Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Of all the worst CW foods, which would you eliminate first? page

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member

Smile Of all the worst CW foods, which would you eliminate first?

Hello All,
    So I need some advice as to which of these foods I should give up first. I tried cutting out all of them at once and realized i am not in the mind frame to do that..just yet. I have a LOT of stressors due to what re work wise, and the last thing I need or have time for is obsessively worrying about my food intake. I figured that it would be easier to just eliminate a bad food for a week (I can easily keep track of that) then move to the next. I am reading the primal blueprint but have only read 4 chapters so i am not sure if Mark answers this question already.

I have heard that wheat is really bad but I have also heard that hydrogenated oils, etc. My big thing is snacking when I am in my office while drinking my coffee. I will either have some type of cake type snack from SB or just like hard candy sans wheat but has all these gross oils and preservatives. I know I could snack on better things like nuts and veggies but I feel like I need to slowly move into that head space without feeling I am "punishing" myself. The weight is still coming off, slooooowly but it is. So i was wondering which "toxic" food would you recommend I cut out first? which is the "best" of the worst in other words from your personal experience?

*please I really do not need any smart-a$$/rude responses, even if you think my question is stupid, I just want some genuine advice*

also any other kind of bad list food such as artificial sugars, etc....not just wheats and bad oils

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    If you want to eliminate foods, it would probably be best to eliminate super processed sweets in my opinion. Think donuts, twinnkies, ho hos, etc.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    also any other kind of bad list food such as artificial sugars, etc....not just wheats and bad oils
    The evidence is lacking in terms of harmful effects of artificial sweeteners.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lawyerchick, I hope this is going to help you:

The first thing I did was to simultaneously cut out bread and pasta - but keeping whole grains (cooked, hot cereal, like buckwheat) and adding more fat to my diet (to 25-30% fat). At the time I used canola and olive oil. I also cooked every item I ate myself, with the exception of canned fish and all natural ham. It took about 2 years to completely stop craving baked goods.

That one thing cut out hunger and much of my problems with starved, dizzy feelings.

The other huge change for me always happens when I have enough discipline not to eat sugars, natural and unnatural. That cuts calories I require to eat full by another 20 or so percents, and actually leads to weight loss.

For a while I was overdoing it with sugar-free gum and pop, but dropping them was easy, and I do turn to them again once in a while, though I found that they do cause unpleasant bloat and even more unpleasant belching (eww).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Lawyerchick12 --

Good for you for recognizing that for you, it's better to transition to primal rather than dive in head first and possibly drown. Everyone is different, so while going whole hog (so to speak) may work for some, for others, it doesn't.

Instead of picking the worst offender, how about focusing on one thing at a time? So for the first week, either reduce or avoid wheat. For the next week, bump that up to include grains besides wheat. For the third week, make that all grains, including rice and corn (which, for TPB, counts as a grain). Once you feel pretty good about that, move on to start reducing added sugars and processed foods. And then move on to limiting/avoiding cooking oils other than olive oil/coconut oil/EVOO/etc. Or start preparing your own foods.

The key, in my opinion, is to go slowly and try different things.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Give up:
    Sugar and all forms of it the first week.. Drink lots of filtered water and green tea with lime
    Grains and all starchy foods the second week

Eat:
    Grass fed meats, seafood, dairy
    Organic veggies and fruits
    Macadamia nuts & olives for snacks
    Walnut and/or almond butter on apple slices - wonderful and filling

Thank you so much guys!
    Sometimes you just need to hear from others who have been in this lifestyle longer.

Consensus seems to eliminated high process sweets that include wheat, flour, sugar etc....that is what I am doing/will do this week. I already gave up grains weeks ago apart from white rice...which will stay...for now, but i eat mainly sweet potatoes and plantain...yum.

I do not have any trouble for the most part when I am home. I make my own meals for the most part when i home as well. I think I just still have this mindset of turning to processed snacks when I am stressed and at work and I am at work way longer than I would like to be. I can find a way to break out of that mindset, I know I will be well on my way to be at least 90% primal.

I will challenge myself to cut all processed snacks this week and move on to candy etc. I am not even three days of being totally wheat free and my lower pouch on my tummy is already flattening down.

At any rate....thank you all!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Never leave home without plenty of snacks to get you by until you can get to a healthy meal.
    Take your coffee/tea and always filtered water with you.
    Eat a good breakfast soon after getting up.
    Take a multi-vitamin and any other supplements with bkfast.
    If you're having anxious, overworked moments at work, consider taking a L Theanine tablet upon waking.
    Remember to get out in the sun even for 12-15 mins daily and do some sort of exercise everyday.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lawyerchick, I know it can be hard to avoid those processed snacks at work--especially when you have coworkers who seem to live only on processed snacks. My coworkers are generous and bring in plenty of donuts, cake, and cookies to share... ugh! (Cookies are my weakness. I avoid the coffee machine area as much as possible!)

I make my own beef and bison jerky, which is chewy and salty, and satisfies that "want a snack" urge but is still very healthy. If you don't have time to make your own beef jerky, you might be able to find some that doesn't have some form of sugar as the second ingredient at a local health food store. You can also do a 'net search for natural or organic beef jerky and order some that way. Ordering it online can be a bit pricey, but if you compare the cost to the price of vending machine snacks, you get a lot more for your money with jerky!

Nuts are also a good snacking alternative, as long as you don't binge out on them. I just take a single portion to work with me, so when they're gone, they're gone. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are also great finger-snack foods!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast