-works.html

Some comments made it out as if the fat was being taken alone, and that the paper was just not very consistent with its language.

Even then according to Peter butter with carbs will provide a higher fat loss than carbs, even though you are eating more.

The FFA graph shows that FFA for Butter is high and keeps higher for a long time. Showing availability of fats from adipose tissues.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member

I am still in the butter is good camp. I don't think insulin is some type of poison that is out to make us sick and fat; our bodies produce insulin to regulate where our energy goes. Looking at the study, blood glucose had very little variation in the groups but the butter group had higher FFA and trigs circulating. It might be too simplistic, and I don't claim to be an expert, but to me it makes sense that the body would say "get some of the energy out of the blood" and thus secrete more insulin.

maba is offline Senior Member

Dr.Eades had tweeted a while ago that eating potato with butter reduces the insulin spike than potato alone. I'm confused now!!

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Really, read Peter's response. .

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I read the heartscan blog post last week and the thought that butter might be bad had me very, very sad! Glad to read the thoughts so far that maybe it's not so cut and dry...

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

@maba

I also thought that way.

But having higher FFAs is good. It allows you to use fat for energy. And Butter supposedly keeps the FFAs higher than the other fats.

I now think that Insulin is mostly irrelevent to fat loss. There is something else that makes FFAs available. And that something is the crucial thing.

It seems that Palmitic acid is more important for fat loss, as it signals fat burning, just like Insulin signals glucose burning.

Since butter provides palmitic acid, it prevents glucose burning and keeps fat burning, even when insulin is high.

I am not sure if that will not be a problem, when you have palm oil with lots of rice. What is the body going to do, with large amount of glucose and palmitic acid at the same time? I would think Insulin production will skyrocket. This might not be good for the pancreas, but what do I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast