Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do things calm down? page

greengirl is offline Junior Member

When do things calm down?

I'm only on day two and I'm crawling out of my skin for a cracker or toast. I had three strips of bacon, a cabbage and carrot salad with olive oil and a celery stalk with 2-3 TBS of Adam's peanut butter and water. That was four hours ago and I'm ravenous. I then ate some almonds (20) and that lasted me less than half an hour. Will this crazy craving for carbs stop soon?

Also I'm coming off of three years of vegetarian thinking and so the idea that beans are bad and grains cause problems is new to me. I've also read that potatoes are bad for you but I see here on MDA that potatoes are OK. I've never felt full without some kind of starch in my meal be it corn or potatoes and that's how I was raised. Eating just meat and veg leaves me famished quickly. So is eating paleo just meat/veg take time to adjust or are some starches really ok too?

Thanks!

magno is offline Junior Member
    Eat 4 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon and an avocado. You'll feel much better.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Try some sweet potato. Bacon to me is more of a side decoration, it's not something I tend to fill up on, and certainly not off 3 strips.

What happens if you eat a steak and a mound of pumpkin, broccoli and leafy greens?

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    There's two main adjustments that you'll have to get through. The first is your body getting a little more comfortable with using a mixed fuel source. The second (and at least as important) is getting adjusted to the new way of feeding yourself. The meal you mention is pretty light (along with containing peanuts which aren't on the favorable list for this diet, but not a huge issue). Try getting some more substantial food in your diet, it might be a little rough as a former veggie but keep working towards eating full pieces of fatty meats and even eventually offal meats.

Starchy stuff isn't bad to add back in once you've started to adjust to the diet but the "full" feeling that it gives is super temporary and won't last you as it's really just a physical feeling of full not a hormonal full brought on by actually consuming nutrients. That's where the massive amount of butter on top comes in =)
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Hello all!

Are sweet potatoes ok then? What's the difference between a regular white and a sweet potato? Yams?

Ok, will up the bacon and eggs and add avocado. (faints. lol!)

" What happens if you eat a steak and a mound of pumpkin, broccoli and leafy greens?"

Um, my head will explode from how awesome that sounds? lol! Goodness, I'm really going to have to rewire my thinking. Thank you for the suggestion.

Alex,

Yeah, I didn't know about the peanuts till a bit ago (saw them listed on the 30 day packet.). Will have to go back to other nut butters.
    Thanks for clearing up the starch info. So I will adjust to no starchy stuff? I've been so reliant on grains like quinoa and oatmeal that the thought of not eating them throwing me for a loop. I had NO idea that quinoa was not OK.

Thank you all!

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I'd be hungry if I ate the same thing as you.

This is what I eat to be full for a long time:

Burp:

Chicken,

GOOD GRIEF!!! Oh,boy, this really is a new way of eating/looking at things. I do love steak, had a very tasty one last week at an upscale steak restaurant, but,um, THAT'S A LOT OF STEAK!!! lol! And an avocado. *sigh* ; )

Thank you for the pic. Will file that one away in my memory banks for when I'm grocery shopping.

Yeah, I get that a lot. When I go out to eat, I'll order a family size steak and the servers always ask if I'm expecting more people. And when I finish the food, they are always amazed that I can fit all that food in my tummy.

The thing about eating like this is, I only have space for 1 meal a day. That's my routine. I have dinner everyday. That's it.

It will not work for everyone, but for me, it's a delicious, hunger-free, dead easy way of maintaining 10% bodyfat.

Life doesn't get better than this...

Chicken,

Wow! One meal a day? Do you have this dinner meal at dinner time or in the morning?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup, at dinner time. It's works the best as it's the only meal that the whole family sits down to eat together.

However, when I go on business trips, if the hotel breakfast is really good, I'll just switch to having my meal at breakfast time.

If however, there is no option but to have breakfast, lunch and dinner due to social reasons, I'll just simply control my breakfast portion (cos I tend to eat til I'm stuffed), and then lunch and dinner will work themselves out. I will eventually end up with about the same amount of food as my 1 huge meal.

It's really stress free and flexible.

I just make sure that my food quality is high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast