Thread: Cleans and squats on a pulley page

orielwen is offline Senior Member

Cleans and squats on a pulley

Shop Now
    My gym doesn't have any free weights, bar a set of dumbbells 110kg.* I'm trying to do some compound lifts on the pulley machine. But I have a couple of beginner problems.

In order to do a deep squat, I have to set the carriages to their lowest setting (just above the floor). I can't see any way to get the bar onto my shoulders in the first place other than lifting it over my head. The trouble is that I can't press as much as I can squat! How should I get into the starting position?

I'm also trying to do cleans, or clean-and-presses. I can dead-lift quite a bit, but I can't manage to do the grip-change to bring the bar level with my chest for anything over than the third setting (a resistance of 6.25 on each side; I have no idea what units that's in nor how it translates into weight equivalent). Which means I can't actually lift it all the way. Is this something that will come with increased strength, or is there a knack which I'm not getting?

*It's a few machines in a glorified cupboard under the stairs in the local swimming pool. But it's five minutes walk from my house instead of three-quarters of an hour, which is the difference between going and not going.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    At the risk of sounding flippant get a real gym or move to bodyweight exercises until you can.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    At the risk of sounding flippant get a real gym or move to bodyweight exercises until you can.

This.

You will hurt yourself trying to do squats or clean and press on a cable machine. It will be impossible to get proper loading- there will always be a posterior vector to the weight on the cable machine versus straight vertical with a barbell. This will provide unequal loading on your spine.

Cable machines work ok for assistance exercises that they're designed for, but you cannot replicate large, compound lifts with them.

Get yourself a real gym, focus on bodyweight work, or get yourself a sandbag until you can.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    OK.

Real gym is too far away, so bodyweight it is then.

But if I'm not supposed to do squats on a pulley, how come the poster on the wall showing suggested exercises includes a squat?