Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Butter Evil ??? page 2

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

can you further that explanation a bit more im lost on the palmitic acid thing...if butter has palmitic acid and prevents glucose burning then that would make sense why carbs + butter = weight gain? so palmitic acid benefits those who want to stay in ketosis all the time, but not so much for people who eat say like 30% carbs?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Um, as a type 1 diabetic I can most definitely say that fat would not trigger an insulin response! I have to inject my insulin before I eat. If I eat pasta I will need to take maybe as much as 25 units of insulin. If I eat a meal of fat and protein I would only have to take 3 units! Why would the body release insulin for something that doesn't raise blood glucose levels? Don't make the slightest bit of sense. I have never had to inject because I ate butter.

maba is offline Senior Member

Not sure if this is relevant to this discussion, just wanted to share this. I had a small amount of rice and lentils with about 2-3 tsps of ghee for breakfast and I don't think I've felt this sleepy after breakfast in many days. That's probably because this is not my usual breakfast. Not sure if it's the rice, the lentils, the ghee or the combination of it all that's making me sleepy.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@StoneAgeQueen

Insulin is not the same as Glucose.

If you don't eat carbs Glucose level cannot rise.

Insulin is secreted by Pancreas, so it can go high. Actually it is required to go high so that the nutrients in the food go to the cells. Its not like fat has no nutrients.

Insulin also tells the cells to only use glucose, that is why when you are not eating carbs, the palmitic acid is required to tell the cells to not take in glucose and start burning fat. Otherwise the glucose level in the blood will go too low.

Since you are diabetic type 1, you pancreas are already dead, so you cannot make Insulin. This will require you to take in Insulin with every meal even if you don't eat carbs, just to use the nutrients in your food.

The high rise probably is because of palmitic acid (in butter) forcing a higher requirement of Insulin for the small amount of carbs in the food.

I know all of that.

What I was trying to say is that it's unlikely the body would produce a surge of insulin in the body if there was not excess glucose present in the blood. So it kind of happens the wrong way round for me- if I eat something that produces a lot of glucose and obviously my body can't produce insulin itself, my blood glucose levels will shoot up if I don't inject insulin. This has never happened with butter or other fats.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

But Insulin is required for all nutrients not just glucose. So there should be a surge of insulin, even when you eat only meat. Whey is known to produce a very high insulin surge.

Did you test insulin after eating fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I don't test my insulin I test my blood glucose levels. I test about 10 times a day or more because I'm meticulous about my control. I have to inject after eating something with carbs, even if it's just a few vegetables. But if I ate something that was purely fat, I don't take any insulin. Otherwise my blood sugar would get low and require me to eat carbohydrate quickly. So after eating fat, there is no rise in BG levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12